Will the Orioles ever to be able to compete with the big markets like San Diego and Colorado??

TradeAngelos

Think it is a pretty valid question IMO. Seeing these teams just with so much money rolling in and spending 30m for Machado and now 35m for Arenado has me really worried about our future and the future of the sport. I mean how in the world can the Orioles match up with these teams when trying to retain/acquire players?? Seems like a futile effort honestly. Players see all the glitz and glamor of playing in San Diego or the snow of Colorado, and the boatloads of cash they have to operate with and teams like ours just have no shot. Perennial winners that are right on the doorstep of winning multiple championships with a long storied tradition, just two more behemoths to contend with. Think it is time to go with a full Rays model and just keep churning young talent too maybe catch that lightning in a bottle one season so we can talk about how great "rebuilding" is year after year.  Those five B and C level prospects we get in 5 years for whoever we draft at 1 this year will provide dividends for years to come. Heck with all the "rebuilding" going on might have a 3 year run of that with just prospects on top of prospects.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I think the team will spend when the time is right. Right now the time IS NOT right. 

Recent history seems to support that notion.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the combination of sufficient resources and intellegent approach can achieve in Baltimore.

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

Would you please stop using facts?  ;)

I just can't stand it when people conveniently ignore that we had it pretty good recently.  Yeah, things aren't perfect but for awhile there we won some games and had some fun and spent a good chunk of money doing it.  

There's no reason to spend like that now.  Padres have the #1 system, they should be good in a few years.  Colorado wants to keep Arenado for life, looks like.   We don't fit into either scenario.  And that's ok.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just can't stand it when people conveniently ignore that we had it pretty good recently.  Yeah, things aren't perfect but for awhile there we won some games and had some fun and spent a good chunk of money doing it.  

There's no reason to spend like that now.  Padres have the #1 system, they should be good in a few years.  Colorado wants to keep Arenado for life, looks like.   We don't fit into either scenario.  And that's ok.

The Orioles spent money, just not as wisely as some believe they should have.

The haters will just keep trolling on. [Not you my friend]

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hear ya.  We gambled on Davis and lost.  But I agree, let's stop pretending that this team doesn't spend money.

Before the payroll blew up to 165 million. I asked if the team traveled well, or was they tightwads or cheapskates like some posters were alleged.

The answer was, no, they travel well, and they are not tight.

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hear ya.  We gambled on Davis and lost.  But I agree, let's stop pretending that this team doesn't spend money.

Trumbo, Ubaldo, and others.

Team has spent money on payroll for a small/mid market town.

Just not the wisest.

Almost like my teenagers and their allowance, its was always blown, but not on the right priorities.

Archived