Will the Orioles ever to be able to compete with the big markets like San Diego and Colorado??

TradeAngelos

31 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

If the time is not right to resign a homegrown future HOF'er, it never will be with this franchise.

The team hit the reset button when they hired Elias and removed Peter Sr from the day to day operations. I'm not going to judge them for the Manny debacle because it was an inherited mess. Right now I feel confident that they'll open their wallet when they need to. I don't see a need for us to operate like the Rays. If they build a winning team ownership will make money. If Tampa builds a winning team they still won't fill half their stadium. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hear ya.  We gambled on Davis and lost.  But I agree, let's stop pretending that this team doesn't spend money.

Would you like me to provide you with the "facts" of how this organization, outside of ONE lone contract in Davis, hasn't signed a significant free agent of note in the last 20 years? How they just let a generational talent walk out the door to....San Diego?? I have the spreadsheet if you want to see it, quite the record of the Orioles "spending money". Yeah the payroll "blew up" for a year or two when a bunch of players just happened to come up for arb at same time and we really had no choice but to keep them without a full on fan revolt. We like to ignore those "other" 15 years before that don't we? Also it is cute that everyone ignores the sea change after 2006 when we started owning another teams TV revenue and claim that we are this middling little small market franchise just scraping up pennies to get by. I guess the 4th largest combined TV markets and us getting flooded with most of the revenue just aint worth much these days. We all know the big money comes from ticket sales in MLB, not TV. Keep hope alive Moose, and watch those (cheap) kids out there this season. Might as well get used to it. 

Just now, TradeAngelos said:

Would you like me to provide you with the "facts" of how this organization, outside of ONE lone contract in Davis, hasn't signed a significant free agent of note in the last 20 years? How they just let a generational talent walk out the door to....San Diego?? I have the spreadsheet if you want to see it, quite the record of the Orioles "spending money". Yeah the payroll "blew up" for a year or two when a bunch of players just happened to come up for arb at same time and we really had no choice but to keep them without a full on fan revolt. We like to ignore those "other" 15 years before that don't we? Also it is cute that everyone ignores the sea change after 2006 when we started owning another teams TV revenue and claim that we are this middling little small market franchise just scraping up pennies to get by. I guess the 4th largest combined TV markets and us getting flooded with most of the revenue just aint worth much these days. We all know the big money comes from ticket sales in MLB, not TV. Keep hope alive Moose, and watch those (cheap) kids out there this season. Might as well get used to it. 

Sure.

Miguel Tejada, Javy Lopez, Raffy Part 2.

Do I need to read the rest of your complaint?  Or are those examples good enough for you?

Depends on how you define the word 'significant'  but I think Ubaldo Jimenez absolutely had a 'significant' impact on our franchise.  We extended homegrown players like Jones and Markakis.   But I get that since you've decided to only care about FA that means you get to discount them.

We spent money on FA at times.   We just spent it as if we had no idea what we were doing with it.   

5 hours ago, TradeAngelos said:

Think it is a pretty valid question IMO. Seeing these teams just with so much money rolling in and spending 30m for Machado and now 35m for Arenado has me really worried about our future and the future of the sport. I mean how in the world can the Orioles match up with these teams when trying to retain/acquire players?? Seems like a futile effort honestly. Players see all the glitz and glamor of playing in San Diego or the snow of Colorado, and the boatloads of cash they have to operate with and teams like ours just have no shot. Perennial winners that are right on the doorstep of winning multiple championships with a long storied tradition, just two more behemoths to contend with. Think it is time to go with a full Rays model and just keep churning young talent too maybe catch that lightning in a bottle one season so we can talk about how great "rebuilding" is year after year.  Those five B and C level prospects we get in 5 years for whoever we draft at 1 this year will provide dividends for years to come. Heck with all the "rebuilding" going on might have a 3 year run of that with just prospects on top of prospects.

Honestly can't tell if this post is satire or not.  If so, its good.  My favorite line is in bold.

Archived