Will the Orioles ever to be able to compete with the big markets like San Diego and Colorado??

TradeAngelos

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sure.

Miguel Tejada, Javy Lopez, Raffy Part 2.

Do I need to read the rest of your complaint?  Or are those examples good enough for you?

Hahaha you just proved my point. Tejada signed a 6/72 deal 2 years after Arod signed a 10/250. We really went above and beyond with that one. Tejada made the same amount in his last year of arb as he did in his first year as an Oriole, and he was 30 at the time.  I won't even waste my time on the absolute nonsense of including Javy Lopez and Raffy Palmerio, not to mention the fact the only (1) you could come up with over a 20 yr player was nowhere near a top of market player. It's a trail of tears when it comes to the Orioles spending any type of money on significant players, and that is a fact jack. 

10 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Hahaha you just proved my point. Tejada signed a 6/72 deal 2 years after Arod signed a 10/250. We really went above and beyond with that one. Tejada made the same amount in his last year of arb as he did in his first year as an Oriole, and he was 30 at the time.  I won't even waste my time on the absolute nonsense of including Javy Lopez and Raffy Palmerio, not to mention the fact the only (1) you could come up with over a 20 yr player was nowhere near a top of market player. It's a trail of tears when it comes to the Orioles spending any type of money on significant players, and that is a fact jack. 

Wait a minute...

Is your argument that the Orioles should have paid more for Tejada to signal to the fan base they're serious players?  

33 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Keep moving the goalposts.  If your standard is a 200+ million contract, you're gonna be disappointed.  

The premise of the opening post is fatally flawed, in my opinion.  

The Orioles have spent over $100 mm on payroll the last six years in a row.    They spent $140mm+, $160mm+, $150mm+ over the last three seasons.

The Padres have spent over $100 mm exactly once in their franchise history, several years ago when they spent $125mm, then went right back under $100 mm the following year.  The O’s spent more in each of the last three years than the Padres have ever spent in their history.    Even with Manny’s contract, the Padres’ payroll this year will only be about $90 mm.

The Rockies have spent over $100mm twice — $106mm+ in 2017 and $136mm+ in 2018.    The Rockies have never spent as much as the Orioles spent in each of the last three years.   This year they will be close to what the O’s spent in 2016.

The Rockies, by the way, drew over 3 mm fans last year and have never drawn under 2.5 mm since 2007.    The Padres have drawn between 2.12 - 2.46 mm every year this decade.    The Orioles’ high water mark this decade is the same as the Padres, but they have been as low as 1.56 mm and had 1.73 mm and 1.75 mm in two other years this decade.    

In short, the O’s have shown they are willing to spend.    That spending was poorly allocated and got them lousy results the last two years.    It’s time to reinvest in infrastructure and the minor leagues.    It’s not time to chase after expensive players.    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Orioles have spent over $100 mm on payroll the last six years in a row.    They spent $140mm+, $160mm+, $150mm+ over the last three seasons.

The Padres have spent over $100 mm exactly once in their franchise history, several years ago when they spent $125mm, then went right back under $100 mm the following year.  The O’s spent more in each of the last three years than the Padres have ever spent in their history.    Even with Manny’s contract, the Padres’ payroll this year will only be about $90 mm.

The Rockies have spent over $100mm twice — $106mm+ in 2017 and $136mm+ in 2018.    The Rockies have never spent as much as the Orioles spent in each of the last three years.   This year they will be close to what the O’s spent in 2016.

The Rockies, by the way, drew over 3 mm fans last year and have never drawn under 2.5 mm since 2007.    The Padres have drawn between 2.12 - 2.46 mm every year this decade.    The Orioles’ high water mark this decade is the same as the Padres, but they have been as low as 1.56 mm and had 1.73 mm and 1.75 mm in two other years this decade.    

In short, the O’s have shown they are willing to spend.    That spending was poorly allocated and got them lousy results the last two years.    It’s time to reinvest in infrastructure and the minor leagues.    It’s not time to chase after expensive players.    

Owned. Thread over. lol

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Frobby just took the OP out back to the woodshed.  

21 hours ago, jsbearr said:

Orioles were the second highest leveraged club to estimated revenue. About 60% those last few years, second to Tigers.  Padres benefit with a lot of young, cheap talent.  They will probably be around 45-50% this year.

Why are the Orioles so leveraged?  Angelos got the team cheap.  They pay next to nothing for rent on the stadium.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Why are the Orioles so leveraged?  Angelos got the team cheap.  They pay next to nothing for rent on the stadium.  

Maybe Peter Angelos is a bad man and wasted all his money on family, law firm, horses and charity.  I know he lost a ton in Greek investments and in the 2008 crash. But so did many Billionaires. I don't  know any of them, but I suspect I would not care for them. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wrap it up.   We're done here.   Well said sir.

Archived