Manny: O's didn't show me any love

TonySoprano

4 minutes ago, oriole said:

I have to agree with this. He had some petty antics while here but for the most part he seemed like a good guy. After he got out of the O’s clubhouse he seemed to show his true colors. Of course none of us know this for sure but it’d be quite circumstantial for his personality to take a nose dive (even when considering his tantrums) after the trade. 

If he had been playing for another team and pulled those "petty antics" on the O's would you think he seemed like a good guy?

If he had thrown a bat?

If he had spiked Schoop?

If he had smacked Wieters in the head on his backswing a couple of times?

Charged the mound and took a swing at an Oriole pitcher?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he had been playing for another team and pulled those "petty antics" on the O's would you think he seemed like a good guy?

If he had thrown a bat?

If he had spiked Schoop?

Lets not forget being the most popular player on the team but blowing off fan fest 2 different years. 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he had thrown a bat?

If he had spiked Schoop?

No. Considering my membership on this board my bias should be apparent. Also, while he was in Baltimore I watched him every day. When he’s gone, I see the highlights. The stuff you mentioned gets lost in the mix when they’re outliers. I still liked him up until his comments today. My bias has faded. Such is the world of professional sports I suppose. 

Manny, you didn't show me any love. I rooted for you, cheered for you, but you dogged it, and made no effort. You're no Brooks Robinson, Cal Ripken, or even Eddie Murray. You may have Hall of Fame potential, but you didn't show us the love. We had high hopes for you, but you were in this for yourself. Goodbye, and fair well.

12 hours ago, atomic said:

I agree.  I am glad the Manny show is over.  The team was by far the worst in baseball with Manny on the team last year.  And the Dodger's didn't try to sign him either.  I think at some point he needs to just grow up. 

He is getting more like Arod than Arod. 

30 minutes ago, linedrive said:

Manny, you didn't show me any love. I rooted for you, cheered for you, but you dogged it, and made no effort. You're no Brooks Robinson, Cal Ripken, or even Eddie Murray. You may have Hall of Fame potential, but you didn't show us the love. We had high hopes for you, but you were in this for yourself. Goodbye, and fair well.

Perfect post to end this thread on.

36 minutes ago, linedrive said:

I know Orioles fans like to portray themselves as blue collar, grind it out type of people that appreciate blue collar, grind it out type talent.  Flashy and hot-doggin' doesn't work in ol' Balmer, hon.  Ain't no room for Miami flash n dash in Dundalk.

But you can't look at this highlight reel and say Manny dogged it:

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'll miss him.

I'm willing to put up with some immaturity and bone-headed behavior if you're an all world talent.  I wrote this last year, he was a jerk but he was OUR jerk.  Guys like Pedroia, Papi...Sox fans loved them, we hated them because they were jerks.  But it felt good to have one of those guys on our team for once.  Sure, throw your bat at Donaldson, take a whole minute to trot around the bases.  Are you a 5+ win player?  Fine by me.  

It doesn't seem like his teammates didn't like him, so there's that, too.  There were never any "anonymous sources" saying how he was a diva, how he wasn't liked.  

This is pretty much how I feel. Not everyone is Brooks or even Cal. I never approved of Mannys behavior, but as long as he performed and he didn’t lash out at teammates, etc, It wasn’t the end of the world. 

Based on his wording it sounds like he wanted to stay in Baltimore, I'm kind of sad that we couldn't do it. I get that he's hot headed and everything, but all that stuff never bothered me when he was on our side. Unfortunately the timing of injury made the front office to extend him early. Even after he became great though, I think we could have signed him if we didn't give away awful contract after awful contract. As soon as we got a competent front office and less hands on owner situation, we cratered making the need for the rebuild inescapable.

He also got a 5 year opt, not a 3 year opt out making it pretty unlikely he would come back when we're good.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he had thrown a bat?

If he had spiked Schoop?

I 100% wouldnt bat an eyelash over anything on this list except for the bat throwing, no matter who he played for.

I'm maybe a little biased for giving him a half-pass for the bat throwing incident.  But that definitely wasn't a good look.  The other things on the list, while a bit uncouth, are at least within the vicinity of legal.

Also, on-field antics aside, there wasn't any grumbling about him being a bad teammate, and off the field he has never had issues with the law or whatever.  

4 hours ago, Hallas said:

I 100% wouldnt bat an eyelash over anything on this list except for the bat throwing, no matter who he played for.

I'm maybe a little biased for giving him a half-pass for the bat throwing incident.  But that definitely wasn't a good look.  The other things on the list, while a bit uncouth, are at least within the vicinity of legal.

Also, on-field antics aside, there wasn't any grumbling about him being a bad teammate, and off the field he has never had issues with the law or whatever.  

His tendency to smack catchers in the head on his backswing does bother me.  Head trauma isn't a joke.

His comments remind me of the Wesley Snipes character from The Fan. Almost like he's trying to play the role of entitled and spoiled brat. Maybe he still has a lot of growing up to do. But bragging about private jets and being shown love and respect based on dollar signs is pretty weak stuff. 

15 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

It’s weird.  I can’t get even slightly emotionally invested about Manny Machado one way or the other.  Great ballplayer, but I just couldn’t get excited about rooting for him when he played for us (I got excited for the team, but not Manny) and I certainly am not excited about what he thinks about his time here.  Good luck to him.

Yeah it is hard to think of a great player in baseball as naturally dislikable as Manny.  I guess the only comparable to me would be Terrell Owens.  

Archived