Elias: Sisco looks great on defense

wildcard

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, how many innings has he caught this spring?     He’s played in 5 games (before today) and I’m pretty sure he was DH in at least two of them.     Not much basis for judgment.   I’m glad Elias is being complimentary but I wouldn’t take what he says too seriously.    He’s going to say positive things.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Seriously, how many innings has he caught this spring?     He’s played in 5 games (before today) and I’m pretty sure he was DH in at least two of them.     Not much basis for judgment.   I’m glad Elias is being complimentary but I wouldn’t take what he says too seriously.    He’s going to say positive things.

Drills and bullpens are a thing.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

20 innings (4 of his 5 games) prior to today per mlb.com.

Apparently his throws to second aren't any faster than last year.

16 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

20 innings (4 of his 5 games) prior to today per mlb.com.

Apparently his throws to second aren't any faster than last year.

Which was good for 65th out of 67 with a min of 10 attempts.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/poptime

Apparently average was 2.01...Caleb was 2.04 last year, Wynns and Sucre 2.01. The real question is, how much does this matter? Put another way, what would be the difference in steals, and runs, between him and someone who is just average? I would wager (but don't know) that things like pitch blocking and framing are more important.

5 minutes ago, makoman said:

Apparently average was 2.01...Caleb was 2.04 last year, Wynns and Sucre 2.01. The real question is, how much does this matter? Put another way, what would be the difference in steals, and runs, between him and someone who is just average? I would wager (but don't know) that things like pitch blocking and framing are more important.

I would wager you are correct.  Also, the ability to scoop throws and make tags.  That literally saves runs.  

8 minutes ago, makoman said:

Runners steal bases on both the catcher and the pitcher. Not much a catcher can do when a runner has huge jump, pitcher throws it in dirt or a breaking pitch that takes more time to get there. A great defensive catcher with big arm and excellent pop time helps stop runners, but there are few of them in the game - especially ones who can also produce with the bat. 

15 minutes ago, makoman said:

He does everything poorly when it comes to throwing the ball.  Poptime, velocity, exchange are all some of the worst in baseball.

If you look at a 70 runner, the difference between being average in those and being Sisco is a shade over four feet.  If you compare him to an excellent thrower like Realmuto, then the difference is about 8.5 feet.  Which...is fairly stunning.

What it does is put a whole lot of pressure on him throwing an accurate ball to the glove or a throw with a good bounce as well as the middle infielder being particularly adept at applying a tag.  A catcher like Realmuto makes things a little easier.

His blocking and framing skills are considered below average, but they may have improved if that is what Elias was noting.  Scouts I talk to think of him as a UTL-C.  Sort of like a usable third catcher.  Of course, he has yet to be placed at other positions.  Maybe he proves those guys wrong.  I have been down on him for years.  Very difficult profile to succeed with.

16 minutes ago, jsbearr said:

He does everything poorly when it comes to throwing the ball.  Poptime, velocity, exchange are all some of the worst in baseball.

If you look at a 70 runner, the difference between being average in those and being Sisco is a shade over four feet.  If you compare him to an excellent thrower like Realmuto, then the difference is about 8.5 feet.  Which...is fairly stunning.

What it does is put a whole lot of pressure on him throwing an accurate ball to the glove or a throw with a good bounce as well as the middle infielder being particularly adept at applying a tag.  A catcher like Realmuto makes things a little easier.

His blocking and framing skills are considered below average, but they may have improved if that is what Elias was noting.  Scouts I talk to think of him as a UTL-C.  Sort of like a usable third catcher.  Of course, he has yet to be placed at other positions.  Maybe he proves those guys wrong.  I have been down on him for years.  Very difficult profile to succeed with.

The difference between 2.01 seconds and 2.11 seconds is 4 feet? That isn't right, that equates to a sprint speed of 27 MPH. The fastest sprint speed in baseball is under 21 MPH.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

The difference between 2.01 seconds and 2.11 seconds is 4 feet? That isn't right, that equates to a sprint speed of 27 MPH. The fastest sprint speed in baseball is under 21 MPH.

Ugh, right, I need to correct that. I was using a different value definition. Cut that in half.

6 minutes ago, jsbearr said:

Ugh, right, I need to correct that. I was using a different value definition. Cut that in half.

27 minutes ago, jsbearr said:

If you look at a 70 runner, the difference between being average in those and being Sisco is a shade over four feet.  If you compare him to an excellent thrower like Realmuto, then the difference is about [6] feet.  Which...is [fairly stunning.

EDIT:

My formula was double counting a part.  Sorry about that. 

So the difference is about 3 feet below average or 6 feet below someone like Realmuto.  

Ps & Cs have been in camp for a lot longer than a few games.  Maybe Sisco is showing better pop times in practice and that has not yet translated to much better times in games.  Maybe Sisco is being credited for more accurate throws or better blocking/framing.  Time will tell if Elias is adding to the Spring Training fluff stories or if he truly believes Sisco is showing better defense and Chance ends up our OD catcher.  I will give the nod to Elias for now.

Archived