What of Bundy?

scOtt

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Orioles have horrible options for a starting rotation.... and yet I'm not at all sure Bundy should be in the rotation

He was horrible the second half of last year and looks even worse in ST.

Perhaps they can turn him into a closer, perhaps he could get a jump in velocity if he only pitched 1 inning stints.

I still don't get why they didn't go in and look at cleaning up the arm from reports it is calcium build up but why can they not clean that up some and maybe get a few more mph on the fastball.  I don't really know how calcium buildup works just kinda a though like when your ligaments are rubbing not giving you they flexibility that you used to have.  It seems to me last season in august they should have shut him down and looked into it and did a minor surgery to see if it helps instead of just expecting it to be fine come spring.

I watched some of the game today. The FB just isn't there. The breaking ball is okay. He knows how to pitch. He just doesn't have the stuff.

I don't want to be a doomsday guy. I don't want to read too much into ST. But, it's hard to watch him and not be concerned. 

21 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Does he know how to throw a knuckle ball or knuckle curve?

In my opinion the answer to Bundy's problem isn't another pitch. He already has 4 and his change up this spring looks to have considerably more drop than previous seasons. His issue is FB command within the zone. The pitch is straight, lacks velocity, and he has a tendency to groove it. It even comes and goes during the same batter.

I think Bundy has enough going for him in the way of the quality secondaries and pitchablity to be a successful starter, even with a 90-92 FB if it's spotted well. The thing that stumps me is he doesn't miss much in the middle of the plate with his offspeed pitches. He rarely hangs his slider and can command it to both sides of the plate. His curve isn't all the great but he doesn't tend to finish it in the middle of the plate very often. His change up seems to be developing into a good pitch, and when he misses it's typically away and down.

His fastball however just seems to gravitate towards the middle of the plate. When it does, batters just don't miss it. I'm not sure if it's something that he can improve at this point or not, but part of me hopes that he's athletic enough and has enough body control to figure it out. I'd love to see him become an effective, if not elite member of the rotation.

2 minutes ago, SurhoffRules said:

In my opinion the answer to Bundy's problem isn't another pitch. He already has 4 and his change up this spring looks to have considerably more drop than previous seasons. His issue is FB command within the zone. The pitch is straight, lacks velocity, and he has a tendency to groove it. It even comes and goes during the same batter.

I think Bundy has enough going for him in the way of the quality secondaries and pitchablity to be a successful starter, even with a 90-92 FB if it's spotted well. The thing that stumps me is he doesn't miss much in the middle of the plate with his offspeed pitches. He rarely hangs his slider and can command it to both sides of the plate. His curve isn't all the great but he doesn't tend to finish it in the middle of the plate very often. His change up seems to be developing into a good pitch, and when he misses it's typically away and down.

His fastball however just seems to gravitate towards the middle of the plate. When it does, batters just don't miss it. I'm not sure if it's something that he can improve at this point or not, but part of me hopes that he's athletic enough and has enough body control to figure it out. I'd love to see him become an effective, if not elite member of the rotation.

Good scouting report. I remember Bundy's fastball being very straight last year, that might have been ok when he was throwing 97-99 MPH. After his injuries, he is going to have to work on location, location, location. 90-92 FB is batting practice if he continues to throw it over the middle of the plate. 

Apparently he really sucked in spring training last year too.

Then he started out April really hot.  2.97 ERA in 6 starts with 44 K's in 36 innings.

Then after that..........we can say some results were more mixed.

Point being I think some guys just kinda phone it in in Spring Training and aren't going max effort.  Just trying to get stretched out, work on stuff, etc.  Wouldn't surprise me if that's what Dylan's doing here.

27 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Apparently he really sucked in spring training last year too.

Then he started out April really hot.  2.97 ERA in 6 starts with 44 K's in 36 innings.

Then after that..........we can say some results were more mixed.

Point being I think some guys just kinda phone it in in Spring Training and aren't going max effort.  Just trying to get stretched out, work on stuff, etc.  Wouldn't surprise me if that's what Dylan's doing here.

I hope you're right. 

Archived