What of Bundy?

scOtt

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He’s never going to be what we hoped.     Injuries just sapped his speed, though it was there in 2016.   Hopefully Brocail can work with him on his FB to develop a bit of movement and command it better.   I still harbor some hopes of him developing into a solid starter even if he’ll never be the ace we dreamed he’d be back in 2012.    But even that modest hope looks iffy.

11 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Bundy doesn’t just need a few more ticks in velocity he needs a jump to the high 90’s for his fb to be effective because it’s so straight/flat or he needs to develop some movement on on it. 

This just isn't true.  Bundy has been plenty effective sitting 92-94 T 95.  Sitting 89-91 and T 92 doesn't cut it though.  The fastball has always been flat. 

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I fear the worst. Where's @Cy Bundy to tell us all how wrong we are ???

o

I'll sit in for him.

Bundy will be the first Orioles pitcher in 35 years to win 20 or more games in a single season in 2019.

o

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

Point being I think some guys just kinda phone it in in Spring Training and aren't going max effort.  Just trying to get stretched out, work on stuff, etc.  Wouldn't surprise me if that's what Dylan's doing here.

It may be some of that. He did say afterwards he's working on his offspeed. Said he only threw two curves, wanted to throw more to try it in certain situations but never got a chance. Said he'll try to do that next time out.

That being said he needs to work on getting the FB out of the middle, like Surhoff Rules said. Needs to find the edges. Thing is the FBs that weren't down the pipe, mostly high ones, the Minn hitters just flicked them foul. He's not throwing the ball by anyone.

He definitely tired in the 5th, but that's just building up innings I think.

44 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we've got different definitions of "plenty effective," hombre. 

Well, that's where Bundy was (92-94) in 17 when he put up a 4.20 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP.  That's also where he was for most of last April when he pitched to a sub 3 ERA.  If you don't consider that 'plenty effective' while pitching in the AL East, you must have some pretty high standards. 

Just now, ChuckS said:

Well, that's where Bundy was (92-94) in 17 when he put up a 4.20 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP.  That's also where he was for most of last April when he pitched to a sub 3 ERA.  If you don't consider that 'plenty effective' while pitching in the AL East, you must have some pretty high standards. 

How'd last year finish up?  

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

How'd last year finish up?  

Might want to reread my previous post. 

He was 89-91 most of the second half and he was terrible.  He's gotten much better results when he has a decent major league fastball.  Nowhere did I say he was plenty effective in 2018 over the full course of the season. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Might want to reread my previous post. 

He was 89-91 most of the second half and he was terrible.  He's gotten much better results when he has a decent major league fastball.  Nowhere did I say he was plenty effective in 2018 over the full course of the season. 

I know.  But if you're going to point to 2017 and April of last year as to why he can be a decent starter and ignore the rest of 2018...well, I'm going to point to the majority of last year as to why he can't.  

And apparently today he wasn't breaking 90 later in his start today.    Now maybe that's just ST, and he's working at 90%, but it's getting closer to real games.  

I don't have faith that he can be 92-94 all year.  I'm not sure why I should.  

Archived