The Davis Release Poll

interloper

The Davis Poll - Make Your Prediction  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question: How long does he last? Stake your claim!! [2019-2020]

• Released before the start of the 2019 regular season
    • Released during the 2019 season before the All Star break
    • Released during the 2019 All Star break (7/8 thru 7/11)
    • Released after the 2019 All Star break but before the end of the season (7/12 thru 9/29)
    • Released during the MLB postseason
    • Released during the offseason
    • Released during ST 2020
    • He is not released and makes it to regular season 2020

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

The goal of patience isn't to draw walks.  The goal is to be more selective at the plate--to not swing at balls, and to not swing at "pitchers' strikes" when you are ahead in the count.  Being more selective means that you will be swinging at a higher fraction of pitches that you have a good chance to drive.  As a byproduct, being selective means you will also draw more walks, which is a good thing too.  But being selective doesn't mean abandoning aggression at the plate.  A selective hitter is very aggressive towards pitches in his wheelhouse.  

Selectivity is a skill and it can be taught and learned, although obviously having outstanding vision and hand-to-eye coordination help.  

It's very unusual for someone to progress from 25 walks per 500 PAs to being a selective hitter.  It would be outstanding growth if Mountcastle ever walked 50 or 60 time in a full season. 

When Chris Davis went from 6.5% to 13.2% that was almost unbelievable.  I don't know that I've seen any examples of better growth than that.  Maybe Sosa, but he was somehow slugging .737 and being intentionally walked a lot.

Mountcastle is at 4.4%, which is about as low as any successful hitter can go.  I think his realistic ceiling is 8% or so.

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's very unusual for someone to progress from 25 walks per 500 PAs to being a selective hitter.  It would be outstanding growth if Mountcastle ever walked 50 or 60 time in a full season. 

When Chris Davis went from 6.5% to 13.2% that was almost unbelievable.  I don't know that I've seen any examples of better growth than that.  Maybe Sosa, but he was somehow slugging .737 and being intentionally walked a lot.

Mountcastle is at 4.4%, which is about as low as any successful hitter can go.  I think his realistic ceiling is 8% or so.

And historically speaking, isn't it more likely that the rate will actually go in the other direction upon promotion to the big leagues?

13 hours ago, LA2 said:

And historically speaking, isn't it more likely that the rate will actually go in the other direction upon promotion to the big leagues?

That's highly dependent on the type and effectiveness and maturity of the hitter.  Joey Rickard walked in 13% of PAs in the minors, 6% in the majors.  Ryan Braun, randomly picked him, 8% both majors and minors.  Christian Yelich, 10.6% majors, 10.6% minors.  Adam Jones 4.4% majors, 7.1% minors. Joey Votto 16% majors, 13% minors.

• 1 month later...

If he continues to be this inept (and I certainly think he will), then I will be pretty frustrated if he's on the 2020 opening roster. He will definitely start to impact Mountcastle and others next year....and at some point enough is enough regardless of who's behind him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Davis over last 16 games, going back to June 21:

.294 BA (15 for 51, incl. 5 two-hit games and despite an 0-12 spell immediately after the All-Star Break)

.350 OBP, .451 SLG, .801 OPS.

5 BBs, 2 Doubles, 2 HRs, 8 RBIs, 20 Ks.

And has played first base beautifully.

Currently batting .191, he could break both the .200 mark and .600 OPS with a great game tonight. Davis is also an amazing (relatively speaking) .275 / .415 / .373 / .788 with RISP for the season (14 for 51, 18 RBIs, 12 BBs, 24 Ks).

26 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Davis over last 16 games, going back to June 21:

.294 BA (15 for 51, incl. 5 two-hit games and despite an 0-12 spell immediately after the All-Star Break)

.350 OBP, .451 SLG, .801 OPS.

5 BBs, 2 Doubles, 2 HRs, 8 RBIs, 20 Ks.

And has played first base beautifully.

Currently batting .191, he could break both the .200 mark and .600 OPS with a great game tonight. Davis is also an amazing (relatively speaking) .275 / .415 / .373 / .788 with RISP for the season (14 for 51, 18 RBIs, 12 BBs, 24 Ks).

What the heck, man? This is The Davis Release Poll thread. Why don’t you go start the Davis Is Part of the Rebuild thread?

?

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

What the heck, man? This is The Davis Release Poll thread. Why don’t you go start the Davis Is Part of the Rebuild thread?

?

Haha, sorry, but I was loath to start yet another Davis thread and chose this one to at least play devil's advocate in.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Like I said the last time he had a mini-hot streak, I’m happy for him, but I would need to see two straight months of decent hitting before entertaining any real hope that it meant something.    

He was so hot the two months before he got that contract that it made us forget. Something happened for those two months. Never again. 

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Like I said the last time he had a mini-hot streak, I’m happy for him, but I would need to see two straight months of decent hitting before entertaining any real hope that it meant something.    

That’s not fair, Davis has always been streaky. Besides, like Trumbo, he’s a good dude.