Sherill being looked at by phillies?

Saintbird

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't really think I'd want Mike Jacobs. I just don't see where we would play him, especially if we get Tex.

I expect Reimold and Scott to be in LF and DH. If we get Tex he's at first. So really no room for Jacobs.

His .282 OBP is pretty dismal as well.

I agree, however you are assuming we will get Tex. Jacobs is a pretty good back up plan if you asked me. I am assuming that we can probably only land 1 big time FA so I if Had my drouthers I would get Jacobs and let the One big target be a SP like CC or Sheets etc...

However it might be easier to convince Tex to come here as opposed to one of the SP.

I would also add that if our front office does not make a move solely because they "beleive" they might sign the Biggest Offensive FA this year I wouls be more then dissapointed in them.

If we are daydreaming about possible trades w/ philly, I thought I would forward this website to you all. Seems like somone has put together a nice consolidated list of the top thirty prospects in the philly's organization.

http://phuturephillies.com/2008/06/19/quick-update-on-my-top-30/

If I were AM, I would look for a Donaldson, Mattair, and Galvis...mainly b/c I think we need to focus on infield prospects. From what I've read, it seems to me that Donaldson is a solid if not unspectacular prospect with questions still lingering about his defense and position. He's at worst a utility player in the majors. Galvis and Mattair intrigue me...especially Galvis. I think getting Donaldson and Galvis would be a major coup.

ps...I ate at Bookbinders in Philly over the weekend, and it agreed well with me. Frankly, I'm not excited about trading Sherill...so I hope that AM secures a few prospects (seems like quantity is MO)

I agree, however you are assuming we will get Tex. Jacobs is a pretty good back up plan if you asked me. I am assuming that we can probably only land 1 big time FA so I if Had my drouthers I would get Jacobs and let the One big target be a SP like CC or Sheets etc...

However it might be easier to convince Tex to come here as opposed to one of the SP.

I would also add that if our front office does not make a move solely because they "beleive" they might sign the Biggest Offensive FA this year I wouls be more then dissapointed in them.

I'd rather keep Huff, Jacobs really isn't that good. He hits Hr's but has a very low BA and OBP. I'll pass.

If we are daydreaming about possible trades w/ philly, I thought I would forward this website to you all. Seems like somone has put together a nice consolidated list of the top thirty prospects in the philly's organization.

http://phuturephillies.com/2008/06/19/quick-update-on-my-top-30/

If I were AM, I would look for a Donaldson, Mattair, and Galvis...mainly b/c I think we need to focus on infield prospects. From what I've read, it seems to me that Donaldson is a solid if not unspectacular prospect with questions still lingering about his defense and position. He's at worst a utility player in the majors. Galvis and Mattair intrigue me...especially Galvis. I think getting Donaldson and Galvis would be a major coup.

ps...I ate at Bookbinders in Philly over the weekend, and it agreed well with me. Frankly, I'm not excited about trading Sherill...so I hope that AM secures a few prospects (seems like quantity is MO)

Cardenas & Carrasco are the only ones that I actually like.. Really not that impressed with the list.

For what it's worth, both Happ and Donald are expendable as far as PHI is concerned. Donald is obviously blocked by Utley and Rollins, and Happ (while making strides this year at AAA) still only has a mid-rotation ceiling. I don't know if you guys have kicked the tires on these two, but here is my take.

Donald has the hands and footwork to stay at SS, though his arm is only average and his range is lacking. Just like Cal, he makes up for his lack of range with good positioning and reads off the bat. He looked very good at the Futures Game alongside Pennington, though he was a little clunky after getting to a ball up the middle (he was able to eventually get the ball to Pennington for the force but could not turn two). i believe he also threw a ball away on a DP, but that might have been Valaika (blanking right now). I would be happy to give him a shot at SS and just let him slide over to 2b whenever Roberts can no longer handle it. He's a gap-to-gap hitter, but I'd prefer he not be relied upon as a top 2/3 of the order hitter. A future lineup with him hitting 7th would be aces in my book.

Happ's biggest improvement has been his walk rate -- dropping his BB/9IP from 4.7 at AAA last year to 3.1 at AAA this year. He gets by more on deception than pure stuff, but his fastball/changeup combo should be enough to get out ML hitters. He won't be a front-end guy, but he could be a solid back-ender with a #3 ceiling. At 6'5" 205 he passes the eye-test and should hold up fine over the course of a ML season.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Oh, and if AM is able to sneak in a third player, I'd look for someone like Antonio Bastardo. He's another fastball/changeup strikeout pitcher with an "okay" breaking pitch (sort of a slurvy slider). At 5'11" 185ish I have doubts he can be a starter long term. He's my type of "throw-in" to target -- fringe starter stuff that could be good almost right away in the pen. He's at AA Reading righ now and holding his own.

EDIT -- I just went back and looked at my notes -- it was Valaika that threw a ball away. Donald made a nice pivot after receiving a good feed from Pennington.

EDIT 2 -- Donald threw a different ball away (as pointed out by Pruke). Valaika's was not an error because it was on the back end of a DP.

Whats your opinion on Savery and Outman?

Sherrill for Utley and Hamels.

He's signed for 2 years, and is a league leader in saves, so we should net league leaders in other statistical categories. It's only fair. Also, with Liz sent down, we need pitching.

Are You Serious???

I dont know why in the world you'd think they'd be interested in dealing Utley.

Teams loading up to contend trade prospects for the players they get at the deadline. Not their star players. Mcphail wants 2 players that are close to ready .... You know Prospects.

Are You Serious???

I dont know why in the world you'd think they'd be interested in dealing Utley.

Teams loading up to contend trade prospects for the players they get at the deadline. Not their star players. Mcphail wants 2 players that are close to ready .... You know Prospects.

I'm pretty sure it was a joke.

Sherrill for Utley and Hamels.

He's signed for 2 years, and is a league leader in saves, so we should net league leaders in other statistical categories. It's only fair. Also, with Liz sent down, we need pitching.

Sherrill isn't the league leader in saves.

Archived