Wieters: So is this how it's going to be?

mallison

Well I will let you be the judge on whether strategy deemed them necessary, but here were the game situations based on the game log from Bowie's website:

Top 1st Inning: Score 0-0, Men on 1st and 2nd with 0 outs. Weiters walks.

Top 3rd Inning: Score 0-1 (Bowie Leads) with 1 run already scoring in the inning, Man on 2nd with 2 outs. Weiters walks intentionally.

Top 5th Inning: Score 0-2 with 1 run already scoring in the inning. Man on 2nd with 2 outs. Weiters intenionally walked.

Top 6th Inning: Score 0-9 with 4 runs already scoring in the inning. Bases empty with 2 out. Weiters walks.

IMO, the IBB were called for in the sense that you walk the .333 power hitter to get to the .250 power hitter. He certainly wasn’t being IBB’d to set up the double play.

I agree with others that the order should be rearranged…Nettles just doesn’t provide enough protection.

Well I guess when you are that good, the situation does dictate to walk you more than the average player. You are right though, the double play wasn't needed.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is nitpicking but I would make a distinction between the words talent and performance. AA does have more talented players but they haven't reached their potential yet. So a AAAA guy who knows the tricks of the trade may be more effective in the minors and a more difficult matchup for young hitters but he doesn't have the ability to be a regular in the majors. A talented player who hasn't reached his potential yet may be less effective at the moment but could turn into a major league regular or star.

I agree with your overall point I just wouldn't call a AAAA player more "talented" even if he is temporarily more effective.

Ok...I think were on the same page....if we leave out the semantics....:D

I would suggest that there are AAAA players....journeymen?....at the AAA level who serve not only as backups for the ML teams, but are also there to serve as paid teachers/mentors for the young budding stars coming up through the various systems. It's become a job rather than still living the dream of becoming a star. This is probably true at every MiL level. Think "Bull Durham."

It's interesting you mentioned Jones and Markakis because Jones had 800 AAA at bats while Markakis (who is older) had none.

In their journey through the low minors up to AA, both Jones and Markakis put up Eddie Murrayish type stats, indicating they were instinctively very good hitters. And Jones, like Murray, spent some time at AAA. It may be of no consequence, but I would venture to say there is a definite correlation between “talent” and “performance,” with performance largely being achieved through “experience.” This is why I inserted the qualifier “good hitter” into the equation. IMO, a good hitter (talent) is more likely to improve (performance) by progressively seeing better pitching (experience) at the various MiL levels.

In their journey through thelow minors up to AA, both Jones and Markakis put up Eddie Murrayish type stats, indicating they were instinctively very good hitters. And Jones, like Murray, spent some time at AAA. It may be of not consequence, but I would venture to say there is a definite correlation between “talent” and “performance,” with performance largely being achieved through “experience.” This is why I inserted the qualifier “good hitter” into the equation. IMO, a good hitter (talent) is more likely to improve (performance) by progressively seeing better pitching (experience) at the various MiL levels.

I'm confused ... what was the question again?

This just in : Matt Wieters is good.

3-3 tonight with a dong and 4 rbi's.

Oh, my. It seems increasingly possible that we have an even better prospect on our hands than anyone dared to dream.

I'm rapidly moving toward the "please call him up" crowd.

Oh, my. It seems increasingly possible that we have an even better propsect on our hands than anyone dared to dream.

Oh yeah... totally possible. He's absolutely tearing the cover off the ball right now. He must be seeing beachballs out there.

Do you keep a hitter like this at catcher? For such a dominating hitter (so far, I'll try to keep my cool here :) ), do you really want him to continue catching if he brings this to the big leagues?

Oh, my. It seems increasingly possible that we have an even better propsect on our hands than anyone dared to dream.

Be careful!!!! You don't want to draw unnecessary attention to yourself...

But, I agree with you. If this guy's not ready, nobody ever was.

Be careful!!!! You don't want to draw unnecessary attention to yourself...

But, I agree with you. If this guy's not ready, nobody ever was.

Did you hear Buck Martinez jibba jabbing about how the o's prospects need to earn their promotion not just expect it. How in the heck is he not earning the guy is just flat out raking!!

Did you hear Buck Martinez jibba jabbing about how the o's prospects need to earn their promotion not just expect it. How in the heck is he not earning the guy is just flat out raking!!

I doubt Buck has seen Wieters in person or even really knows the numbers he's stacking up...

I understand the conservative perspective and I do appreciate it in some cases, but good lord, this guy is just silly.

I doubt Buck has seen Wieters in person or even really knows the numbers he's stacking up...

I understand the conservative perspective and I do appreciate it in some cases, but good lord, this guy is just silly.

I disagree. He has a show on XM radio, MLB Homeplate, and he always talks about the O's. He knows exactly what Weiters is doing, I can bet you on that.

Sometimes his talk might be a little overblown, but he does know who our prospects are. He has talked about them before on the show.

"Everyone" looks at Wieter's MiL #'s....only 324 AB's at A & AA by the way.... and is ready to pronounce him "ready" for the ML. What if "everyone" is wrong? What if he isn't ready? What will "everyone" say if he turns out to be Larry Bigbie instead of Albert Pujols?

The question: Is "everyone" willing to take the chance of thwarting the development of....without question....the best prospect this team has seen since Eddie Murray?

I prefer to play it safe. While I'm not opposed to a September call-up for a look-see, bringing him up now and throwing him into the mix could be a mistake.

"Everyone" looks at Wieter's MiL #'s....only 324 AB's at A & AA by the way.... and is ready to pronounce him "ready" for the ML. What if "everyone" is wrong? What if he isn't ready? What will "everyone" say if he turns out to be Larry Bigbie instead of Albert Pujols?

The question: Is "everyone" willing to take the chance of thwarting the development of....without question....the best prospect this team has seen since Eddie Murray?

I prefer to play it safe. While I'm not opposed to a September call-up for a look-see, bringing him up now and throwing him into the mix could be a mistake.

I can appreciate playing it safe, but to compare Bigbie's MiL numbers to Wieters' isn't a reasonable comparison.

Thwarting? Bigbie instead of Pujols? What are you talking about? A one-month wait will makes this difference (call-up now versus September?)

Are those his options? Superstardom or AAAA player? Or are you just drawing false dichotomies?

You don't need to respond. We already know the answer.

Archived