Minor League Summaries are up

weams

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/30/2019 at 7:38 AM, weams said:

He has am .868 OPS in Norfolk, where the air is heavy and Christian Walker went to die. 

3 hours ago, weams said:

Despite folks deriding the juiced ball effect on Mountcastle. He's still dominating the league with his bat. A lot of hits. And he hits them hard. 

The two full years Walker played in the International League, the league OPS was .689 and .697. This year it’s .793, so basically 100 points higher.    Mountcastle is at .863, .070 over league average.   Walker was +.059 and +.060 his two years.   I would definitely not say Mountcastle is “dominating” the International League.   What I would say is that he’s having a very solid season there, at a pretty young age for the league (he’s 22; Walker was 24-25 when he played there).    

By the way, it’s not just homers that are way up in the International League.   It’s BA, doubles, walks, OBP.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The two full years Walker played in the International League, the league OPS was .689 and .697. This year it’s .793, so basically 100 points higher.    Mountcastle is at .863, .070 over league average.   Walker was +.059 and +.060 his two years.   I would definitely not say Mountcastle is “dominating” the International League.   What I would say is that he’s having a very solid season there, at a pretty young age for the league (he’s 22; Walker was 24-25 when he played there).    

By the way, it’s not just homers that are way up in the International League.   It’s BA, doubles, walks, OBP.    

The ball is responsible for those?

5 minutes ago, weams said:

The ball is responsible for those?

I’d say probably yes.   Fly balls that would be caught carry further and turn into either doubles or homers.   That leads to increased BA.   In this environment pitchers are more cautious and that leads to more walks.    

Of course, there could be more going on than just the balls.    

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Dominating is overused and misused on this site.  You are guilty.  He is doing very well and especially hot lately.

I like my feelings on this. No need to talk guilt. We all have it. Just on different issues. 

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d say probably yes.   Fly balls that would be caught carry further and turn into either doubles or homers.   That leads to increased BA.   In this environment pitchers are more cautious and that leads to more walks.    

Of course, there could be more going on than just the balls.    

There would have to be. Probably climate change. 

55 minutes ago, weams said:

There would have to be. Probably climate change. 

Minnesota set an all time low for July the other day.  You must be talking about the coming ice age. ?

Sorry, politics!

45 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Minnesota set an all time low for July the other day.  You must be talking about the coming ice age. ?

Sorry, politics!

It shouldn’t be politics.   It should be objective analysis of scientific facts.    But I guess we’re on Krypton now.

For Immediate Release: July 31, 2019

KNIGHT EARNS FIRST CAROLINA LEAGUE WIN

KNIGHT SPINS SEVEN INNINGS, JARRETT BLASTS 10th HOME RUN

FREDERICK, MD – The Frederick Keys (14-24, 43-64) won their third straight game 5-2 against Myrtle Beach Pelicans (20-20, 41-66) on Wednesday night behind Blaine Knight’s excellent start. Knight (1-8) earned his first Carolina League win, holding the Pelicans to two runs on six hits while he walked two and struck out five over a career-high seven innings. The Keys offense scored five unanswered runs after falling behind 2-0, capped off by Zach Jarrett’s two-run home run in the seventh inning.

After the Pelicans scored a pair of runs in the fourth inning, the Keys immediately answered in the top of the fifth. With runners on first and second and two-outs, Patrick Dorrian hit an infield single that Cadyn Grenier scored on to cut the deficit in half. Jarrett then followed with an RBI single to tie the game a 2-2.

Knight gave up the two runs in the bottom of the fourth. The Pelicans capitalized on three base hits in the inning, including RBIs from Tyler Durna and Grant Fennell. Delvin Zinn led off the fifth inning with a double and Knight walked Wladimir Galindo on four pitches after that, but he buckled down to retire the side and set down three-straight in the sixth.

Tied 2-2 in the seventh, Robbie Thorburn doubled on the second pitch he saw and advanced to third on Daniel Fajardo’s single. Dorrian then lofted a sacrifice fly to give the Keys a 3-2 lead, and Jarrett followed with his 10th home run of the season to push the lead to 5-2.

Pelicans starter Alexander Vargas (2-3) was pulled after that. Vargas gave up all five runs on nine hits and struck out three in 6.1 innings. Ethan Roberts made his way out of the inning after the Jarret home run.

Knight allowed the first two runners to reach in the seventh but got three quick outs to end the inning and cap off a career-high seven-inning start.

Reed Hayes then came in relief and was dominant. Hayes (S, 1) walked a pair of batters in the eighth inning but rolled a double-play to get out of the jam and finished off the ninth to pick up his first Carolina League save.

Jarrett finished 2-for-5 with three RBIs while Dorrian went 2-for-4 with the other two runs batted in. Fajardo also tallied three hits for the first time this season.

The Keys conclude their three-game series with the Pelicans on Thursday, August 1. LHP DL Hall (3-4, 3.52) takes the mound for the Keys opposite RHP Javier Assad (3-7, 3.84) for the Pelicans. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm, with pregame coverage starting at 6:50pm on frederickkeys.com and the Tune In radio app. 

The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League’s Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com.

www.FrederickKeys.com-

Archived