Grayson Rodriguez 2019

WalkWithElias

13 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

Wow. What a debut. 

5 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 10 K

Looking forward to seeing the reports on this outing. Our big horse is off to a great start to the season. 

I think that should be his nickname.  Grayson "Big Horse" Rodriguez.  To many ARods, EdRods, IRods, etc.

27 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Probably because he's in A ball. And a lot of publications don't scout the Lower levels in depth. If all goes well he'll get noticed more this year.

It's also a long way to go to the big leagues and a lot can go wrong between Low A ball and the Majors.  If he continues to have strong showings in Frederick and in Bowie he will rise up the lists. 

Frederick is real proving ground IMO.  Hitters park/league.  We've had several guys who performed real well in Delmarva struggle there.  Brian Gonzalez and Alex Wells (to a certain extent) come to mind.  Also Michael Baumann. Hanifee really struggled in his first start there (may or may not mean anything). 

26 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Great job Luke. I'm going through the video as well right now. I was impressed with the change so far. The female announcer was doing a great job, but she was mistaking the change for a curveball at times which tells me it had a real good tumble but it clearly was breaking away from the LH batter. 

Will discuss more after i go through the game.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Great job Luke. I'm going through the video as well right now. I was impressed with the change so far. The female announcer was doing a great job, but she was mistaking the change for a curveball at times which tells me it had a real good tumble but it clearly was breaking away from the LH batter. 

Will discuss more after i go through the game.

Yeah, she was having a lot of trouble with pitch types in general, Thursday's game too. Was really caught off guard how much feel he had for the pitch. 

By the way, I just meant my initial comment in just a offhanded way. I was thinking of the Bundy threads here on OH where it seemed dozens of posters were following every start. Although there’s s hardcore group of posters that follow certain players, I don’t remember anything relatively recent like the preinjury Bundy threads. I think it’s a combination of things like the way the Orioles handled Bundy that maximized his dominance and his first year was at the end of the forever losing. I think his injury and the blah of many Orioles prospects also lowered the excitement of some posters about young prospects in general. That is true for me. My comment was a reflection of those thoughts and not meant to be analytical. I was thinking out loud. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

By the way, I just meant my initial comment in just a offhanded way. I was thinking of the Bundy threads here on OH where it seemed dozens of posters were following every start. Although there’s s hardcore group of posters that follow certain players, I don’t remember anything relatively recent like the preinjury Bundy threads. I think it’s a combination of things like the way the Orioles handled Bundy that maximized his dominance and his first year was at the end of the forever losing. I think his injury and the blah of many Orioles prospects also lowered the excitement of some posters about young prospects in general. That is true for me. My comment was a reflection of those thoughts and not meant to be analytical. I was thinking out loud. 

Bundy threw 100+ in HS. He also threw 140 pitches in a start. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think his coach used him three times in a week. 

Here are my notes after watching him

3/6 - 1st inning: Lexington Away F - (93-94 touch 95-96) CH- 78, CV 73

1. L- B-96H, B-95I, B94I, S94O,B94O - Walk
2. R - F93, SW93, 94O hit into RF for 1B
3. L - SW78, SW94, B75CVD, SW77CU for K (1-2 change to lefty fooled him badly)
4. R - B73OCV, SW94U (Didn't check runner and allowed double steal), SW94UO for K
5. L - SW79CH, B74LID, SW79CH, SW93U for K (19P, 12S (8SW), 7B)

2nd Inning (90-91, 79-86 SL, 78Ch, 70CV)
1. (6) R- 90 popout to RF
2. (7) L- S86SL, S78CH,SW93U for K
3. (8) R- S79SLV,F91,B77SLV,B70CVLD,91 4-3 (9P, 7S (1SW) 2B)

3rd inning (90-92,Ch78-79,CV77,SL82)
1. (9) L-SW90,B90LI,79CH 3-1
2. (1) L-B90I,B89I,S78CH,78CH F-9 shallow
3. (2) R-S92O,F92,B92O,B77CV,SW82SLLO for K (12P, 7S (2SW) 5B)

4th inning (89-92, Ch77-79, SLV 79, CH76-79,CV)
1. (3) L- B92,B79CHL,92 for 1B to center
2. (4) R- B91, B91LO,B79SLVLD,B92O for BB
3. (5) R- S89O, B76CHLO, B77CH LO, F90I,S91O corner K looking
4. (6) R- F78SL, B90I, SW77CV (doing better job of looking back runners),SW91U for K
5. (7) L- S76CHLO,89 P-5 in front of mound (18P, 9S (2SW) 9B 20 9 13

5th inning (90-93, CH 77-80,SLV76-77)
1. (8) R- SW90,S79Ch,B92U,B76SLV,B75SLVLO,SW93U 22 11 14
2. (9) L-S90,F91 (bunt attempt),F93,SW92U for K 26 12 14
3. (1) L-B77ChUO,B78CHO,SW92,B80CHO,F91I,S93I for K (15P 9S (4SW) 6B

Total: 73 P, 44S (17SW) 29 B
Fastball - After 1st inning, sat 90-92 touched 93. 1st inning 93-94, touched 95-96 for balls) 44 (29 (13) 14)
Change (77-79, occasional 76 and 80) good tumble and fade and got swings and misses from lefties. When he missed he missed off the plate. Probably a high spin rate guys the way he worked up in the zone for Ks.
SL- Seemed to throw more slider but the velocity makes them more slurves than a true hard slider. Did throw a few nice ones around 80-82, but when they got into the 76-79 range they were slurvvy. Flashed average but below average pitch.

CV- Threw some slow one in the 70-3 MPH range but also some as high as 78. His curve and slider morph at times. It was a below average offering.

Shoutout to catcher Daniel Fajardo for calling a really great game. 

• Upvote 1

I find it interesting that they let Rodriguez go five innings and 74 pitches in his first outing of the year, considering how gingerly Hall was treated last year.    Hall never went 5 innings until May 13, and 74 pitches until May 6.    I don’t know if that’s a difference in philosophy between the old regime and the new one, or whether it speaks to the fact that Rodriguez is seen as a more of a horse.     

Good stuff @Tony-OH. Pretty similar to my thoughts. I've seen very good true sliders and true curveballs from Rodriguez in pre-draft and GCL video, so I'm not concerned that he lost shape on them yesterday. The only real distinction I'd make is that I'd say it's pretty difficult to put any type of grade on the curveball from that camera angle, they could have huge late depth and we wouldn't be able to see that. Also I'm pretty sure that a few of the fastballs to LHB were a different grip (2S/sinker) because they were a couple ticks slower than the rest and they had armside movement the others didn't have.