Grayson Rodriguez 2019

WalkWithElias

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

I know this is a bit premature, but when does he get promoted to Frederick? Best guess.

My best guess is 2020. 

I suppose it's possible he gets promoted second half of this season if he is just lights out, no command issues, etc. 

1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

I know this is a bit premature, but when does he get promoted to Frederick? Best guess.

Hard to say with a new regime in town.    Under Brian Graham’s watch he’d surely be in Delmarva all year.    Looking at the Astros, I see they moved Forrest Whitley very quickly at the same age.   He moved from low A (2.91 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, 13.0 K/9) to A+ at the end of June (3.16 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 14.0 K/9), then got a taste of AA in mid-August (1.84 ERA, 0.82 WHIP, 16.0 K/9).    Of course those K rates were otherworldly and kept getting better.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hard to say with a new regime in town.    Under Brian Graham’s watch he’d surely be in Delmarva all year.    Looking at the Astros, I see they moved Forest Whitley very quickly at the same age.   He moved from low A (2.91 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, 13.0 K/9) to A+ at the end of June (3.16 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 14.0 K/9), then got a taste of AA in mid-August (1.84 ERA, 0.82 WHIP, 16.0 K/9).    Of course those K rates were otherworldly and kept getting better.

Those K stats are incredible.

5 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I'm hoping Luke is right. Be nice to see Hall and GrayRod in the same year.

Mine is some wishful thinking because he'd have to be dominant to get promoted that quickly. But he is very advanced for a teenager, pure stuff not quite on par with DL Hall, but his feel and depth of arsenal are definitely further along than Hall. 

Just now, Luke-OH said:

Mine is some wishful thinking because he'd have to be dominant to get promoted that quickly. But he is very advanced for a teenager, pure stuff not quite on par with DL Hall, but his feel and depth of arsenal are definitely further along than Hall. 

Hall at the end of last year, or at the beginning?

Just now, Frobby said:

Hall at the end of last year, or at the beginning?

Definetly the beginning, maybe the end too. I'll have to see more of Grayson to be sure, but Hall's FB command isn't very good yet, it's the biggest question as far as to his future potential. Hall is very athletic though, more so than Rodriguez, so I think it'll improve. 

47 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Definetly the beginning, maybe the end too. I'll have to see more of Grayson to be sure, but Hall's FB command isn't very good yet, it's the biggest question as far as to his future potential. Hall is very athletic though, more so than Rodriguez, so I think it'll improve. 

I noticed that John Means referred to Chris Holt as the “change-up guru.”     I wonder if he’s been working with Rodriguez on his.    Of course, in the article I linked from milb.com, Rodriguez said he worked on it a lot this winter, so maybe it was all on his own.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I noticed that John Means referred to Chris Holt as the “change-up guru.”     I wonder if he’s been working with Rodriguez on his.    Of course, in the article I linked from milb.com, Rodriguez said he worked on it a lot this winter, so maybe it was all on his own.   

I wondered that as well, but Grayson said in an interview today that Josh Tomlin of the Braves (formerly the Indians) taught him the changeup grip and helped him work on the pitch in the offseason. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1