Second guessing Hyde

HowAboutThat

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I may have missed this, but why did Hyde bring up Ynoa? He’s the same one-way player, he’s not good and hasn’t been good this season.

I appreciate that he’s considered the best choice, but I don’t understand why, and haven’t seen any reasons put forward. I may have missed them.

I'm not at all sure it's Hyde's decision to make.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not at all sure it's Hyde's decision to make.

Well I would think it would be his decision because he’s the manager, but I’m asking if anyone has an idea of the reasoning for bringing up Ynoa, regardless of who made the decision..

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well I would think it would be his decision because he’s the manager, but I’m asking if anyone has an idea of the reasoning for bringing up Ynoa, regardless of who made the decision..

Mike Elias makes the call.  I would be hugely suprised if Hyde wasn't thoroughly consulted before the move was made.  The reasoning was that Wright wasn't worth caring about if he was claimed.  Ynoa is a little harder to nail down, but if he sinks instead of swimming, well this year is for figuring that stuff out, right?

19 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Mike Elias makes the call.  I would be hugely suprised if Hyde wasn't thoroughly consulted before the move was made.  The reasoning was that Wright wasn't worth caring about if he was claimed.  Ynoa is a little harder to nail down, but if he sinks instead of swimming, well this year is for figuring that stuff out, right?

I’m not second-guessing dumping Wright, although everyone wonders why it took so long.

Rather, I was wondering why Ynoa was chosen.

I suppose maybe he’s old enough and out of options that they figure he can have a chance and eat some innings while they keep developing the prospects, and then dump him when one of them is ready. 

Meh,it doesn’t really matter, I’m just wondering.

I wonder if Hyde purposely saved Severino to hit for Mullins late in the game. He had an opportunity to pinch hit for Sucre earlier and chose not to. It didn't work out ( albiet Severino should have had a walk), but it was a good move regardless in hindsight.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok re last night: the pitching choices.

i had been happy with Hyde and a quick pull. He didn’t leave guys in  for 2-3 guys too many, he would pull them before a thing bad happened.

Last night he left Phillips in too long and pulled Fry too early. Bringing in Castro might have been necessary( i don’t know what I would have done) but only because he tried to get too much out of Phillips.

And why the intentional walk? It didn’t help anything, you’ve already got the winning run on.

the defense lost the game, but the pitching choices didn’t help.

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

Ok re last night: the pitching choices.

i had been happy with Hyde and a quick pull. He didn’t leave guys in  for 2-3 guys too many, he would pull them before a thing bad happened.

Last night he left Phillips in too long and pulled Fry too early. Bringing in Castro might have been necessary( i don’t know what I would have done) but only because he tried to get too much out of Phillips.

And why the intentional walk? It didn’t help anything, you’ve already got the winning run on.

the defense lost the game, but the pitching choices didn’t help.

The intentional walk was just Hyde preferring to face Alonso rather than Abreu.    As I mentioned in another thread, I almost always oppose walking the bases loaded, especially in a 1-run game with 2 outs and a command-challenged pitcher on the mound.    Too many things can go wrong with the bases loaded — HBP, walk or even just falling behind in the count and having to throw the batter a cookie because you can’t afford to walk him.   That said, none of those things actually happened.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The intentional walk was just Hyde preferring to face Alonso rather than Abreu.    As I mentioned in another thread, I almost always oppose walking the bases loaded, especially in a 1-run game with 2 outs and a command-challenged pitcher on the mound.    Too many things can go wrong with the bases loaded — HBP, walk or even just falling behind in the count and having to throw the batter a cookie because you can’t afford to walk him.   That said, none of those things actually happened.

I agree about intentional walks in general.

and it ended up not mattering because Castro lost the game.

No specifics here, I would just say my only quibble with Hyde so far has been all the defensive hokey-pokey. Maybe this is part of the development process, and that's fine. But a lot of our defensive miscues seem to be a function of playing guys at positions they are not comfortable at (yet).

Also, I'd be curious if anyone has any numbers to show if our OF consistently lining up very deep has been beneficial (preventing XBH) or detrimental (a lot of pop-out singles) so far.

24 minutes ago, Slappy said:

No specifics here, I would just say my only quibble with Hyde so far has been all the defensive hokey-pokey. Maybe this is part of the development process, and that's fine. But a lot of our defensive miscues seem to be a function of playing guys at positions they are not comfortable at (yet).

Also, I'd be curious if anyone has any numbers to show if our OF consistently lining up very deep has been beneficial (preventing XBH) or detrimental (a lot of pop-out singles) so far.

5 hours ago,  Frobby said: 

Instinctively, it feels like they are getting burned more often on balls hit in front of them than they are saving runs on deep balls.    But you tend to notice the balls that land and assign the blame to positioning, and not notice the balks that are caught and give the positioning the credit.    It’s pretty hard for a fan to really judge how it’s working out.   

Yes.  Fans also don't do the mental calculations for run values.  It takes some multiple of bloops falling in to add up to the value of a single ball getting over the outfielder's head.

In an average no-on no-out situation:
- an out means you score .24 runs the rest of the inning
- a single gives you .83
- a double give you 1.07
- a triple gives you 1.42

The choice between playing shallow to cut off the single has to be balanced with the roughly half a run an inning an extra base hit costs you.

*  Note - from the Defense 2019 Thread

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I guess Hyde's honeymoon period is officially over? :)

The Orioles are 11-21. Their Pythagorean W-L is 11-21. He's doing ok considering Elias gave him a big bucket of nothing to worth with.

Just now, theocean said:

The Orioles are 11-21. Their Pythagorean W-L is 11-21. He's doing ok considering Elias gave him a big bucket of nothing to worth with.

Not sure I would blame the whole mess on Elias, let give them some time to see they will make changes and fix things.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Not sure I would blame the whole mess on Elias, let give them some time to see they will make changes and fix things.

Not blaming Elias for the Orioles being a bad team - but when you give a manager a bunch of AAA guys... you can't expect much.

I still think that the market was so advantageous this winter that the O's could have signed a cheap veteran or two to help them through this process. Would have given all the younger guys - and manager - a better chance to succeed.

Archived