Ryan McKenna 2019

Luke-OH

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I like McKenna and hope he turns out great but it seems a lot of people have already given up on Mullins.  A bit early for that.

I have not given up on the idea that Mullins can have a career in the majors.

I think it is clear he's not going to be a successful starting center fielder.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He can't hit LHP and he doesn't have the arm for center.

Of course he is currently dealing with more than just those two issues.

I think his range more than makes up for his arm - much like Al Bumbry.  Can't disagree with the hitting issue at this point.    

Back to McKenna, who’s the subject of this thread.    He put quite a charge into that HR.    One of the knocks on him has been that he doesn’t have much power (11 HR last year).    If he shows he’s added a bit more strength that would upgrade his profile considerably.    

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ooooh.  A play during spring training.

You have changed my mind.

Hate to go back to derailing what will hopefully be an awesome McKenna thread by the end of this year, but range isn't a quality that only plays against lower competition or in games that matter. That video showed he has good range. I actually agree with your Mullins take (even if he's a starter, he's unlikely to end up a 1st division starter), but his range should be a nice plus in his profile. 

McKenna also has great range. Hopefully between the end of last year and this year, he's exhibiting a better hit tool than Mullins. The arm should certainly be better.