Attendance 2019

Frobby

9 hours ago, Going Underground said:

i just meant the attendance will be better when the  Orioles promote Rutschman to the big leagues. Not that he will be up next year.

Attendance (at least the paid attendance they announce) is primarily based on season ticket sales.   Something good happening during a season (improved play, somebody like AR being called up) can give it a small bump during the season, but the #s won't really go up until the year AFTER the good thing happens and more people buy season tickets.

Now obviously a 1989-style turnaround shoots attendance up immediately, but barring that, good in-season developments only provide a small bump the season they happen and a much bigger bump the next year with season ticket sales.

10 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

32,289 for 1.3 million. Right at or a little short ,it looks like.

Don't forget that tomorrow night is Hangout Night.   Take that into effect in your calculations.  That should add at least 5 or 6 people to the attendance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

Attendance (at least the paid attendance they announce) is primarily based on season ticket sales.   Something good happening during a season (improved play, somebody like AR being called up) can give it a small bump during the season, but the #s won't really go up until the year AFTER the good thing happens and more people buy season tickets.

Now obviously a 1989-style turnaround shoots attendance up immediately, but barring that, good in-season developments only provide a small bump the season they happen and a much bigger bump the next year with season ticket sales.

Yeah that is why I think attendance will be down to a million next year.   Tons of no shows.  Season ticket holders cant find sellers for their extra tickets.  They cant even give them away. And how much fun is it to attend a game in an empty stadium?

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Yeah that is why I think attendance will be down to a million next year.   Tons of no shows.  Season ticket holders cant find sellers for their extra tickets.  They cant even give them away. And how much fun is it to attend a game in an empty stadium?

A million or less has only happened twice since 2003.This year and last year with the Marlins.Tough with MLB doing paid attendance and not actual attendance to go below that.NL used to do actual many years ago.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Going Underground said:

32,289 for 1.3 million. Right at or a little short ,it looks like.

11,714 paid,  not through the turnstiles, on Friday.

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Way more than the 1970 club that won the WS.

The Orioles drew 13,050/game, 12% below the average in baseball -14,787
https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/misc.shtml

On 9/20/2019 at 12:07 PM, Going Underground said:

i just meant the attendance will be better when the  Orioles promote Rutschman to the big leagues. Not that he will be up next year.

I'm not sure if one player makes that much of a difference in overall attendance. If he has an amazing year in the minors next year, and comes up in 2021, his debut game may have a bump in attendance. He would really have to have an amazing year next year to build hype for that to happen. If he hits .250 in the minors with limited power (then comes up in 2021) I don't think too many people are coming out for the debut.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Going Underground said:

A million or less has only happened twice since 2003.This year and last year with the Marlins.Tough with MLB doing paid attendance and not actual attendance to go below that.NL used to do actual many years ago.

In 2012 and 2013 no team had less than 1.5 million fans.  Very few teams had less than 1.3 million since 2003 either.   Baseball attendance is trending downward.  This year is the worst for the Orioles since 1978.  

1 hour ago, atomic said:

In 2012 and 2013 no team had less than 1.5 million fans.  Very few teams had less than 1.3 million since 2003 either.   Baseball attendance is trending downward.  This year is the worst for the Orioles since 1978.  

In 1977 it looks like the Orioles' total revenues were something like $5M.  You can infer that from this article, and by totaling up their salaries from here.  It's not quite as important to draw a huge number of people to the stadium when you can bring in $250M a year at under 1.5M in paid attendance.  If they lost 500,000 fans from the seats their ticket revenues would only go down by $13M, or 5% of total revenues.  Media revenues are far more lucrative than ticket sales.  If they really wanted to sell the place out they'd price tickets at far below where they currently are, but they'd rather maximize revenues.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

In 1977 it looks like the Orioles' total revenues were something like $5M.  You can infer that from this article, and by totaling up their salaries from here.  It's not quite as important to draw a huge number of people to the stadium when you can bring in $250M a year at under 1.5M in paid attendance.  If they lost 500,000 fans from the seats their ticket revenues would only go down by $13M, or 5% of total revenues.  Media revenues are far more lucrative than ticket sales.  If they really wanted to sell the place out they'd price tickets at far below where they currently are, but they'd rather maximize revenues.

I dont think most people would attend more games even if they were free.

27 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

I'm surprised and encouraged they drew that many last night. Looks like 100s of tickets are still available for today's game in most sections. Its going to be very close.

I think they definitely go over.Should draw  15,000 or a little more.22,556 was over the 18,000 that they thought was going to yesterday's game.Biggest crowd since the middle of August..