Sedlock off to a good start

orioles22

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/4/2019 at 9:44 AM, DirtyBird said:

What is going on with Sedlock? He hasn't pitched since 5/25.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:04 AM, Frobby said:

Good question.   Baumann and Hanifee have both started twice since the last time Sedlock pitched, and Bishop will be pitching for the second time today.    They may just be trying to manage Sedlock’s innings a little, knowing that he only threw 37 innings last year.    

After experiencing some elbow soreness, the O’s backed off Sedlock for about 4 weeks, partially just to limit his total innings for the year.     He’s scheduled to start on Thursday and says he’s feeling fine. 

https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-buzz/2019/06/sedlock-will-start-thursday-for-keys-after-being-backed-off-to-limit-innings.html

Sedlock threw 2.2 innings in relief of Hall yesterday, allowing 3 ER on 1 hit and 3 walks, striking out 4.   Two of the runs scored after he left the game with 2 outs in the 7th, so it wasn’t quite as bad as it looked.   

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Sedlock debuted for Bowie today, pitching three scoreless innings in relief, yielding one hit and three walks, striking out four.    Not bad.

If they're going to be this careful with his innings, maybe it's time to just say he's strictly a relief pitching prospect.  

8 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

If they're going to be this careful with his innings, maybe it's time to just say he's strictly a relief pitching prospect.  

What does that accomplish other than shutting off a potentially higher value path to the majors?

I agree that bullpen is his most likely path, but I don't see any reason to close our minds to the idea that he can be healthy and effective enough to be a ML starter at some point.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

What does that accomplish other than shutting off a potentially higher value path to the majors?

I agree that bullpen is his most likely path, but I don't see any reason to close our minds to the idea that he can be healthy and effective enough to be a ML starter at some point.

Being ticketed for the bullpen means that you will be developed in different ways.  You will be told focus on just two pitches rather than three or four.  You will learn how to pitch two days out of three instead of every fifth day.  If the O's know that the bullpen is his destination, he will get there faster if he focuses on it now.  I think it's clear they've made that call for Bryan Harvey; too soon to say if they've made that decision yet for Sedlock.  

33 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Being ticketed for the bullpen means that you will be developed in different ways.  You will be told focus on just two pitches rather than three or four.  You will learn how to pitch two days out of three instead of every fifth day.  If the O's know that the bullpen is his destination, he will get there faster if he focuses on it now.  I think it's clear they've made that call for Bryan Harvey; too soon to say if they've made that decision yet for Sedlock.  

And that's why I wouldn't limit his possibilities right now. I'm under the impression he has a 4 pitch mix and a starter's profile IF HEALTHY. Why take that away while they're building up his innings post-injury?

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

And that's why I wouldn't limit his possibilities right now. I'm under the impression he has a 4 pitch mix and a starter's profile IF HEALTHY. Why take that away while they're building up his innings post-injury?

I just don't buy that pitching him 3 innings once every 6 days is really building up arm strength that's going to eventually lead to him being a ML starter.  Is there evidence that that works?      

4 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I just don't buy that pitching him 3 innings once every 6 days is really building up arm strength that's going to eventually lead to him being a ML starter.  Is there evidence that that works?      

Three innings every 6 no, but they may increase the frequency.  I look at the number of pitchers who are normally going 5 or 6 innings as starters or piggy backing with someone and going 4 each and I wonder if that could be the future.  Have 10 guys at Baltimore who can pitch 5 innings well and continually piggy back them.  Almost never have to worry about the third time through the lineup.  They can all air it out a bit more.  Let starters go beyond 5 only if they are really dominating like Baumann or Hanifee the last times.  Any of them can start and any can relieve, if they are even enough.  Match the pitchers up so a finesse guy piggy backs with a power pitcher.  In AAA, even Straily has shown the ability to do three clean before he runs out of wind.  Ynoa might be workable if he got consistent.  Then you could have a pitcher to clean things up if someone falters.

17 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

But that's not really what they are doing.  He was taking his usual turns through the rotation in Frederick in April and May, going 5.2, 5, 5, 6, 6, 4, 7 and 5 IP in each of those outings.  He only had 37 IP last year and 90 IP the year before due to injuries, I'd guess they want to cap him at 100 IP max this year, possibly even less.  He is at 64 IP on the season and having him do 3 IP stints in relief for the rest of the season allows them to control his innings without shutting him down early.  I'd think the plan is to do this and if he stays healthy he should be ready for a normal starter's workload next year. 

19 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Teams have been working around innings limits for several years now. The goal is to have them continually throw more innings, but also throw over the course of a full season. I'm not saying it will work. I'm saying he was our #1 draft pick and he had a starter profile before injury. Now we're trying to get him back into condition so he can regain his future. In the process, he's put up really good numbers and reports are that his stuff is getting close to where it was before the injury.

Why on earth would we stop the plan? I understand changing our player valuation based on his injury and current stuff, but it seems way too early to me to stop his progression considering we're just over 1/2 way through his first real season back being healthy. 

Archived