Ryan Mountcastle 2019

RVAOsFan

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Except he has DHed or played first each of his last 4 games. Prior to that he had played 6 of 7 in left, but before that he had played 17 in a row at 1B.

He has only played 12 games in LF this season. I don't understand it.

They must not like him out there very much. 

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, joelala said:

They must not like him out there very much. 

Norfolk is 22 games under .500. The games have been meaningless for a long time. It really shouldn't matter if Mountcastle's defense is terrible. They should have been experimenting with him playing different positions for developmental purposes. Why did it take until August for them to start playing him in LF? If arm strength is the main defensive issue with Mountcastle, why haven't they tried playing him at 2B this year? 

17 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Norfolk is 22 games under .500. The games have been meaningless for a long time. It really shouldn't matter if Mountcastle's defense is terrible. They should have been experimenting with him playing different positions for developmental purposes. Why did it take until August for them to start playing him in LF? If arm strength is the main defensive issue with Mountcastle, why haven't they tried playing him at 2B this year? 

I agree, but a lot of developmental stuff goes on before games. They may have hit him a ton of fly balls that we've never seen, yet not played him in the outfield just because other guys need innings too. Sort of like we did with Machado at 3B years ago. Just a theory.

14 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Except he has DHed or played first each of his last 4 games. Prior to that he had played 6 of 7 in left, but before that he had played 17 in a row at 1B.

He has only played 12 games in LF this season. I don't understand it.

They probably want to keep some flexibility on the possibility of using him as a 1st baseman in the majors - especially because Mancini might not be their 1st baseman of the future - he could get traded or show that he's acceptable as a corner OFer - I think Trey's played surprisingly well in the OF.  And they have a bunch of corner OFers that may or may not be on the roster next year - Mancini, Diaz, Hayes, Santander (unless they keep him at CF), Stewart.  It probably makes sense to keep 1st base as a prime option for Mountcastle.    

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

It's worth noting that this year is also the first he's been playing 1B. He's still working on that position too.

Steve Peace played second base. Mountcastle does not really require a glove, heck they let Mancini play outfield with no training also.

I would like to see an outfield of Mountcastle  (LF) - Hays (CF) - Santander (RF) - Stewart (4th OF'er) with Mancini at 1B for the rest of the season.  No reason for any of them to be in Norfolk at this point.  At least two of the three guys on the grass would be real outfielders.  Mancini would be playing his best position and if he's here next year, that's where he should be playing.  Play Nunez at 3B for the rest of the year and make a decision on the guy's defense.  If you're going to roster Davis for the rest of the year, let him have a few at bats against righties at DH.  If this year is about development and evaluation, let's develop and evaluate.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Next year is going to be about development and evaluation too though. 

No doubt.  But seeing some of the more advanced position prospects would give me more reason to bother tuning in or showing up.  That's not a good reason to promote anyone, but it's all about me. ?

44 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

No doubt.  But seeing some of the more advanced position prospects would give me more reason to bother tuning in or showing up.  That's not a good reason to promote anyone, but it's all about me. ?

Yep, I live 1100 feet from home plate. I am going to go to a fair amount of games no matter how bad they are going to be. I would rather be entertained!

5 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I would like to see an outfield of Mountcastle  (LF) - Hays (CF) - Santander (RF) - Stewart (4th OF'er) with Mancini at 1B for the rest of the season.  No reason for any of them to be in Norfolk at this point.  At least two of the three guys on the grass would be real outfielders.  Mancini would be playing his best position and if he's here next year, that's where he should be playing.  Play Nunez at 3B for the rest of the year and make a decision on the guy's defense.  If you're going to roster Davis for the rest of the year, let him have a few at bats against righties at DH.  If this year is about development and evaluation, let's develop and evaluate.

I'd like to see that outfield from Day 1 next year. I'd get all the AAA experience I could for Hays and Mountcastle this year though.

Archived