MASN dispute update

JohnD

19 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You still have to take the bar exam and pass it.

33 percent of U of B law school graduates don’t pass bar exam.  Compared to less than 2  percent for Yale graduates. I don’t doubt that great attorney could graduate from lesser school even though odds are against it,   But I would not put Angelos in the great category.  I mentioned as just one of the reasons.  And it is a better law school than it once was.  Anyway I don’t know why everything Opinion I state people get up in arms over.  Angelos was definitely very good at what he did.  But I would not put him in the hall of fame of attorneys.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Of course they care.  You mentioned UMBC it is a top Computer Science and Engineering university in the State.  After UMCP.

My first job out of college my first project was cleaning up the database of the Georgetown University MBA alumni database.  Almost everyone was a Vice President or a CEO.  There were a few directors. 

The vast majority of Supreme Court Justices went to Yale, Harvard, or Columbia Law schools.  Remember when GW nominated that women from a lower rated school and how the immediate push back came.  

Harriet Miers was pushed back due to feelings her appointment was just cronyism, incompetence during meetings with Senators and in particular a lack of any Con Law knowledge, lack of appellate or even litigation experience, and fear by conservatives that she wasn’t going to be anti-Roe enough. She had no redeeming qualities for such a position and wasn’t really a defensible pick. She went to SMU which is like in the 50s, but I don’t recall anyone caring about that at all.

Thurgood Marshall went to Howard. Comparable ranking as U of B, in the low 100s. But this whole conversation is just dumb. 

1 minute ago, makoman said:

Harriet Miers was pushed back due to feelings her appointment was just cronyism, incompetence during meetings with Senators and in particular a lack of any Con Law knowledge, lack of appellate or even litigation experience, and fear by conservatives that she wasn’t going to be anti-Roe enough. She had no redeeming qualities for such a position and wasn’t really a defensible pick. She went to SMU which is like in the 50s, but I don’t recall anyone caring about that at all.

Thurgood Marshall went to Howard. Comparable ranking as U of B, in the low 100s. But this whole conversation is just dumb. 

Very true, dumb.

Lack of anything else worth talking about in the sports world, and pot stirers.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Speaking as a lawyer at a top law firm and a graduate of a top law school, I think you’re being a bit naive here.    First, there’s a big different between litigating car accident or individual personal injury cases, and litigating mass tort cases relating to issues like asbestosis.   The latter are very complicated and raise sophisticated legal issues.    Moreover, if those cases are being sent to you, it’s because you’re pretty good at them.

Second, I know a lot of successful lawyers at “white shoe” law firms who didn’t attend great law schools.    There are lots of reasons people go where they go, and what determines their success afterwards is their drive to succeed.    

And finally, as I already said, the issues we are discussing about the wording of the contract and the choice of arbitrators aren’t that complicated.   It doesn’t take a genius to foresee the risks.    And, Angelos wasn’t doing this by himself.    He had counsel outside his firm involved, including a guy I know who was a partner of mine a long time ago (before the MASN deal) and who is a pretty sophisticated business lawyer.

Simply put, this isn’t a case of some third rate ambulance chaser getting the wool pulled over his eyes by a bunch of Harvard lawyers who were smarter than he was.     

Speaking as another lawyer who coincidentally went to UB School of Law, UB has a great reputation in the state of Maryland.  In fact, most legal employers prefer UB Law grads because they are ready to start almost on day one as UB Law teaches more practical law while University of Maryland teaches more academia, and gets a higher ranking as a result.  I also wouldn't talk poorly of UB Law if in a court room as a lot of judges and prosecutors graduated from UB.  We graduated multiple folks who immediately went to top tier law schools.  One of my friends got a starting six figure salary at a top patent firm. I could have gotten a job at a top law firm, but I like having a life and prefer doing civil work that helps people. 

UB has flaws, yes.  I had some teachers who weren't great, but I had that at the service academy I went to as well, which is compared to having an education of an Ivy League school.  And finally, UMBC doesn't have a law school, so it cannot be better than UB, which further shows your ignorance.  UB undergrad does have issues in the undergrad program, which is why it is looking to join/merge with Coppin State or Morgan State, but the school was not originally designed as an undergrad program.  

Sorry Frobby for quoting you as you are not the ignorant source, just wanted to make sure I added to your comment, not repeat.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

33 percent of U of B law school graduates don’t pass bar exam.  Compared to less than 2  percent for Yale graduates. I don’t doubt that great attorney could graduate from lesser school even though odds are against it,   But I would not put Angelos in the great category.  I mentioned as just one of the reasons.  And it is a better law school than it once was.  Anyway I don’t know why everything Opinion I state people get up in arms over.  Angelos was definitely very good at what he did.  But I would not put him in the hall of fame of attorneys.

Your persistence on a subject you appear to be clearly ignorant about is astounding.  Law School does not train you for the bar.  The bar does not demonstrate your competence as a lawyer.  Professors, alumni, and administrators will tell you that.  Just like any standardized test it is to be used as a measurement.  The bar exam is its own beast and own school.  Literally, there are 8-10 week programs that teach you the bar exam.  People tell you studying for the bar is like a full time job.  These classes cost upwards of $2500.  Most of my classmates at UB were part time, had full time jobs, they were mothers or fathers and maybe can't afford to take the entire summer off or afford for the courses. 

I cannot speak to the students at Yale only having met a few, but my educated guess is they or someone they know could assist them or had the resources to be able to study more than the average student at UB (my assumption, and I would be surprised if I'm wrong, but the majority are younger and straight out of college).  Or if you are paying the exorbitant fees to attend that school, an extra 2 months of not working and course debt doesn't seem that much.  

To Angelos, he may be an ambulance chaser or a bad lawyer, I don't know, but to garner the net worth that he has doing what he does tells me he is good at something.  

1 minute ago, jarman86 said:

Your persistence on a subject you appear to be clearly ignorant about is astounding.  Law School does not train you for the bar.  The bar does not demonstrate your competence as a lawyer.  Professors, alumni, and administrators will tell you that.  Just like any standardized test it is to be used as a measurement.  The bar exam is its own beast and own school.  Literally, there are 8-10 week programs that teach you the bar exam.  People tell you studying for the bar is like a full time job.  These classes cost upwards of $2500.  Most of my classmates at UB were part time, had full time jobs, they were mothers or fathers and maybe can't afford to take the entire summer off or afford for the courses. 

I cannot speak to the students at Yale only having met a few, but my educated guess is they or someone they know could assist them or had the resources to be able to study more than the average student at UB (my assumption, and I would be surprised if I'm wrong, but the majority are younger and straight out of college).  Or if you are paying the exorbitant fees to attend that school, an extra 2 months of not working and course debt doesn't seem that much.  

To Angelos, he may be an ambulance chaser or a bad lawyer, I don't know, but to garner the net worth that he has doing what he does tells me he is good at something.  

The paper shingle on the wall behind the person's desk, is meaningless to if they know how to do their job.

Some of the skaters who went to Ivy league schools thanks to Daddy's money and into Daddy's firm, in a made up position, can't hold a stick compared to somebody that earned their degree, studied and worked their arse off for it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

There are a few reasons...but as an example, you state a rather large number of opinions as unassailable fact.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

The paper shingle on the wall behind the person's desk, is meaningless to if they know how to do their job.

Some of the skaters who went to Ivy league schools thanks to Daddy's money and into Daddy's firm, in a made up position, can't hold a stick compared to somebody that earned their degree, studied and worked their arse off for it.

Lol, for example, #45.  That's the other thing I don't get is how many of these kids, mommy and daddy pay for them to get in and get a degree.  Give a large enough donation to a school and your kid will get a degree, the GPA will be a 2.0, but no one asks that.  

7 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

Lol, for example, #45.  That's the other thing I don't get is how many of these kids, mommy and daddy pay for them to get in and get a degree.  Give a large enough donation to a school and your kid will get a degree, the GPA will be a 2.0, but no one asks that.  

and they turn the blind eye, when the paper turned in, was clearly wrote by somebody else, or downloaded from the internet.

My only question, is how the heck do they pass the darn bar, or do they have to?