Keegan Akin 2019

ChuckS

28 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Tomas looked like he was slow motion rounding the bases. 

Amazed the ball right between Cronenworth’s legs wasn’t ruled an error.

He was solid despite the line, 16% swinging strikes, missed bats with all three pitches. All 5 outs were Ks or pop ups. Did fall behind frequently, missed a couple spots with the fastball, leading to some hard contact. 

9 hours ago, ScGO's said:

He should get his shot at the MLB level soon.  Its time to see if he can hang with the big boys.

I don’t know about that just yet. Sure he’s 24, but mostly any NCAA drafted player, not drafted in the first round, is going to be that age in AAA.

4.8 BB/9 is high. Like 2nd worst in the league for a SP. His 1.5 WHIP is high. What’s been saving his ERA is he’s keeping the ball in the park. Only 5 HR allowed. 

My biggest concerns are,

- He’s getting tuned up by LH hitters to a 5.85 ERA. Can’t find good splits right now. 

- His BB rate of 4.8BB per 9. 

- The homers will go up versus AAA/MLB and Harbor Park/OPACY. 

On 5/16/2019 at 5:06 PM, Luke-OH said:

You mean the trade that sent Schoop (.6 WAR since the trade and making 8.5M this year) for Villar (2.0 WAR since the trade and making 2.6M this year) + Ortiz and Carmona. 

He means, besides the facts it looks really bad. ;)

• Upvote 1

On 5/16/2019 at 5:06 PM, Luke-OH said:

You mean the trade that sent Schoop (.6 WAR since the trade and making 8.5M this year) for Villar (2.0 WAR since the trade and making 2.6M this year) + Ortiz and Carmona. 

54 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He means, besides the facts it looks really bad. ;)

The picture has changed a bit since Luke’s May 16  post that you quoted:

- Schoop has been worth 1.9 WAR since the trade, Villar 2.3 WAR.

- Ortiz is rocking a 6.38 ERA in Norfolk

- Carmona is not doing much in Aberdeen (.667 OPS and playing in less than half the games).     

It looks like we still got the better of this trade, but in terms of getting young players who can contribute in the long run, it’s not looking real good.   

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

- Carmona is not doing much in Aberdeen (.667 OPS and playing in less than half the games).     

It looks like we still got the better of this trade, but in terms of getting young players who can contribute in the long run, it’s not looking real good.   

I think the best value we may have gotten for Schoop will be what we get in return for Villar. Either way, Elias wasn't going to offer Schoop arbitration if he was still on the team so the alternative was losing Schoop this offseason for nothing.

Saying that, I agree that Ortiz has not looked like a contributor though i'd like to see him in a relief role and see how it looks before counting him out. Also, Carmona would be better off playing everyday in a place like Bluefield. I haven't heard a lot of great things about him, but he's still young and his still physically pretty weak overall. This is where not having that Appy league team hurts development. Just not enough PAs to go around.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I think the best value we may have gotten for Schoop will be what we get in return for Villar. Either way, Elias wasn't going to offer Schoop arbitration if he was still on the team so the alternative was losing Schoop this offseason for nothing.

Saying that, I agree that Ortiz has not looked like a contributor though i'd like to see him in a relief role and see how it looks before counting him out. Also, Carmona would be better off playing everyday in a place like Bluefield. I haven't heard a lot of great things about him, but he's still young and his still physically pretty weak overall. This is where not having that Appy league team hurts development. Just not enough PAs to go around.

I've seen a little bit of Carmona and he looks slick in the field. Some consistency issues as is common with young guys with a quick transfer and release. At the plate though, he doesn't look comfortable at all, doesn't have a plan, is defensive rather than attacking the ball. Which is a shame because there is some bat speed and twitch. 

15 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He was solid despite the line, 16% swinging strikes, missed bats with all three pitches. All 5 outs were Ks or pop ups. Did fall behind frequently, missed a couple spots with the fastball, leading to some hard contact. 

Wait... that wasn’t ruled an error?!?!? How?

19 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I watched some of his effort last night, a little in and out on that part, unfortunately. I agree with what you wrote here. Not sure if I am right on this, but it looked like his arm action on the breaking ball was telegraphed. A little stiff at the top and in the release. And it looked like a CB, but I thought he was mostly a slider guy? Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

I watched some of his effort last night, a little in and out on that part, unfortunately. I agree with what you wrote here. Not sure if I am right on this, but it looked like his arm action on the breaking ball was telegraphed. A little stiff at the top and in the release. And it looked like a CB, but I thought he was mostly a slider guy? Thoughts?

It's a slurve really by movement IMO, but he calls it a slider. The telegraphing part, I haven't noticed that, but I'll check it out. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Schoop was non tendered. So na.

• Upvote 1