Salvage a Split ??? (vs. RED SOX, 4/15)

OFFNY

Just now, SteveA said:

And the Orioles are in SECOND PLACE.

Percentage points ahead of the Yankees.   A game ahead of the Red Sox.   Two games off the second wild card.

And they didn't allow a HR for the first time all year, ending their record-tying streak at 16.

But wait, I thought they was tanking this season on purpose?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/13/2019 at 4:48 PM, OFFNY said:

o

ORIOLES WIN !!!

RED SOX LOSE !!!

ORIOLES WIN !!!

RED SOX LOSE !!!  

ORIOLES WIN !!!

RED SOX LOSE !!!

o

o

(2 DAYS LATER)

It happened again.

o

3 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Actually, what he did was help to avoid an inning-ending double play. In fact, the pitcher probably could have had one rather easily by ignoring Nunez and throwing the ball to the middle infielder. At the very least, Nunez created a distraction and caused the pitched to pay heed to him.o

So, you’re suggesting he tried get in a run down? First of all, any base coach would tell you you never get in a run down when you’re in scoring position 90 feet away. 

Secondly, the distraction was already there when the pitcher has to check the runner, thus buying a few valuable seconds for the hitter not to be doubled up.

Thirdly, the hitter was Martin who has above average speed and is likely not doubled up. 

I guarantee you Nunez will admit he didn’t do it on purpose.

4 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Actually, what he did was help to avoid an inning-ending double play. In fact, the pitcher probably could have had one rather easily by ignoring Nunez and throwing the ball to the middle infielder. At the very least, Nunez created a distraction and caused the pitched to pay heed to him.

o

22 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

So, you’re suggesting he tried get in a run down? First of all, any base coach would tell you you never get in a run down when you’re in scoring position 90 feet away. 

Secondly, the distraction was already there when the pitcher has to check the runner, thus buying a few valuable seconds for the hitter not to be doubled up.

Thirdly, the hitter was Martin who has above average speed and is likely not doubled up. 

I guarantee you Nunez will admit he didn’t do it on purpose.

o

I'm suggesting exactly what I said ........ on a ground ball right back to the pitcher in that situation (1st and 3rd with one out), the runner at 3rd needs to leave the base, as Nunez did. Ground balls right back to the pitcher are the easiest of double plays, so even a speedy runner is usually thrown out in that situation. If Nunez had stayed put, the pitcher would have fired to 2nd base and there is a very good chance that Smith (even with his speed, and even with a split-second hesitation by the pitcher) would have gotten doubled up.

o

Archived