When do you make a call on Mullins this season?

interloper

Rickard is the better center fielder. He covers much more ground, and makes fewer mistakes in the OF. Several times he has beat Mullins to fly balls  that were closer to Mullins in center than they were to Rickard in right. But Rickard also cant hit at this time. 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would give Mullins 1 more month... exactly. If there has been no improvement, then he needs to go down. Sorry. We all want him to succeed, but there is barely a pulse here. 

Mason Williams would be a definite upgrade at this point. 

I don't think we can bring up Santander because there is no backup CF. Rickard is currently the backup CF. 

I'm sure the the waiver wire is being watched closely. Our OF depth is borderline abysmal. I don't think Mullins would have made the team if we had anyone else who is half decent. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd give him another month or so.  At least until a glaringly obvious better choice is available.

Hopefully Hays isn't Mr. Glass and can stay healthy for a period of time to get some at bats in the minors and get called up.  

I initially had Memorial Day as the time to decide if Mullins stays with the team or goes back to Norfolk for more seasoning. 

I’m still sticking to that, but Mullins is making it hard. I thought the triples game was going to be a turning point, but that looks like a blip now. 

56 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Not sure why there's a rush to ride Mullins out of town when the prevailing calls around here seem to be to let young guys take their lumps and develop at the MLB level.

Well, that seems to contradict what Hyde  and Elias have said about their process, which is leading each player develop fully at a given level before bringing him up. If that is true, it means that as far as they’re concerned, Mullins is either the best guy available, or he is ready for the show. If no one down on the farm is considered an overall upgrade, we keep him, and if He is what he is, they’re waiting on making a decision. I am actually pretty curious as to Whether they are actively considering a change, but we won’t know until it happens

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well, that seems to contradict what Hyde  and Elias have said about their process, which is leading each player develop fully at a given level before bringing him up. If that is true, it means that as far as they’re concerned, Mullins is either the best guy available, or he is ready for the show. If no one down on the farm is considered an overall upgrade, we keep him, and if He is what he is, they’re waiting on making a decision. I am actually pretty curious as to Whether they are actively considering a change, but we won’t know until it happens

I think it means he is as developed as he is going to be and there's no reason for him to spend more time in the minors until someone pushes him out of the job he is holding temporarily. Ultimately, the decision will not be made on what Mullins does, but on what Hays, Diaz, Santander and McKenna do. They are the future. He is the placeholder.

2 hours ago, Mayor McCheese said:

IMO you make the call when his BA drops below Davis. I can't see management letting a guy play everyday hitting .100 or below after 30 games.  I would assume he would share time with Rickard more often.

If Davis is the litmus test, then yeah, Mullins is doing better. (who isn't?)

Since September 1 (min 20G)
Mullins 44G, 155 AB, .161/.251/.226/.477 1 HR, 9 RBI
Davis 29G, 98 AB, .112/.187/.173/.360 1 HR, 9 RBI

Mullins doesn't come close to these guys :
Mancini 45G, 176 AB, .284/.328/.528/.856 10 HR, 21 RBI
Nunez, 42G, 142 AB, .303/.338/.500/.838, 7 HR, 22 RBI
Villar, 45G, 177 AB,  .266/.333/.418/.751 7 HR, 20 RBI
Rickard 37G, 104 AB,  .231/.292/.356/.648 2 HR, 4 RBI

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Slash line after 18 games: .104/.214/.188/.402

Silver linings: 132 BABIP, 19% K rate is down from 2018's 19.4%. However, the walk rate is also down 8.9 to 6.9%.

How many games are you giving him before making some kind of change? It's still early and the sample is still small. I had hoped his 2 triple game might have got him on track, but he's looked overmatched again since. His outfield play seems fine enough, at least for this season's purpose. He's yet to steal a base, but that's because he's either not on base or he's on 3rd. 

For me, I'm in no real rush to replace him with, say, Rickard. Or Mason Williams, or whomever. You'd like to just ride him out until Hays is ready, but at a certain point you might be killing his confidence at the ML level if he keeps up this level of play. Even Richie Martin has a higher OPS right now.

Cal Ripken started his Major League career 12-for-99.

Nick Markakis was hitting .211 on Memorial Day of his rookie year.

Through his first 700 PAs Brooksie was OPSing .594.

I think I'd give Mullins a good long while before getting too worried.

1 hour ago, Natty said:

Rickard is the better center fielder. He covers much more ground, and makes fewer mistakes in the OF. Several times he has beat Mullins to fly balls  that were closer to Mullins in center than they were to Rickard in right. But Rickard also cant hit at this time. 

I’d give Mullins to end of July at least. This is not about wins it’s about the young guys a chance. Replacing Mullins with Joey would serve no purpose. If Mullins can be replaced buy another young guy then go ahead on. 

26 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I think it means he is as developed as he is going to be and there's no reason for him to spend more time in the minors until someone pushes him out of the job he is holding temporarily. Ultimately, the decision will not be made on what Mullins does, but on what Hays, Diaz, Santander and McKenna do. They are the future. He is the placeholder.

I agree. I think if they thought he had more development possibilities they’d have him down. And I think for now they are hoping he’ll have a transformation.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I agree. I think if they thought he had more development possibilities they’d have him down. And I think for now they are hoping he’ll have a transformation.

I don't think they care, as long as his defense is decent. Winning games doesn't matter this season. They are just waiting for the real deal to be ready. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Slash line after 18 games: .104/.214/.188/.402

Silver linings: 132 BABIP, 19% K rate is down from 2018's 19.4%. However, the walk rate is also down 8.9 to 6.9%.

How many games are you giving him before making some kind of change? It's still early and the sample is still small. I had hoped his 2 triple game might have got him on track, but he's looked overmatched again since. His outfield play seems fine enough, at least for this season's purpose. He's yet to steal a base, but that's because he's either not on base or he's on 3rd. 

For me, I'm in no real rush to replace him with, say, Rickard. Or Mason Williams, or whomever. You'd like to just ride him out until Hays is ready, but at a certain point you might be killing his confidence at the ML level if he keeps up this level of play. Even Richie Martin has a higher OPS right now.

September

53 minutes ago, Philip said:

I'm not sure how it contradicts anything, considering I'm talking about the sentiment around the OH (i.e. people demanding that Hays, Diaz, etc. be called up), not what Hyde or Elias has said.

And Mullins already did very well at AA and AAA, so this is the level he needs to conquer now.

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Cal Ripken started his Major League career 12-for-99.

Nick Markakis was hitting .211 on Memorial Day of his rookie year.

Through his first 700 PAs Brooksie was OPSing .594.

I think I'd give Mullins a good long while before getting too worried.

Why? The other folks you mentioned were actual prospects. 

Archived