When do you make a call on Mullins this season?

interloper

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You tend to get called up when you're ready.  Or at least when you're the best thing available.  You still have to adjust to high level pitching.

And a 24 year old who played 60 games at AAA should have a lot easier adjustment than an 18 year old who was playing in the Piedmont league. 

So much easier I don't think it'd be fair to compare them.

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

It should definitely be about Mullins development (like pretty much all of you said). If the coaches and analytics team have identified issues and he is about to implement corrections in the majors, then keep him on the team. He's not hurting anything. The Orioles are already winning too many games to "win" a high draft pick with Mullins. If he can't effectively work on the issue in Baltimore, then send him down. If they decide that he's unlikely to ever be a major leaguer player, then they can send him down whenever somebody better can be brought up. But replacing him with a AAAA player who might hit a little better just to improve the team a fraction shouldn't be a reason. 

Ok I did re read the rest of your post and I still think that Ced can go. Now. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

Ok I did re read the rest of your post and I still think that Ced can go. Now. 

You always provide such insightful explanations of your opinions. Oh wait...you never explain your opinions. I’m assuming you’ve decided he’s not a major leaguer? 

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

As others have pointed out, the issue is a lack of great options. Mullins at least is providing good defense in center field.

However, the best option could be Mason Williams if he can keep it going in AAA. He's slashing .391/.429/.565/.994 over his last seven games. He looks decent defensively and has 67th percentile speed so should be decent enough in CF.

Williams, 26, slashed .293/.331/.398/.729 in 132 PAs with Cincinnati last year but his 85.4 EV (ML avg is 87) and 7.3 launch angle suggests a below average bat overall. 

At the major league level, the the only real option is to move Rickard into center, but is Rickard really much of an upgrade offensively against right-handers? 

Since his two triples game, Mullins has slashed .042/.148/.042/.190 over eight games and 28 PAs. He's become an extreme pull hitter this year so sending him back with the focus of hitting to all fields again might be the best way to get him back on track.

This is terribly problematic. It's unsustainable for him to be an extreme pull hitter and have any semblance of MLB success. He should be demoted now to get his head back on straight. I would let him stay and try to sort things out until the ASB, but when a batter get pull-happy, his mechanics are all out of whack. And it probably means his head is out of whack too.

CM got used last night on back-to-back curves, striking out on a bouncer! He's pressing. He's stressed at his poor performance. Let him go down and try to get his head back together while focusing on hitting lefty solely. Switch-hitting successfully at the major-league is a rare accomplishment.

Archived