When do you make a call on Mullins this season?

interloper

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

In his first 18 games in the big leagues, Mullins slashed .317/.386/.556/.941 over 72 PAs.

Since then (September 1, 2018), Mullins has slashed .161/.251/.226/.477 in 177 PAs.

This is more than an 18 games slump at the beginning of the season. On top of it, his habit of pulling the ball has become an issue. 

Well said. Please Take Joey Rickard down too. He is not a MLB player.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm not saying Mullins is the caliber of those players.  But that kind of goes into my reasoning - he's not that good, so shouldn't we give him more rope, not less?  Because he's not as good, he's going to have some slumps and some adjustment periods.  He hit reasonably well in AAA and AA last year - I think you give him a good amount of time before sending him back to AAA and replace him with another decent-but-flawed prospect.

Sometimes it about getting him right. Sometimes players need more time to work on things and doing it in AAA can be helpful so the glare of batter .100 at the big level isn't hanging over him. 

Personally, I don't think it does a guy any good to keep getting run out there when they are being dominated. Regardless of what they say publicly, it grinds on a guy. Mullins has become an extreme pull hitter and that is something that is easier to work on in AAA than the majors. I'm not really sure why Mullins has changed, but he has and it's clearly not working. 

Also, this whole argument that Mullins has plenty of PAs in AAA is kind of absurd. He has 269 PAs at AAA., that's barely half a season.

I'd prefer to see him develop more in AAA and see if he can come back the guy we thought he could be at the major league level, a gap to gap guy, with speed and good defense.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sometimes it about getting him right. Sometimes players need more time to work on things and doing it in AAA can be helpful so the glare of batter .100 at the big level isn't hanging over him. 

Personally, I don't think it does a guy any good to keep getting run out there when they are being dominated. Regardless of what they say publicly, it grinds on a guy. Mullins has become an extreme pull hitter and that is something that is easier to work on in AAA than the majors. I'm not really sure why Mullins has changed, but he has and it's clearly not working. 

Also, this whole argument that Mullins has plenty of PAs in AAA is kind of absurd. He has 269 PAs at AAA., that's barely half a season.

I'd prefer to see him develop more in AAA and see if he can come back the guy we thought he could be at the major league level, a gap to gap guy, with speed and good defense.

If they send him down I hope they ask him to stop batting right-handed.  He has eight hits in 64 PAs right-handed.  It would simplify his life if he only had to get out of a slump from the side he can actually hit from.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If they send him down I hope they ask him to stop batting right-handed.  He has eight hits in 64 PAs right-handed.  It would simplify his life if he only had to get out of a slump from the side he can actually hit from.

Yeah. It's time. 

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Agreed. That would be part of it if you ask me. Have him go down and bat left-handed against both.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

June this year or next????? :) :) :)

This year, mostly because I think DJ Stewart is MLB ready and wasting his time in AAA. 

By that I mean he needs to show signs of improvement by June, better contact quality mostly, I'm ok if the overall line is poor but trending up. 

40 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't believe Cedric is a switch hitter. I believe his arm is not MLB quality for a slap hitter.  I believe the past administration wanted Cedric to be the one replace Adam . But he's not. 

Mullins kind of mystifies me.   He was good enough at Bowie and Norfolk where I’d expect him to be better than he was last September and now.   His K rate isn’t terrible, but as Tony pointed out, he just hasn’t been hitting the ball hard.   I don’t know if pitchers have figured out that he has certain spots where he’s unable to drive the ball, or whether he’s just not handling major league stuff, or whether he’s just in a funk.     I think he’ll get another month or so to figure it out.

His defense has been OK but nothing amazing.   

It should definitely be about Mullins development (like pretty much all of you said). If the coaches and analytics team have identified issues and he is about to implement corrections in the majors, then keep him on the team. He's not hurting anything. The Orioles are already winning too many games to "win" a high draft pick with Mullins. If he can't effectively work on the issue in Baltimore, then send him down. If they decide that he's unlikely to ever be a major leaguer player, then they can send him down whenever somebody better can be brought up. But replacing him with a AAAA player who might hit a little better just to improve the team a fraction shouldn't be a reason. 

55 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

But replacing him with a AAAA player who might hit a little better just to improve the team a fraction shouldn't be a reason. 

Why? And I think I can name four players that could replace his roster spot who could be better. 

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

This year, mostly because I think DJ Stewart is MLB ready and wasting his time in AAA. 

By that I mean he needs to show signs of improvement by June, better contact quality mostly, I'm ok if the overall line is poor but trending up. 

This, and only bat against RH in a platoon with Richard against LH. Plays to both their strengths. Bring DJ up.

9 minutes ago, weams said:

Why? And I think I can name four players that could replace his roster spot who could be better. 

Because a marginal upgrade in the present  with less upside potential is nearly worthless to the team at this point.  Mullins has struggled following the period immediately after his call up, but he still represents a relatively high variance player vs. guys we know to be AAAA types. It may not be a super high probability of success, but I’m much more interested in seeing if Mullins can figure things out that jettisoning him just to plug in a stop gap so I can avoid negative production. 

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

Because a marginal upgrade in the present  with less upside potential is nearly worthless to the team at this point.  Mullins has struggled following the period immediately after his call up, but he still represents a relatively high variance player vs. guys we know to be AAAA types. It may not be a super high probability of success, but I’m much more interested in seeing if Mullins can figure things out that jettisoning him just to plug in a stop gap so I can avoid negative production. 

They would be sending him down not releasing him.

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Cal Ripken started his Major League career 12-for-99.

Nick Markakis was hitting .211 on Memorial Day of his rookie year.

Through his first 700 PAs Brooksie was OPSing .594.

I think I'd give Mullins a good long while before getting too worried.

18-21

Archived