When do you make a call on Mullins this season?

interloper

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

CM got used tonight on back-to-back curves, striking out on a bouncer! He's pressing. He's stressed at his poor performance. Let him go down and try to get his head back together while focusing on hitting lefty solely. Switch-hitting successfully at the major-league is a rare accomplishment.

Yeah huge fan of his but shocked the leash has been this long. He needs to go to the minors ASAP.

You can sign anyone and put them in CF, just do it already. 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

It should definitely be about Mullins development (like pretty much all of you said). If the coaches and analytics team have identified issues and he is about to implement corrections in the majors, then keep him on the team. He's not hurting anything. The Orioles are already winning too many games to "win" a high draft pick with Mullins. If he can't effectively work on the issue in Baltimore, then send him down. If they decide that he's unlikely to ever be a major leaguer player, then they can send him down whenever somebody better can be brought up. But replacing him with a AAAA player who might hit a little better just to improve the team a fraction shouldn't be a reason. 

This is not going to be an issue by the end of the year.

Mullins has a track record of ABs in AA/AAA. If you’re sending him down it’s to work on a specific thing. If not, give the guy 500 PA. What’s it going to hurt anyway?  

Have you seen the pitching?  Mullins is like our 7th most important problem right now. 

Losing ain’t for the faint of heart. 

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This is not going to be an issue by the end of the year.

I expect the Orioles to lose a lot of games as the summer progresses, but I think there is going to be tough competition for the top picks. Multiple teams appear to be in tanking mode and several teams are dramatically underperforming. It will be a weird, but fascinating race to watch. If they miss out on a top pick, it will be a typical Orioles move: they waited too long to adopt a strategy that maximizes draft picks. 

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And a 24 year old who played 60 games at AAA should have a lot easier adjustment than an 18 year old who was playing in the Piedmont league. 

So much easier I don't think it'd be fair to compare them.

I'm just arguing for the sake of it now, but in career games 196-216 (the end of the '58 season) Brooks went 5-for-43 with no extra base hits to cap off a season with a .597 OPS.

12 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

You always provide such insightful explanations of your opinions. Oh wait...you never explain your opinions. I’m assuming you’ve decided he’s not a major leaguer? 

I decided that if he is, he is not an important component of the next Orioles Contending team. I;ve made my feelings known in multiple places that not only do I feel that Cedric is currently overmatched, that he is not one of the eight hundred significant major leaguers. And I did not necessarily wish to slight him further. I am no scout. Maybe he'll be a star. I do get that feeling.  I think the system has better options now and going forward. 

21 minutes ago, weams said:

I decided that if he is, he is not an important component of the next Orioles Contending team. I;ve made my feelings known in multiple places that not only do I feel that Cedric is currently overmatched, that he is not one of the eight hundred significant major leaguers. And I did not necessarily wish to slight him further. I am no scout. Maybe he'll be a star. I do get that feeling.  I think the system has better options now and going forward. 

I don’t think there are 800 “significant” major leaguers.    That’s more than 25 per team.    Depends how you want to define “significant” I guess.    For benchmarks, last year there were: 

- 211 players worth 2.0 fWAR or more.

- 384 players worth 1.0 fWAR or more.

- 844 players who had either 100 PA or 40 IP.

I guess if you go by that last criterion there were 800 significant players     For me, the bar would be higher.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm just arguing for the sake of it now, but in career games 196-216 (the end of the '58 season) Brooks went 5-for-43 with no extra base hits to cap off a season with a .597 OPS.

Brooks could flash the leather, however. I'm going mostly by the hearing test (Ernie Harwell telling me how great B was at third) and the reading test (John Steadman, B. Sun). Few games were on TV and a 13" b&w tv with rabbit ears antenna didn't allow too much of an eye test. lol

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mullins has a track record of ABs in AA/AAA. If you’re sending him down it’s to work on a specific thing. If not, give the guy 500 PA. What’s it going to hurt anyway?  

Have you seen the pitching?  Mullins is like our 7th most important problem right now. 

Losing ain’t for the faint of heart. 

Would you give a guy 500 PAs who was OPSing under .500 all year?

I get what you are saying in context, but again, he doesn't have a significant track record in AAA, and he needs to work on hitting to all fields and perhaps hitting left-handed against left-handers.

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Would you give a guy 500 PAs who was OPSing under .500 all year?

It’s amazing how low our standards have dropped.   No, that is nowhere near acceptable.    I’d give Mullins a few more weeks to right the ship, but he needs to be well above .600 OPS to warrant keeping a roster spot.    

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s amazing how low our standards have dropped.   No, that is nowhere near acceptable.    I’d give Mullins a few more weeks to right the ship, but he needs to be well above .600 OPS to warrant keeping a roster spot.    

I am starting to agree to this. A couple of weeks. No team should/does play a young guy struggling this bad on a near-nightly basis until June. That's far too long, IMO. He looks like a beaten man right now, just body language-wise. 

Archived