The Suck is in full swing now

bird watcher

Season ends today; we draft 3rd. Any advantage we gained from having unknown pitchers/hitters is gone. All our players have a book out now and their flaws are showing.

Not a big surprise here but any illusion of competitiveness is gone with the wind.  

Let the race to the bottom begin. When does the mlb app start showing wildcard standings?  It makes it easier to track the 1 draft pick race.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

4-13 in our last 17 games.    I can’t even believe how bad the pitching is on this team.   The cavalry isn’t coming, so the guys who are here had better pull themselves together.   

Their resumes aren't exactly awe inspiring. They are what they are. I expect things to get worse before they get better....if that's possible.

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

4-13 in our last 17 games.    I can’t even believe how bad the pitching is on this team.   The cavalry isn’t coming, so the guys who are here had better pull themselves together.   

Bundy is the only one that really gets me down. Maybe Cobb a little too, but Bundy was supposed to be an Orioles ace. He’d have at the very least been relegated to the bullpen on any other team.

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I’m now more “hopeful” that the Orioles are going to get a top draft pick. The losing crushes a little part of my soul each game, but I would like Orioles to get a great draft pick in 2020. 

This is where I’m at. I know we suck. I knew it coming in. This year is about imagining where we can go and cheap tickets. Let’s get those top picks, let’s expand into the international market, let’s see where we stand in 3 years. 

40 minutes ago, oriole said:

Bundy is the only one that really gets me down. Maybe Cobb a little too, but Bundy was supposed to be an Orioles ace. He’d have at the very least been relegated to the bullpen on any other team.

Cobb at least has an excuse.    

At the same time, I haven’t given up on Bundy.    I could see him pulling it together.   

I guess I had a different perspective entering this season.  I have been enjoying the effort and attitude of our guys.  The cheering on the dugout after the Davis hit - that was the entire roster showing respect for Davis - loved it.  Actually, one of my favorite Os moments ever.  The entire MLB team is pulling in the same direction as is the entire organization.  These guys are playing the right way and are only getting beaten on talent.  And we will see that talent gap close each year - including this one when Mountcastle and Hays and others get to Bmore.

There is a ways to go on the pitching side.  It should make folks realize the big deal it was for the prior management to find a Miguel Gonzalez and claim a league average starting pitcher for nothing out of nowhere.  Just as we picked up Guthrie and Rodrigo Lopez before that.  

Yes, a proper rebuild involves some suckitude, but let's enjoy the process and not miss how a good front office builds a competitive major league team with a quality minor league talent base from the ground up brick by brick.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Most of the pitchers get me down, mainly because a good deal of them are supposed to be established major league pitchers - i.e. they don't apply to the whole "bad because the team is rebuilding" thing. It's freakin' ridiculous just how freakin' terrible they've been.

24 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I guess I had a different perspective entering this season.  I have been enjoying the effort and attitude of our guys.  The cheering on the dugout after the Davis hit - that was the entire roster showing respect for Davis - loved it.  Actually, one of my favorite Os moments ever.  The entire MLB team is pulling in the same direction as is the entire organization.  These guys are playing the right way and are only getting beaten on talent.  And we will see that talent gap close each year - including this one when Mountcastle and Hays and others get to Bmore.

There is a ways to go on the pitching side.  It should make folks realize the big deal it was for the prior management to find a Miguel Gonzalez and claim a league average starting pitcher for nothing out of nowhere.  Just as we picked up Guthrie and Rodrigo Lopez before that.  

Yes, a proper rebuild involves some suckitude, but let's enjoy the process and not miss how a good front office builds a competitive major league team with a quality minor league talent base from the ground up brick by brick.

I am with you.  The 4-13 speaks for iiself but I can see this team getting better.   

Cobb can be the starter he was in the 2nd half last year.   Cashner is 3-0 with a 3.38 ERA in April.  I like what I have seen for Means.  That improved changeup could mean something.   Straily looks like he knows how to pitch.   He was 14-8 with a 3.76 in at hitter park in Cincy.

There are some good arms in the pen. Givens, Fry, Phillips,  Scott.   And come good potential middle to long men in Yac and Ramirez.  Bleier and Karns are on the mend. 

The defense is generally pretty good and the hitting has been surprising.  Maybe it is the ball.   I am looking forward to seeing Hays in the outfield.

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am with you.  The 4-13 speaks for iiself but I can see this team getting better.   

Cobb can be the starter he was in the 2nd half last year.   Cashner is 3-0 with a 3.38 ERA in April.  I like what I have seen for Means.  That improved changeup could mean something.   Straily looks like he knows how to pitch.   He was 14-8 with a 3.76 in at hitter park in Cincy.

There are some good arms in the pen. Givens, Fry, Phillips,  Scott.   And come good potential middle to long men in Yac and Ramirez.  Bleier and Karns are on the mend. 

The defense is generally pretty good and the hitting has been surprising.  Maybe it is the ball.   I am looking forward to seeing Hays in the outfield.

Agree.

This doesn't bother me any more than the Tides or Baysox or Keys losing. Those teams are about developing a few players (hopefully) into major leaguers and, at this point, the Orioles are too. So if they can come up with a few young players who can contribute in the future the season is a success regardless of the win/loss record. 

6 hours ago, bird watcher said:

Season ends today; we draft 3rd. Any advantage we gained from having unknown pitchers/hitters is gone. All our players have a book out now and their flaws are showing.

Not a big surprise here but any illusion of competitiveness is gone with the wind.  

Let the race to the bottom begin. When does the mlb app start showing wildcard standings?  It makes it easier to track the 1 draft pick race.

There never was any "illusion of competitiveness" for the 2019 Orioles. 

Archived