Dominican Summer League

Enjoy Terror

On 8/3/2019 at 8:36 PM, RZNJ said:

I look at every minor league boxscore virtually everyday.  It is more fun this year than ever before. My new guy to promote is the 17 yo SS Placencias.   A mid season addition and hitting about .350. Rolls the 1B from the Virgin Islands is built like Prince Fielder at 6 ft. 240.  He bats LH, already has 2 homers and is hitting over .300.  Josue Cruz is a big LH with 7 homers.  He's 18/19 but might still be someone to keep an eye on.  Two Cubans besides Yorkislandy Alvarez.  Kelvin Infante, a 19 CF, and Mantecon, a 17 yo catcher.  Just so many more potential prospects than ever before.  Of course, some of these guys were signed by Duquette so the real changing of the guard was the change instituted by the Angelo's brothers.  However, with due respect to Duquette who had one hand tied behind his back, I feel confident that the team of Elias and Kolby Perez are best equipped to execute the International plan.

Yeah, it's time to talk more about Piancencias.  Still just 67 plate appearances but a .522 OBP really is eye-catching (15 walks and 15 SO's).  No power to speak of - but at 6'1 170 maybe the best is yet to come?  Hey, when you're an O's fan these days, you take any bone thrown your way.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Yeah, it's time to talk more about Piancencias.  Still just 67 plate appearances but a .522 OBP really is eye-catching (15 walks and 15 SO's).  No power to speak of - but at 6'1 170 maybe the best is yet to come?  Hey, when you're an O's fan these days, you take any bone thrown your way.

Interesting.   His stat line caught my attention today, but I didn’t recognize him as one of our 17 year olds and assumed he was a guy who I hadn’t paid attention to because he was older.   I didn’t know he was a mid-season addition.    Did we just sign him, or did he just get assigned to the team late?

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting.   His stat line caught my attention today, but I didn’t recognize him as one of our 17 year olds and assumed he was a guy who I hadn’t paid attention to because he was older.   I didn’t know he was a mid-season addition.    Did we just sign him, or did he just get assigned to the team late?

He was one of the few 2019 J2 guys who signed a regular contact instead of a future contract for next year. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ruzious said:

.984 OPS with no HR. You don't see that every day. If we could just combine this kid's bat with Richie Martin's defense...

53 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

.984 OPS with no HR. You don't see that every day. If we could just combine this kid's bat with Richie Martin's defense...

Between Hall, Hernais, Henderson, Carmona, and Piancencias… we have power in numbers at the SS spot.  We just need 1 to "hit" big.  We should know in... 5 years or so.  :)

40 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Between Hall, Hernais, Henderson, Carmona, and Piancencias… we have power in numbers at the SS spot.  We just need 1 to "hit" big.  We should know in... 5 years or so.  :)

I’m really interested in seeing who the O’s take off the island next summer.

41 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

What does a .500 OBP in the DSL translate to in MLB? Is it too early to project?

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

What does a .500 OBP in the DSL translate to in MLB? Is it too early to project?

DSL numbers mean very little.

It’s hard to translate DSL numbers to domestic Rookie ball numbers, much less A ball, much less the high minors, much less MLB.

Kind of piggybacking off Frobby’s comment, the best indication without going and watching is who the Orioles bring to the instructs (if anyone) and bring to the GCL next summer.

8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

One thing to know about the DSL is it’s a walk-fest.   League average .254 BA but .360 OBP.    Lots of really wild pitchers and if you get a batter with a good eye he can really rack up the walks.   There are quite a few guys averaging nearly one walk per game.