Dominican Summer League

Enjoy Terror

3 minutes ago, catjuggler said:

stupid question....Is one of our DSL teams considered more advanced than the other? or are they the same level?

Same level. I'm not sure how they divide the talent between the teams, but there is some back and forth movement. 

14 hours ago, cboemmeljr said:

Current DSL Leaders:

BATTING

One Oriole hitter in top-10 in BA

PITCHING

Three Orioles pitchers in the top-10 in ERA

I know the stats don't tell the whole story, certainly at that level, but the O's are well represented on the pitching side.  In addition to their top 3 that you mentioned, they have another 5 or so guys in the top 50 of the league era-wise.

That hitting side is the complete opposite.  Sorted by OPS, besides De La Rosa, who is about 15th overall, the O's don't have another guy in the top 100 it looks to me.

While there may be some environmental factors involved, I think it is safe to say the pitching for the O's in the DSL is more promising.

• Upvote 2

I like following this Acevado kid.  He seems like the most high profile of our Intl signs.  I've seen a few lists of names to follow in this thread, but can Luke or someone else with some knowledge of our DSL guys put together a "Top 10 Prospects" list of guys to follow in this league?  This list should be based on potential and scouting reports and not stats.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I like following this Acevado kid.  He seems like the most high profile of our Intl signs.  I've seen a few lists of names to follow in this thread, but can Luke or someone else with some knowledge of our DSL guys put together a "Top 10 Prospects" list of guys to follow in this league?  This list should be based on potential and scouting reports and not stats.  

No, I just don't have enough info to do that. Wish I did, but I don't. 

Definitely agree that stats in the DSL don't mean much at all. I'd just suggest following the young players who bat in the top half of the lineups and play up the middle positions. Those are the most likely to be prospects. For pitchers, young players with some size who start games. A 17 year old pitcher might sit 95-98 and be a legit prospect but not be able to throw strikes yet or not have any offspeed pitch yet, but that player is definitely a better prospect than a mature bodied kid who throws 86-88 but has an average breaking ball and fringe changeup he can throw for strikes (that type of player would dominate the DSL). 

11 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

6'4" Center Fielder who's only 16. Yeah, I'll take that!

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure how interesting this is, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

If you go right now and look at the MiLB.com gameday for the DSL games and click through all the games, the Orioles two DSL teams will stand out. The reason is the Orioles DSL players have high quality photos of most of the teams' players and appear to be the only organization to do such.