Zach Jarrett to Bowie

Legend_Of_Joey

• 7 months later...

From a scout from another org:

“I like Zach Jarrett. I didn’t put a huge grade on him. There is a lot of effort in his game, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he made the majors. He may not be a super impact guy. I also saw him some in college. He just keeps on getting better. He’s a fringe-average runner. We saw him play center field in Frederick. He can really throw with at least an average arm. I liked him and his feel and approach for hitting. He was aggressive on pitches in the zone but also, at times, selective.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/12/a-scouts-take-on-some-orioles-prospects.html

Lol, I feel like that quote must be some sort of parody.

"I really like him but didn't give him a big grade."

"Fringe-average runner"

"Can really throw, his arm is at least average"

"Aggressive at the plate but also selective".

In line with this scouts insight I'm going to say that Zach Jarrett might make the major leagues, or he might not.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

"Fringe-average runner"

In line with this scouts insight I'm going to say that Zach Jarrett might make the major leagues, or he might not.

LOL.  Sounds like a politician.

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2019 at 12:43 PM, glenn__davis said:

"Fringe-average runner"

He's a stiff corner outfielder, not going to be average defensively, he's going to need to hit a ton and I don't like his chances of that. He's a strength-based power bat without the type of bat control to get to all the raw power in game. Maybe an up and down ceiling. 

On 12/16/2019 at 12:43 PM, glenn__davis said:

"Fringe-average runner"

Now I understand why Scouts get fired.

24 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

He's a stiff corner outfielder, not going to be average defensively, he's going to need to hit a ton and I don't like his chances of that. He's a strength-based power bat without the type of bat control to get to all the raw power in game. Maybe an up and down ceiling. 

No offense Luke, but if he has strength based raw power

why would he not be able to use it in a game? Bat control really doesn't matter in some situations.

11 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

No offense Luke, but if he has strength based raw power

why would he not be able to use it in a game? Bat control really doesn't matter in some situations.

None taken, because the swing is stiff and muscled and he doesn't find the barrel enough. He rolls over balls he should lift and also collapses and pops up balls he should drive. He has plus raw, but he hits 11 HRs in about 500 PAs as an old for the level guy (between A+/AA). 

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2019 at 12:17 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

With Yusniel Diaz out for a bit, Jarrett gets the bump. Not the best news for Cole Billingsley, who was sent to Fredeick a week and a half ago after struggling horribly (which is saying something, since 95% of Bowie is struggling).

Make another post. 

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It's how they hedge their bets so they don't look awful if the player turns out to be something they didn't report. 

The real question in my mind is, out of all the players Melewski could have asked this scout about, why did he pick Zach Jarrett?    This is going to be a two-part blog post and in part 1 the scout commented on Kremer, Baumann, McCoy, Naughton, Jarrett and Ripken.     Part two will cover Grayson Rodriguez, DL Hall and others.     Melewski said the interview covered various prospects, “some highly ranked and others not ranked.”    Seems like an odd mix, though.