O's claim Shawn Armstrong off waivers from Seattle

Tony-OH

On 4/28/2019 at 2:46 PM, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles have claimed 28-year old right-handed reliever Shawn Armstrong off waivers from Seattle.

Armstrong has been hammered this year in Seattle, as his velocity has dropped on his fastball (92.4 vs. 93.7) and Slider (81.9 vs. 85.2.

The Orioles will see if they can fix what was wrong.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/armstsh01.shtml

o

(2 DAYS LATER)

The Orioles have added Shawn Armstrong to the roster.

Orioles' Shawn Armstrong: Added to Active Roster

(RotoWire Staff)

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/orioles-shawn-armstrong-added-to-active-roster/

o

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

You know, with the exception of one disastrous appearance in Colorado where he had absolutely nothing, Armstrong has looked pretty damned good every time I’ve seen him.    He’s allowed runs in only 3 of 15 appearances, and hits in only 5 of them.   1.69 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 10.1 K/9 since joining the O’s.    Imagine how we’d feel if Mike Wright was doing that with Seattle.   That’s how Seattle fans are probably feeling now about Armstrong.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You know, with the exception of one disastrous appearance in Colorado where he had absolutely nothing, Armstrong has looked pretty damned good every time I’ve seen him.    He’s allowed runs in only 3 of 15 appearances, and hits in only 5 of them.   1.69 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 10.1 K/9 since joining the O’s.    Imagine how we’d feel if Mike Wright was doing that with Seattle.   That’s how Seattle fans are probably feeling now about Armstrong.  

Does this mean we get to start a "Shawn Armstrong Trade Ideas" thread?

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The waiver claim track record from Elias is looking pretty damn good. Severino, Armstrong, Ruiz. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WalkWithElias said:

Does this mean we get to start a "Shawn Armstrong Trade Ideas" thread?

Actually, I think he is the type of player a lot of teams look for around the trade deadline.  I think he's for real;  He gives a different look coming out of the pen and was hitting 94 MPH.  And he's got that mound presence that top relievers have.  Lifetime WHIP under 1.2 and gets SO's.  But might as well keep him - it's nice to have a reliable 7th inning guy regardless of what your record is.  

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

When an acquisition does as well as this one has, it’s worthwhile wondering why the other team gave up on him? Seattle has smart people,

40578b_02bedard.jpg?w=535

(probably a different regime, I can't resist though)

In regards to Armstrong, I am waiting to see more.  I want to see how he does the 2nd time through the league.  Perhaps this is an extreme case of Sig's analytics, that they saw something that could be a quick fix.  Who knows.

I'm just conditioned to think that if we pick up another teams scraps it's not going to work out well for us.  

(Continuing) and one wonders why they gave up. Is this a dead cat bounce? He’s always had a good K rats but this year his K rate decreased, his BB rate increased, and his HR rate went up, but that’s all in only 19 innings. With Cleveland he was pretty bad, but with us he’s already worth .1 WAR. 

So which is the real Armstrong?

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

40578b_02bedard.jpg?w=535

(probably a different regime, I can't resist though)

In regards to Armstrong, I am waiting to see more.  I want to see how he does the 2nd time through the league.  Perhaps this is an extreme case of Sig's analytics, that they saw something that could be a quick fix.  Who knows.

I'm just conditioned to think that if we pick up another teams scraps it's not going to work out well for us.  

Yeah. I am always aware that other teams have smart guys too, and they don’t give up on a guy without good reason. That said, the Astros released JD Martinez and the Tigers grabbed him and never looked back. So maybe Armstrong is a winning ticket? Not for the jackpot, but one of those $50 winners that keeps you playing. And $50 is a tank of gas and a large coffee. Not nothing...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Yeah. I am always aware that other teams have smart guys too, and they don’t give up on a guy without good reason. That said, the Astros released JD Martinez and the Tigers grabbed him and never looked back. So maybe Armstrong is a winning ticket? Not for the jackpot, but one of those $50 winners that keeps you playing. And $50 is a tank of gas and a large coffee. Not nothing...

Yep, here's hoping.  Don't get me wrong, I see a lot of good qualities in him.  Just need to see more of him.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Really insightful piece here about some adjustments Armstrong made to his delivery recently and the impact it had on his stuff, and a good look at how players work with teammates and coaches to look for ways to improve.   https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/07/armstrong-adjustment-adds-to-ability-to-attack-hitters.html

This is a great read.  Brings some insight as to what the coaching staff is doing with pitchers and how improvements can be made.

Here's hoping we got a gem in Armstrong.  

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Really insightful piece here about some adjustments Armstrong made to his delivery recently and the impact it had on his stuff, and a good look at how players work with teammates and coaches to look for ways to improve.   https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/07/armstrong-adjustment-adds-to-ability-to-attack-hitters.html

Yeah this is huge. That's a significant uptick in both velocity and actual results from a mechanics change.