Exclusive Orioles Hangout Interview: One on One with Mike Elias

Tony-OH

Great interview, Tony!!  I was yelling out Steve Chilcott as the trivia answer of the Mets 1-1 catcher pick!  I had just had that come up a week ago in a conversation with a friend about picking Adley number 1 and had looked it up then.  

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Great interview, Tony!!  I was yelling out Steve Chilcott as the trivia answer of the Mets 1-1 catcher pick!  I had just had that come up a week ago in a conversation with a friend about picking Adley number 1 and had looked it up then.  

The sad thing is I knew that but just blanked. HAHA

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

This is also such a dramatic and welcome departure in terms of public relations and fanbase communication compared to the  Duquette and Macphail regimes

Just a little bit. Duquette never returned an e-mail, Facebook, or text in his entire time in office (as fair as I was to Duquette. The only time I talked with MacPhail, the PR director stood with her arms crossed in the same room, and made sure I did not go off my initial questions. 

On 5/8/2019 at 11:08 AM, Tony-OH said:

Instead of relying on the scouting eye to tell you that the guy is struggles hit breaking pitches or balls inside, you now have the cold hard data. 

The other thing about this is that the sample size that is used is so much larger.  "scouting eye" may be based on a handful of at bats or even dozens of at bats.  But the analytics can be based on literally every single at bat the player takes.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Finally got to listen to this last night, well done, @Tony-OH!  

Where does this rank as far as thrills go since you've been running OH?

Thrills? It was nice meeting him, but I guess I'm not a guy who gets "thrills" by interviewing or meeting people.

He's an impressive guy, no doubt, but if I'm "thrilled" I'm "thrilled" that the Orioles organization finally has a young, intelligent, new age GM who has been given total authority to rebuild the organization as he sees fit. 

I'm very interested in watching how this all plays out. He's the first guy that has been in this position that gives me genuine hope for a sustainable solution for the Orioles to become a consistent winning organization that competes year in and year out.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:08 PM, Tony-OH said:

Just a little bit. Duquette never returned an e-mail, Facebook, or text in his entire time in office (as fair as I was to Duquette. The only time I talked with MacPhail, the PR director stood with her arms crossed in the same room, and made sure I did not go off my initial questions. 

Duquette took it to another level by not returning calls from agents of players on the team.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Duquette took it to another level by not returning calls from agents of players on the team.  

And I am sure his personality was a big reason he was out of baseball for 10 years.  And I suspect he won’t get another GM job.  

4 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Thought I’d put this here since this is where I learned about Trackman data in the minors, and how Statcast also uses it in the majors.

The minor league fielding data revolution is about to begin. 

Archived