Dean Kremer 2019

Frobby

22 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Kremer knocked around again last night 8/27.

5 IP, 9 H, 2BB, 7R, 5K.

Norfolk ERA of 10.05 in 3 appearances.  He and Zimmermann's initial struggles in AAA throw some cold water on what some of our pitchers did in Bowie this year.

Zimmerman has a 1.10 WHIP, 1.42 ERA, 10K over his last 12.2 innings (2 Starts)

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

5 IP, 9 H, 2BB, 7R, 5K.

Norfolk ERA of 10.05 in 3 appearances.  He and Zimmermann's initial struggles in AAA throw some cold water on what some of our pitchers did in Bowie this year.

I don’t think so. They had good seasons at the level they were at, it’s reasonable to take some time to adjust.

A great reason for end of season promotions is to give the guys a taste so they know what needs work in the offseason.

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

5 IP, 9 H, 2BB, 7R, 5K.

FIP is better than in AA for Kremer, maybe some BABIP bad luck happening.

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think adjusting to the MLB ball also may have something to do with it.  

I think this has everything to do with it. It's not just that the ball flies farther, it's that the ball apparently has less grip. Pitching is about feel in many ways. If you aren't accustomed to the feel of a baseball, you won't execute as well. 

• 2 months later...

Evaluation by Adam McInturff of 2080 Baseball following an AFL outing:

“5 SP upside on the strength of pitching IQ and ability to land deep arsenal for strikes; polished, high-floor prospect that's close to big league ready; able to fill swingman or middle innings role if he falls short of ceiling.”

Details here: https://2080baseball.com/reports/dean-kremer/

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Melewski interviewed another team’s scout and got this report on Kramer: 

“I thought he has a chance to have a plus curveball and plus command. I liked his slider. I gave him average pitches across the board with a plus curve. We had several guys that liked him, and one graded him as a solid, mid-of-the-rotation starter.

“He was 89 to 93 (mph) with good carry at the top of the zone and a lot of armside (action). He really pitches inside with his fastball and makes hitters uncomfortable. Can really establish the inside and then work away with the slider and curve. He can work north-south and he can work east-west. He has more than one way to get people out. I was impressed with him. If he had pure size or (more) arm strength he’d really be something interesting.

“He knows how to pitch with four pitches and he has a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C to get guys out. I really liked him and he was real good in the fall league. He was one of the more competitive guys out there. One of the more pleasant surprises of the fall league for me.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/12/a-scouts-take-on-some-orioles-prospects.html

• Upvote 1