Chris Davis since he broke his 0-fer streak

Tony-OH

43 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

A contender like the Tampa Bay Rays could use a slugger at 1B.  What if you could trade Mancini to Tampa for two top prospects and three good ones?   A team like Tampa especially would highly value Mancini because he's cheap.  Depends who the guys are, but that's how the O's get better faster.  

Is a guy with one HR in the last 28 games a "slugger"?

58 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

His bat looked quick when he pulled a 92mph fastball for a HR yesterday. Not something I expected to see coming into this year. Its possible alot of his problems were mental. 

I don’t know if the mental stuff is fixed. He still inscrutably looks at lots of fat pitches in counts that suggest he should jump on fat pitches. I do think he has broken through the wall of intense internal and external pressure he must have been under. He does seem loose and free in that regard. I am not convinced he has recovered the mental quirks that make a MLB hitter over a year.

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

If the only thing keeping us from contending in 3-4 years is a one-dimensional right-handed hitter, I'm pretty sure Elias will be able to find one somewhere. Trade Trey for what you can get.

I didn't say he was the only thing keeping us from contending.  I'm saying he's one less piece you have to find.  Even if it's the easiest piece to find, it's one less.

I've always been fascinated by the perception of draft status/prospect status on this board.  Here we are arguing the merits of a one dimensional right handed hitter vs. the merits of another one dimensional right handed hitter who's in the minors.  Sure there's an age difference but it's not like Mancini is an ancient mariner by any stretch.  Yet one was drafted in the 8th round, one was drafted in the 1st.  

I get the feeling that people would be treating Mancini much differently if he was drafted in the 1st round and carried a sexy Baseball Prospectus ranking at some point.  But he never did...therefore, expendable.

6 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

The Rays had CJ  Cron at 1B last season. He hit 30 HR, OPS'd .816 and earned 2.0 rWAR. The Rays DFA'd Cron and the Twins claimed him off of waivers. They aren't giving up any prospects for Mancini. 

Perhaps not the smartest move by the Rays.  But Mancini is a better player and more importantly this is a much different season for the Rays.  How many chances do they get to win the division?  But even if not the Rays, somebody should give up some decent players for a guy that has been one of the top hitters in the AL this season.

Just now, CheeryO said:

Perhaps not the smartest move by the Rays.  But Mancini is a better player and more importantly this is a much different season for the Rays.  How many chances do they get to win the division?  But even if not the Rays, somebody should give up some decent players for a guy that has been one of the top hitters in the AL this season.

They did win 90 last year.  I don't think they are surprised by their success.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I didn't say he was the only thing keeping us from contending.  I'm saying he's one less piece you have to find.  Even if it's the easiest piece to find, it's one less.

I've always been fascinated by the perception of draft status/prospect status on this board.  Here we are arguing the merits of a one dimensional right handed hitter vs. the merits of another one dimensional right handed hitter who's in the minors.  Sure there's an age difference but it's not like Mancini is an ancient mariner by any stretch.  Yet one was drafted in the 8th round, one was drafted in the 1st.  

I get the feeling that people would be treating Mancini much differently if he was drafted in the 1st round and carried a sexy Baseball Prospectus ranking at some point.  But he never did...therefore, expendable.

One has at least three more years of team control.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Couldn't care less about draft pedigree. I'll be all for trading Mountcastle, too, should he be less than an elite hitter, be blocking a younger player and have interest from other teams.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

One has at least three more years of team control.

One is also proven in the majors.

Couldn't care less about draft pedigree. I'll be all for trading Mountcastle, too, should he be less than an elite hitter, be blocking a younger player and have interest from other teams.

Well let's just trade everyone.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Is a guy with one HR in the last 28 games a "slugger"?

Great point but perhaps all the more reason to trade him if what he really is is a gap hitting 1B/DH/OF.  Then again he did have how many home rums in the first few weeks of the season?  He's just slumping now most likely.  If the O's can sell him as a decent OF with home and gap power then he'll have more value.  

I'd move anyone over 25 (or so) if there was some decent value being offered.  Mancini, Givens, Smith, whomever looks like good and draws interest can go.  I'm enjoying them this season a lot but they will all be over 30 by the time we're good again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

One is also proven in the majors.

Well let's just trade everyone.

I'm afraid Givens is the only one who will bring back anything worth trading for. But if they can get anything for Trey, they should do it, by all means.

• Like 1

I'm afraid Givens is the only one who will bring back anything worth trading for. But if they can get anything for Trey, they should do it, by all means.

Trey probably won't bring back a top 50 prospect, but there's point in acting like the O's should trade him for just anyone they can get for him.