Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

On 8/27/2018 at 12:18 PM, Going Underground said:

I said before a two year younger version of CJ Cron.We shall see if he has a better year next year but trending that way.Teams are busting him in so he cant extend his arms.Yesterday,came up twice with man on third and less then two outs and did not get the runner in.Then hits a solo homer. His average with runners in scoring position is terrible. 

This is an interesting scouting report and shows how things ebb and flow with making adjustments.  When Mancini first came up, the thing that impressed me was how fast his hands were and his ability to turn on that inside fastball.  Funny how that is now the book to get him out.

37 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

Mancini reminds me of David Segui. Neither guy could play defense which negates their value at bat. Trey has stayed healthier, but will not hit as well as a prime Segui. I hope Trey has better defense if he plays first, because he is a butcher in the outfield.

Delmon Young was a butcher,  Mark Trumbo is a butcher...Trey is a guy who plays a less than adequate left field and who is a much better first baseman than left fielder.   But then so was Boog Powell.  

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Delmon Young was a butcher,  Mark Trumbo is a butcher...Trey is a guy who plays a less than adequate left field and who is a much better first baseman than left fielder.   But then so was Boog Powell.  

He looks to be below average at first.

If he is "much better" there than how is he not a butcher in left?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He looks to be below average at first.

If he is "much better" there than how is he not a butcher in left?

I knew I should have just kept the thought to  myself.   Have at it....label him butcher all one wishes.    He has made plays that I would be happy to get the videos and put here that "butchers" do  not make, imho.    Is he challenged in range in left, yes, is his lack of speed a liability, yes, had I hoped he would have made more progress, yes, but I still do not see him as a "butcher."  .  He generally catches what he gets to and he makes plays at times that are very impactful to individual games.  

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I knew I should have just kept the thought to  myself.   Have at it....label him butcher all one wishes.    He has made plays that I would be happy to get the videos and put here that "butchers" do  not make, imho.    Is he challenged in range in left, yes, is his lack of speed a liability, yes, had I hoped he would have made more progress, yes, but I still do not see him as a "butcher."  .  He generally catches what he gets to and he makes plays at times that are very impactful to individual games.  

You could have just said, oops I meant better not much better.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You could have just said, oops I meant better not much better.

Oops, I meant better, not much better.    I just reserve the word butcher for the Curt Blefarys, Dave Kingmans, Frank Howards,  Pete Incaviglias, Adam Dunns, Mark Trumbos  of the baseball world.   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think he will be a good player in the years ahead. He won't be the franchise player, or someone with a national name, but he can be a Tim Salmon type player...and someone to build on. Especially if he can play 1b.

What in the world are you talking about?   Tim Salmon was a 40 WAR player. Much better than, say, Adam Jones.    I’ll be delighted if Mancini has a 10-15 WAR career.   

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What in the world are you talking about?   Tim Salmon was a 40 WAR player. Much better than, say, Adam Jones.    I’ll be delighted if Mancini has a 10-15 WAR career.   

Maybe he confused Salmon and Haddock. George Haddock was a 10.5 WAR player from 1888 to 1894. He and Roy used to hang out.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mancini has had a heck of a turnaround the 2nd half.  His BABIP is down like 80 points from last year. Also he’s only at a .629 OPS vs LHP this year. Probably because we face dominate LHP in the division a lot. 

Its going to be hard to judge Mancini based solely on WAR because we all know he shouldn’t be in LF. He’s going to be -1.0-.2.5 dWAR in the hole every year. BBref lists Marty Cordova has a similar player comp for him. I’d take that. 

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yep, much more likely he ends up a Tyler Colvin or Ryan Garko. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Mancini has had a heck of a turnaround the 2nd half.  His BABIP is down like 80 points from last year. Also he’s only at a .629 OPS vs LHP this year. Probably because we face dominate LHP in the division a lot. 

Its going to be hard to judge Mancini based solely on WAR because we all know he shouldn’t be in LF. He’s going to be -1.0-.2.5 dWAR in the hole every year. BBref lists Marty Cordova has a similar player comp for him. I’d take that. 

The BABIP is down big time, but let's remember last year's BABIP wasn't sustainable, his xBABIP last year was .329 and his batted ball quality has dropped slightly along with a drop in speed. 

You are absolutely right about LF killing value, but even with the 2nd half resurgence, he hasn't gotten back to a league average hitter yet. That won't play at 1B or DH, he doesn't need to be a 117 wRC+ like last year, but he needs to be close to 110 to be an everyday caliber player there. 

• Upvote 2