Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think draft status matters much to fans.    The pundits seem to be the ones who have trouble getting past it.    

Mancini’s a solid hitter, without question.    The main issue is whether he can take it to a level beyond last year.     I agree he’s looked good so far this year and that his stats don’t reflect how hard he’s hit the ball.

Eh, I think it matters.  Hype matters to fans, which comes from the pundits.  I mean, fans are excited about Acuna and that comes from reading the hype train.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Eh, I think it matters.  Hype matters to fans, which comes from the pundits.  I mean, fans are excited about Acuna and that comes from reading the hype train.

I think it matters up to them being say a year in the league.  No one cares that Joey Votto was a second round pick or that Max Scherzer was chosen in the 11th round.

Once you establish that you can or can't play draft status is done.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it matters up to them being say a year in the league.  No one cares that Joey Votto was a second round pick or that Max Scherzer was chosen in the 11th round.

Not really, Mancini's first full year was last year.  There was a decent amount of speculation heading into this year if he was a mirage or if he could maintain or maybe even better.  That is due to the lack of draft status and hype.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not really, Mancini's first full year was last year.  There was a decent amount of speculation heading into this year if he was a mirage or if he could maintain or maybe even better.  That is due to the lack of draft status and hype.  

I certainly don’t think he’s a mirage, as in a flash in the pan who will be out of the majors in a couple years.  But I could see him being either an .850 OPS guy or a .775 guy going forward.    And it certainly matters which he is.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think it has much to do with draft status and hype.  He switched positions at the ML level and the views on his performance are mixed.  I think any new player who puts up a 1-2.5 win year in his rookie campaign is still going to be questioned going forward.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it has much to do with draft status and hype.  He switched positions at the ML level and the views on his performance are mixed.  I think any new player who puts up a 1-2.5 win year in his rookie campaign is still going to be questioned going forward.

I think that was mainly his defense that brought him down overall. He had almost 3 bWAR if you take out his defense last year

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2018 at 5:49 PM, MDtransplant757 said:

I think that was mainly his defense that brought him down overall. He had almost 3 bWAR if you take out his defense last year

You think the defensive metrics were not accurate on him?

On 4/11/2018 at 12:05 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Dan cares. The latest in his stable of obscure former #1 picks: Jace Peterson.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I think they were a tad bit negative, as we’ve seen with Jones and a few other players across MLB. His defense is average at best 

Mancini is horrible out there.  Trumbo is bad as well.  Hopefully next year neither is playing outfield for us.

On 4/11/2018 at 3:05 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I thought Scherzer was the eleventh pick in the first round? Billy Rowell ,Orioles drafted ninth .in 2006.

• Upvote 1