Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

6 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I think they were a tad bit negative, as we’ve seen with Jones and a few other players across MLB. His defense is average at best 

I think that defensive metrics tell us very little. But I think Trey was not a good outfielder. But he's going to the right better this season. so maybe there is progress.

Just now, Bucked said:

Mancini isnt a bad player but he has almost no value in todays game. He clearly isn't an outfielder and doesnt have enough power for 1B or DH. Im not buying into the BB rate for 2018 and the power numbers have gone in the wrong direction.

He's useful enough while he isn't making a lot of money.

I'm not the most knowledgeable baseball fan (hence my confusion I suppose)...but why do some of you think he doesn't add value to this team/want him gone at some point?

I know he's a below-average left fielder (blocked at first by Davis, which is his natural position), and I know that he doesn't have great power...but Mancini has shown to be a hitter. The guy makes good contact and gets on base. Is it really a huge deal that he doesn't crush home runs regularly? If a guy hits, teams find a way to get him in the lineup. Especially considering that we have too many guys who swing for the fences and strike out a ton.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

o

(May 17th)

Gary Thorne said that Trey Mancini is tied with J.D. Martinez for 2nd place in the American League with 18 opposite-field hits.

That sounds like a pretty good sign for a guy that has been in the lead-off position for most of the season so far.

o

On 5/14/2018 at 12:34 PM, TheDeau52 said:

I'm not the most knowledgeable baseball fan (hence my confusion I suppose)...but why do some of you think he doesn't add value to this team/want him gone at some point?

I know he's a below-average left fielder (blocked at first by Davis, which is his natural position), and I know that he doesn't have great power...but Mancini has shown to be a hitter. The guy makes good contact and gets on base. Is it really a huge deal that he doesn't crush home runs regularly? If a guy hits, teams find a way to get him in the lineup. Especially considering that we have too many guys who swing for the fences and strike out a ton.

Mancini’s OK, he’s just not as good as some here seem to think he is.  Right now he has a .754 OPS and has been worth -0.4 rWAR this year.   That isn’t good.    I think he’ll hit better than that, but probably sub-.800 OPS, and I think at this point he is what he is as a LF.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Mancini’s OK, he’s just not as good as some here seem to think he is.  Right now he has a .754 OPS and has been worth -0.4 rWAR this year.   That isn’t good.    I think he’ll hit better than that, but probably sub-.800 OPS, and I think at this point he is what he is as a LF.

I don't think he should be blocking actual outfielders if they are ready.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I hope what he is as a LF is a future first baseman. I also hope to have by the end of the season a clearer impression of how he'd do there.