Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

15 hours ago, Sydnor said:

I would be shocked if Mancini could net one of Valera, Oviedo, and Hankins, much less all 3. Oviedo is a fringe Top 100 guy for some evaluators, Valera was their big international signing two years ago, and Hankins slid in the draft last year due to medical concerns. As I understand it, they consider those players to be a big part of their future. I also think there’s a decent chance the Indians try to retool on the fly and sell Brad Hand, Bauer, and maybe a couple other pieces.

None of these I mentiioned are on any Top 100 lists that I can find and I would see them as second tier, developmental and thus higher risk prospects by any objective assessment.  I would not be surprised at all if this happened...IF Trey doesn’t slump between now and then and IF the Indians are  close to the Twins and become buyers.  In fact, it may be a higher return, imho. 

18 hours ago, Kaven5 said:

I love where the guy 's head is. Focused, positive and solid. That being said , I would trade him tonight if I thought it would help the team long term.

Exactly how I feel about him. Good guy in the clubhouse and good approach at the plate. Not his fault the Orioles play him out of position. 

6 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

I would trade him for the Sally League pitcher of the week for the 2 week of June - if that prospect is one of our own, the deal is still on.

Thanks for this valuable contribution. No way that the Orioles would just give him away. The Orioles will need a key injury to. A contender to really cash in but that seems to happen frequently.

15 minutes ago, nate22 said:

Tyler White. Sorry. Lol. That's who I meant. Travis Shaw is on my fantasy baseball team.

Ha, I figured, Mancini is a better hitter than the guys they DH, but he’s not enough of an upgrade to warrant a trade I wouldn’t think - particularly not when they have a DH raking in AAA & another elite bat waiting in Kyle Tucker. Yordan Alvarez is a moose.

On 5/25/2019 at 12:40 AM, Philip said:

Sure, a lot of teams would rather have smoak Because he offers good defense, good offense, he’s in the last year of his deal and would be very very cheap. Mancini is limited, but he has four more years of control and will probably be cheap for most of them, So a lot of teams would rather have Smoak. Neither player would bring back much, but Smoak would cost less.

Maybe teams would prefer to pay a lower price for Smoak, but I doubt there are any teams that would "rather have Smoak." If price tag wasn't a concern all 29 other teams would prefer Mancini IMO largely due to the option value associated with 3.5 eyars of control.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:33 PM, tntoriole said:

If Cleveland wants to get a bat and decides to buy if they stay in touch with the Twins over the next month and Trey heats up again, Mancini could play 1b or Dh back and forth with Santana or replace Luplow in right.

He could easily return 3 prospects, like George Valera , Luis Oveido, Ethan Hankins  18yrs, 20 yrs, 19 years... imho. 

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=cle

This is a complete message board trade proposal, but I would love it.  Send the Indians Mancini and Smith Jr. in exchange for Jake Bauers, one or two of their back-end top-10 prospect arms (Oviedo, Hankins, Hentges, Torres) and one or two lottery ticket type guys in A ball.

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2019 at 2:34 PM, tntoriole said:

None of these I mentiioned are on any Top 100 lists that I can find and I would see them as second tier, developmental and thus higher risk prospects by any objective assessment.  I would not be surprised at all if this happened...IF Trey doesn’t slump between now and then and IF the Indians are  close to the Twins and become buyers.  In fact, it may be a higher return, imho. 

Fangraphs has articles about prospect valuation, and how it plays into trades:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-update-to-prospect-valuation/

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/putting-a-dollar-value-on-prospects-outside-the-top-100/

Using MLB Pipeline’s rankings Valera is a 50, Oviedo is a 50, and Hankins is a 50. That’s probably too high. Fangraphs has Valera as a 50, Oviedo as a 45, and Hankins as a 40+. While I don’t think this is necessarily the gospel, Fangraphs says that a 50 position player is worth $28 million, a 45 pitcher is worth $4 million, and a 40+ pitcher is worth $3 million. Thus, Cleveland would probably want at least $35 million in surplus value for that package. Mancini was worth 1.7 fWAR in 2017 and -.2 fWAR in 2018. This year he has been worth 1.3 fWAR so far. If Mancini settles in at 2 wins per year, and he’s paid about $20 million over the next 3 years, he will have surplus value of only $15 million. That’s one reason why I think a trade like this is unlikely.

That being said I enjoy watching Trey play. I also hope he can bring a package like this to the team and think that despite his limitations he does have some value.