Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

38 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

All I'm saying is that Trey will be a solid player...the Salmon comp wasn't supposed to be a statistical one...i was using the analogy to say Mancini might be a Salmon type player...beloved by his home fans and not really well known around the league. And by the way, even if I over stated Mancini in his comparison to Tim, who's to say I'm absolutely wrong...we don't know what the future will bring. Its still only his second full season, and Trey could get stronger, smarter as a hitter and become a 30 HR a year guy. If Im wrong....who cares? SUE ME.

I actually think we see more than one 30 HR seasons from Mancini. His 162-game pace in his career is 27 so it's not unrealistic to think he goes to 31 or 32 a couple times. That said, 30 HRs today is more like 20 HRs of yesteryear. The pop with a career .323 OBP still leaves him as a solid-to-good hitter at a position where you really need to be well above average with the bat to offer real value.

I think, ultimately, with Mancini we have a solid 6-hole hitter on a good team. That's not great, but certainly has value.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I actually think we see more than one 30 HR seasons from Mancini. His 162-game pace in his career is 27 so it's not unrealistic to think he goes to 31 or 32 a couple times. That said, 30 HRs today is more like 20 HRs of yesteryear. The pop with a career .323 OBP still leaves him as a solid-to-good hitter at a position where you really need to be well above average with the bat to offer real value.

I think, ultimately, with Mancini we have a solid 6-hole hitter on a good team. That's not great, but certainly has value.

Certainly has value. As a DH. 

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

All I'm saying is that Trey will be a solid player...the Salmon comp wasn't supposed to be a statistical one...i was using the analogy to say Mancini might be a Salmon type player...beloved by his home fans and not really well known around the league. And by the way, even if I over stated Mancini in his comparison to Tim, who's to say I'm absolutely wrong...we don't know what the future will bring. Its still only his second full season, and Trey could get stronger, smarter as a hitter and become a 30 HR a year guy. If Im wrong....who cares? SUE ME.

I just think Salmon was an extremely good player.   Maybe a little underappreciated because he played on the West Coast, but consistently very good.    Better than Adam Jones.   Better than Nick Markakis.    Better than BJ Surhoff.   Better than Brady Anderson.    That level of good.   And Trey Mancini will not be nearly as good as those guys.    I’d be pleased if he had a career as good or better than Luke Scott’s.

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't pay 8.5M a win for a 1B/DH.

More like 4.

Of course, 4 is better than 8.5, especially if you have a 10 WAR player, then thats  85 million per year which is stupid, then again 40 million is stupid too. IMO

I was referring to what I thought Fangraphs had declared as their idea of what what 1 WAR should cost.