Elias J2 International Orioles

interloper

2 hours ago, forphase1 said:

I defer to those with more knowledge on how things work than I, but I wonder if the reason we are going pitcher heavy is that is something we can fairly easily measure by analytics.  Especially in a situation where we didn't have many boots on the ground in the form of scouts earlier,  it seems we could bring in pitchers, put them on a mound,  and measure things like velocity, spin rate, etc easier than we can hitters attributes when we invite them in.   Again,  I could be way off, but that makes sense to me.   

But, I suspect Elias and Sig already have contacts and "ole boy" network in place and have a handle on the current crop coming available. The new Oriole boots on the ground, should help for the following signing periods.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I must say, I’ve never once paid attention to the July 2 announcements, but this year I will be eagerly awaiting information on who they’ve signed.   

Maybe the OH can set a new all-time peeps online record? :)

Bad week, I think half the world is on vacation that week. :)

The Meoli article has 2018-19 spend on actual prospects for our system at $2.0M-$2.1M.  I know our allotment is over $6M for the new J2 period, but I would be happy spending $4+M on prospects for our system in 2019-20 on the way to spending our full annual allotment by 2021-2022.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

Anybody have a list of the top ranked international prospects for the coming 2019-2020 signing period?  I know Elias has hinted at high participation for the O’s.

Who’s exciting? 

I doubt they will sign any of the top ranked players. They will likely target pop-up guys for mid 6 figure bonuses. 

1 minute ago, bird watcher said:

Well that seems mildly anticlimactic 

The shift in international philosophy happened last summer, Koby Perez was hired in January, the top of this year's class (million+ bonus types) have been scouted for years and most have had deals in place before the Orioles change in philosophy and definitely before Perez was hired. 

They signed the most young international players in team history this period, I think they'll be able to spend their entire allocation this upcoming period, and hopefully will be players for the top prospects the following period. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

The shift in international philosophy happened last summer, Koby Perez was hired in January, the top of this year's class (million+ bonus types) have been scouted for years and most have had deals in place before the Orioles change in philosophy and definitely before Perez was hired. 

They signed the most young international players in team history this period, I think they'll be able to spend their entire allocation this upcoming period, and hopefully will be players for the top prospects the following period. 

It seems like a sham to have a signing period minimum age but allow deals to be in place for years. It sure would be great if they would just implement an international draft. 

• Upvote 1