An Early Look at the 2020 Draft's Top Prospects

16 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Things can obviously change, but Torkelson would be my first pick.  His power appears to be remarkable to go with good hitting skills and fwiw, he appears to be excellent defensively at 1st base.    

I really don't see the Tigers picking another pitcher unless Hancock became a sure-fire ace. Torkelson is most likely the Tigers pick.

On 9/9/2019 at 11:04 AM, LookinUp said:

As of today, I want us to get Hancock or Martin, though it's hard to pass over truly special bats.

Me too. I'm not a fan of drafting Torkelson. The last thing the Orioles need is another 1B/DH guy and apparently Torkelson's bat isn't as special as the 1B Vaughn who was drafted 3rd earlier this year. The Orioles need more guys with multiple tools, guys that can hit and also play good D at premium defensive positions. 

3 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Me too. I'm not a fan of drafting Torkelson. The last thing the Orioles need is another 1B/DH guy and apparently Torkelson's bat isn't as special as the 1B Vaughn who was drafted 3rd earlier this year. The Orioles need more guys with multiple tools, guys that can hit and also play good D at premium defensive positions. 

Torkelson is supposed to have a lot more power than Vaughn.   

4 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

First and foremost, the O's need a great talent - almost regardless of position.  If the best player is a Pete Alonzo, a Cody Bellinger, a Josh Bell, a Freddie Freeman, or a Nelson Cruz - so be it.    

21 hours ago, Ruzious said:

First and foremost, the O's need a great talent - almost regardless of position.  If the best player is a Pete Alonzo, a Cody Bellinger, a Josh Bell, a Freddie Freeman, or a Nelson Cruz - so be it.    

But it sure would be nice if our future TOR featured:

1. 2020 draftee
2. DL Hall
3. Grayson Rodriguez

But a lot of different machinations would be huge improvements, obviously.

21 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

But it sure would be nice if our future TOR featured:

1. 2020 draftee
2. Adam Hall
3. Grayson Rodriguez

But a lot of different machinations would be huge improvements, obviously.

And something I think they need to do - hit big on at least 2 international prospects like the Nats and Braves did (of course not breaking rules like the Braves did). Neither of those teams would be where they are if they hadn't.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

Are Hancock or Martin considered elite generational talent?

Nobody in this year’s class is supposed to be at the level of Rutschman but the class is supposed to be deeper. I believe Hancock is supposed to be better than any arm in this year’s class. 

2 hours ago, higgybaby said:

Are Hancock or Martin considered elite generational talent?

Not at this point but players often will develop and answer questions in the spring. With the abundance of pitching talent, I’d bet there is a true 5-10 year TOR ace in there somewhere, it’ll just be picking the right one. 

12 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Not at this point but players often will develop and answer questions in the spring. With the abundance of pitching talent, I’d bet there is a true 5-10 year TOR ace in there somewhere, it’ll just be picking the right one. 

And developing him the right way.

According to the pipeline article, it looks like Hancock has emerged as the top guy, but the draft is still 8-9 months away. Lots can change and I’m sure it will. 

If baseball doesn’t like teams “tanking” then they should open up the draft and make all the picks tradeable. It might help the “have nots” get more back in trades, and the ability to have the ability to stock pile picks. 

This draft will be in 2020. That means players won’t be arriving till around 2024-2025. Take BPA and no Grienier/Stewart type picks. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

23 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

According to the pipeline article, it looks like Hancock has emerged as the top guy, but the draft is still 8-9 months away. Lots can change and I’m sure it will. 

If baseball doesn’t like teams “tanking” then they should open up the draft and make all the picks tradeable. It might help the “have nots” get more back in trades, and the ability to have the ability to stock pile picks. 

This draft will be in 2020. That means players won’t be arriving till around 2024-2025. Take BPA and no Grienier/Stewart type picks. 

Do you have a link to this pipeline article?

2 hours ago, higgybaby said:

Do you have a link to this pipeline article?

Top NCAA prospects 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/best-college-prospects-2020-mlb-draft.html

Top HS prospects

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/best-high-school-prospects-2020-mlb-draft.html

They make it seem like there is a big gap between the two UGA SP, Hancock and Wilcox. It seemed from earlier articles that it was pretty much a toss up. 

We could really use another potential TOR arm in the system, but Martin or Crow-Armstrong could be the best at #2.

Grow the bats, buy the arms(with the bats).

Edited by sportsfan8703