The Rubber Match (vs. ASTROS, 6/09)

OFFNY

36 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Considering the fact that Mountcastle has played 1B in 53 out of the 60 games at AAA this season, I would say yes it would be a pretty dramatic change to promote him and then move him to 2B. 

He came up a SS/3B, it's not like it's foreign territory. And who said he can't work on it before he's promoted. I never said promote him then stick him at 2B. Just because I said put Villar at SS and Mountcastle at 2B, doesn't mean right away. I doubt the Orioles are trading Villar.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I've asked this question a few times before, and I don't think I've ever gotten an answer:

Mountcastle came up as an infielder, and as I understand it, he can't play SS or 3B at an acceptable level because he lacks the arm strength. Wouldn't it make sense -- and maybe now it's too late in his development and would interfere with trying to learn another new position -- to try him at 2B?

I've never heard that he lacks the range to play 2B. A second baseman who can provide adequate defense and can hit is a lot more valuable than the same guy as a first baseman. 

I don't disagree. I don't why they haven't tried out Mountcastle at 2B this year. Maybe they just want Mountcastle to focus on his bat and worry about defense with him later. 

32 minutes ago, Philip said:

First base is less concerned about arm than second, if he’s going to play anywhere, it would have to be first.

That doesnt solve the logjam at first. And if Mountcastle is capable at 2b, it would be foolish not to try it.

1 minute ago, TINSTAAPP said:

I don't disagree. I don't why they haven't tried out Mountcastle at 2B this year. Maybe they just want Mountcastle to focus on his bat and worry about defense with him later. 

I don't think they want him to fail at a third position. 

9 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

That doesnt solve the logjam at first. And if Mountcastle is capable at 2b, it would be foolish not to try it.

I agree on both counts, God knows we have a plethora of first basemen. Try everybody everywhere. Find out the best place for everybody to play. That’s what the season is all about. Meanwhile, regarding Phillips, it’s possible that the best place for him to play is somewhere else.

7 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Indians have tied the NYYs in the bottom of the ninth, on a two-out error by Gregorius, who misplayed a ground ball. Winning run is on third.

The folks at pinstripe alley must be going mad.

Archived