Ghiroli: Adam Jones

weams

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What?

1) You say you like Adam Jones as much as anyone else

2) You say you don't care what he has to say

1 and 2 don't go together. If you like him as much as me you would like to hear what he has to say.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, atomic said:

1) You say you like Adam Jones as much as anyone else

2) You say you don't care what he has to say

1 and 2 don't go together. If you like him as much as me you would like to hear what he has to say.

Just because you like a ball player, mean you care what they say.

I totally love Rick Dempsey the player.

Now, Rick Dempsey the baseball analyst. Well, thats a different story. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I love and respect Adam Jones and appreciate everything he meant to this team and city, but the Orioles don’t owe him anything.  It’s a business, and while I do think the situation could have been handled better by all parties, the organization chose to move forward without him, and that clearly hurt his feelings.  It probably felt like a divorce after being an Oriole for 11 years, because he clearly expected to be an Oriole for life, or at least hoped to be.

The reality is that whenever he decides to retire, he will immediately be welcomed back into the Oriole family and will be an Oriole Hall of Famer.  The O’s will probably try and have him become a team ambassador, similar to what Eddie & Brooks are now doing.  The warm and fuzzies will return eventually, but for now, there is disappointment in how his Oriole career ended, and that’s understandable.  But if you remember how Eddie Murray left the organization initially, and how he was welcomed back with open arms when he came back in 1996 (and has remained a beloved figure), I have no doubt that the same will be true with Adam whenever he calls it a career.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Just because you like a ball player, mean you care what they say.

I totally love Rick Dempsey the player.

Now, Rick Dempsey the baseball analyst. Well, thats a different story. :)

Funny. I like Dempsey in spite of his baseball opinions. He's a likable fellow even though I might choose to do the opposite of any advice he ever gives. Jones just isn't likable to me, but his opinions are almost certainly smarter than Dempsey's.

50 minutes ago, Aglets said:

How many GMs have worked out trades for the same player twice?

I guess with Jones it would technically be thrice if you include last year.   Heh.    The sweater vest is relentless yo.

Too lazy to look it up right now and confirm, but I’m pretty sure Theo Epstein traded for Rizzo twice 

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Funny. I like Dempsey in spite of his baseball opinions. He's a likable fellow even though I might choose to do the opposite of any advice he ever gives. Jones just isn't likable to me, but his opinions are almost certainly smarter than Dempsey's.

i like Dempsey, not loved him like when he was playing.

Dempsey does actually make sense at times, and at times, you just shake you head and yup thats just Rick being Rick.

2 minutes ago, Obando said:

I love and respect Adam Jones and appreciate everything he meant to this team and city, but the Orioles don’t owe him anything.  It’s a business, and while I do think the situation could have been handled better by all parties, the organization chose to move forward without him, and that clearly hurt his feelings.  It probably felt like a divorce after being an Oriole for 11 years, because he clearly expected to be an Oriole for life, or at least hoped to be.

The reality is that whenever he decides to retire, he will immediately be welcomed back into the Oriole family and will be an Oriole Hall of Famer.  The O’s will probably try and have him become a team ambassador, similar to what Eddie & Brooks are now doing.  The warm and fuzzies will return eventually, but for now, there is disappointment in how his Oriole career ended, and that’s understandable.  But if you remember how Eddie Murray left the organization initially, and how he was welcomed back with open arms when he came back in 1996 (and has remained a beloved figure), I have no doubt that the same will be true with Adam whenever he calls it a career.

Eddie was run out of town by some of the fans, and it was like a bitter divorce, glad to see they patch things up.

Jones has always been a little more vocal about things than what is necessary but he seems like a good guy and always played hard. I haven’t a negative thing to say about him. Except he sounded like an idiot when he said “they don’t pay us to walk”. Oh yeah and every single time he swung at the down and away pitch, I said plenty of negative things then. Wait...then there was the time he refused a trade to stay on a sinking ship despite years of “all I wanna do is win”. 

Whatever, other than all those times...nothing negative to say about him. 

• Upvote 1

I completely understand Adam Jones turning down the trades.  As a 10/5 player, he earned that right, and as he was entering FA as a 32 year old, in a market that was already tough on older players, I understand not wanting to uproot his family twice in a short period.  

That being said, the rumors I've heard from people are that he did not willingly move out of CF for Cedric Mullens despite what he claims.  I have a problem with that, and ultimately if that's the case, I completely understand the Orioles not bringing him back.  If true, he didn't show leadership at the time, and doubtful that he would show leadership moving forward.