Hyde postgame

eddie83

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Certainly odd to have Severino catching a day game after a night game.

The catching situation is unusual. Remember Sisco catching 10 or so straight games in Norfolk? Wynns is on game 4 right now, a day game after a night game.

Maybe they realized Sisco was human and needed a rest?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm trying to get over the idea of a whole platoon worth of soldiers wanting to read the Sunday paper, much less desiring their own copy instead of sharing. 

Maybe it was 'that' Sunday paper that actually was a magazine that came by mail in a paper bag type wrapper with the return address so small you needed a microscope to read it.

2 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

Maybe it was 'that' Sunday paper that actually was a magazine that came by mail in a paper bag type wrapper with the return address so small you needed a microscope to read it.

I can't imagine them letting folks in basic have one of those.  Hell my squad bay had a contraband chess set.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

That’s not the point. stick Wilkerson in centerfield. Remember, as Mike said, “winning now is not relevant to the long term strategy” Or whatever it was he said. Therefore it doesn’t matter-up to a point- who you put in centerfield. Wilkerson is fine, and you can reinforce very clearly to Broxton that his only value is defensive, and if he’s stupid in the field he has no value at all. If the worst team in baseball releases you, the road to retirement is very short.

Buuuttt....Nothing was done, and here it is.

Nothing was done? You're in the Orioles' clubhouse now? You're privy to private conversations between Hyde and his players?

Your whole line of argument in this thread is beyond silly for about a dozen reasons. Here's a few of them.

1. You seem shocked when the Orioles make sloppy plays. I hate to break it to you, but...the Orioles have lots of bad players. Bad players make bad, and often sloppy, plays. The talent level just isn't there.

2. You seem to think that verbally criticizing players, in public or behind closed doors, has no meaning and cannot possibly have an effect. That's certainly not true.

3. You advocate for Hyde to send players to the minors, even though, a.) that's not his decision, and b.) some of the players you mention are out of options or cannot be sent down without their permission.

4. You think that the most appropriate "punishment" for a player is to be publicly humiliated and pulled from a game in progress. How often does any manager pull a player in the middle of a game for making a sloppy play? 

5. You think the O's can just get rid of all the players who make sloppy plays and replace them with someone else. As if the replacements, fresh up from the minors or the waiver wire, wouldn't also make mistakes. You'd run out of players pretty quick.

There is a difference between being a bad player and making stupid fundamental baseball mistakes. It is entirely possible to be the one without being the other. I don’t want Brandon to publicly shame his players, I actually think that’s a bad idea(Although if he did, he would not be either the first or the last to do so.) And yes I think pulling Broxton would have been entirely appropriate. Neither you nor I know what he’s doing in private. I haven’t Suggested otherwise. But what he IS doing, whatever it is, is having no affect. I learned long ago and very well that if you try something and it doesn’t work, you try something else.

Yes, I strongly feel that sloppy play- as opposed to merely bad play-deserves repercussions. Everyone here knows that few if any of our current 25 will be on the next good team, so what’s wrong with sending guys away? What’s wrong with sending guys down? Evan Phillips has bounced back-and-forth like a yo-yo. I am well aware that we are stuck with Davis and some other guys who are deemed too valuable to release, And a few are just placeholders.

We have a lot of guys who can come up and fill some spots. I would much rather have a rookie making rookie mistakes out of enthusiasm for finally having a chance, then an experienced veteran playing sloppy because, why not.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for reading mine.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

We have a lot of guys who can come up and fill some spots. I would much rather have a rookie making rookie mistakes out of enthusiasm for finally having a chance, then an experienced veteran playing sloppy because, why not.

Service time considerations, not ready for prime time, injured, recovering from injury, worse that what is already here, and did I mention service time.

25 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Nothing was done? You're in the Orioles' clubhouse now? You're privy to private conversations between Hyde and his players?

Your whole line of argument in this thread is beyond silly for about a dozen reasons. Here's a few of them.

1. You seem shocked when the Orioles make sloppy plays. I hate to break it to you, but...the Orioles have lots of bad players. Bad players make bad, and often sloppy, plays. The talent level just isn't there.

2. You seem to think that verbally criticizing players, in public or behind closed doors, has no meaning and cannot possibly have an effect. That's certainly not true.

3. You advocate for Hyde to send players to the minors, even though, a.) that's not his decision, and b.) some of the players you mention are out of options or cannot be sent down without their permission.

4. You think that the most appropriate "punishment" for a player is to be publicly humiliated and pulled from a game in progress. How often does any manager pull a player in the middle of a game for making a sloppy play? 

5. You think the O's can just get rid of all the players who make sloppy plays and replace them with someone else. As if the replacements, fresh up from the minors or the waiver wire, wouldn't also make mistakes. You'd run out of players pretty quick.

Joey Rickard Has never been a sloppy player, he’s just not very good. I would rather have him then Broxton,for instance because Joey doesn’t make sloppy plays. Mullins is not a sloppy player. He’s just not a very good one, and I would rather have Mullins. I’d actually rather have Joey than Cedric, but I’d rather have either one then Broxton.

1 minute ago, thezeroes said:

Service time considerations, not ready for prime time, injured, recovering from injury, worse that what is already here, and did I mention service time.

Forty man roster considerations.

Thus far we have seen NO indications that Elias is as concerned about service time as posters here seem to be.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Forty man roster considerations.

Thus far we have seen NO indications that Elias is as concerned about service time as posters here seem to be.

I consider placing players on the Forty Man part of the Service Time.  Once put on the forty a player can be optioned for three years but then it limits your ability once the three years is up.  Take Dylan Bundy for an example.  Placed on the forty right after signing, injured used options up while rehabbing from surgery,  Was not placed on the sixty because that counts against his service clock.  If he had signed a conventional contract, his options would have remained intact through his TJ Surgery.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Joey Rickard Has never been a sloppy player, he’s just not very good. I would rather have him then Broxton,for instance because Joey doesn’t make sloppy plays. Mullins is not a sloppy player. He’s just not a very good one, and I would rather have Mullins. I’d actually rather have Joey than Cedric, but I’d rather have either one then Broxton.

I've certainly seen Rickard make mental mistakes, like throwing to the wrong base/missing the cutoff man on a fly ball. Those things happen, as frustrating as it is to watch as a fan. The mental mistakes aren't just going to magically disappear by swapping out some of the current bad players for some other bad players.

The best solution for cutting down on the sloppy play is, as Hyde implied by the "inventory" comment, gradually replacing the bad players with good ones. That's what the Mike Elias regime is working on doing. But it takes time, and it's not going to happen instantly. You can't just bench or get rid of every player the moment that he makes a sloppy play. The O's don't have the depth to replace all of them.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I agree with you but this is about Hyde and Broxton is who he has now. I am OK with calling out the team in general (the players in question know who he is talking about) and dropping Broxton to 8th. He will be gone soon enough and that is the ultimate accountability. Who knows, we may get Rickard or Mullins back.

This is basically what the team is going to be until June 1 of next year. Or whenever the date is to where we get an extra year or player control. Unfortunately for Hyde, he has to manage this expansion team, and can’t just turn the game off. 

Things have had to go incredibly bad for a guy like Broxton to be on the team. Mullins struggles. Hays was hurt. Diaz struggled then was hurt. 

I want our “prospects” kept far away from this team. Bring players like EY JR in for stop gaps next year and not Broxton. 

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Is Severino Means’ personal catcher? 

Opposing pitcher was lefthanded Saturday and Sunday.   And Friday, and today.

Looks like Hyde doesn't want to start Sisco vs lefties.,

Archived