Recent roster move/IL rundown (try to keep up)

interloper

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

AAA - 106 ks, 99 IP, 3.34 ERA at ages 24/25.  He's got a better resume then a lot of guys that are still here.  He also had an option.  

It is strange that he was released considering he had an option, but I’ll live.

And Gilmart is brought up to replace Hess on the roster.

So we still have 13 pitchers.

To make room for Gilmartin on the 40, Joey Rickard is DFA'd.

Observation:  Elias & company are not as painstakingly careful about keeping guys around who have options and trying to make maneuvers  so they don't risk losing any bodies as Duquette was.   Rickard, Sucre, Yefry... all have been DFA'd.

21 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Observation:  Elias & company are not as painstakingly careful about keeping guys around who have options and trying to make maneuvers  so they don't risk losing any bodies as Duquette was.   Rickard, Sucre, Yefry... all have been DFA'd.

You see it as “not as painstakingly careful” but I see “long overdue moves”.

On 6/17/2019 at 6:02 PM, SteveA said:

And Gilmart is brought up to replace Hess on the roster.

So we still have 13 pitchers.

To make room for Gilmartin on the 40, Joey Rickard is DFA'd.

Has Gilmartin pitched yet?

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah, keeping Straily over Yefry might be Elias's worst and most inexplicable moves. Only thing I can think of is the tanking theory.

What about the fact that Yefry has no track record of success and Straily has some?  

They are both gone now.  If the purpose was to intentionally lose as many games as possible, Straily would still be here.  

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah, keeping Straily over Yefry might be Elias's worst and most inexplicable moves. Only thing I can think of is the tanking theory.

If losing Yefry is Elias' worst move, he will become the best GM in the history of baseball. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Why?  Straily was terrible, nobody disputes that.  But, what had Yefry done to merit calling getting rid of him Elias's "worst and most inexplicable move?"  His ERA near 6 last season and ERA over 6 this season?  The fact that the Orioles were his third organization, and the Pirates now his fourth?  The two moves were not tied to each other.  Yefry showed absolutely no merit of being a major leaguer in a low pressure situation on the worst team in baseball the last two seasons, and nothing Straily did or didn't do changes that.

31 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

What about the fact that Yefry has no track record of success and Straily has some?  

They are both gone now.  If the purpose was to intentionally lose as many games as possible, Straily would still be here.  

This.  Keeping Strailey over Yefrey was the right move at the time.  Strailey has a track record of success and the hope was he'd pitch well enough to bring something back at the deadline.  I have no problem with Elias keeping Strailey over Ramirez, even though Strailey really struggled and was eventually DFAed.  I care more about the process of making the decision than the actual results of the decision when it comes to something this insignificant.

1 minute ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Why?  Straily was terrible, nobody disputes that.  But, what had Yefry done to merit calling getting rid of him Elias's "worst and most inexplicable move?"  His ERA near 6 last season and ERA over 6 this season?  The fact that the Orioles were his third organization, and the Pirates now his fourth?  The two moves were not tied to each other.  Yefry showed absolutely no merit of being a major leaguer in a low pressure situation on the worst team in baseball the last two seasons, and nothing Straily did or didn't do changes that.

I actually meant that as a compliment to Elias in that he hasn't made any glaringly bad moves. I don't believe Yefry is great but he is better than we have in AAA or the back end of our MLB rotation based on his minor league track record.

On 6/17/2019 at 3:36 PM, Il BuonO said:

You’re seriously in a twist over losing Yefry Ramirez? 

Vaya con Dios.

In the big game of things he wasn't a big loss, but for a team that ran out Josh Lucus, Dan Straily and Evan Phillips, I'd take Ramirez.