Is This the Bottom?

Aristotelian

3 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I have been reluctant to criticize Hyde's in-game decisions, or have tried to be, because I appreciate that he is trying to juggle two objectives: putting players in game situations where their potential future value to the Orioles can be evaluated, and trying to win ballgames. Pursuing one or the other of those goals often will lead to different lineup and in-game decisions. I get that.

But putting Eades in Saturday's game (most of which I didn't see, but I was there at the end), and sticking with him until the game was lost once he was obviously ineffective, seemed idiotic. If I were an Oriole player, I would be pissed off at Hyde's willingness to give that game away after the Orioles had battled back from behind. I don't see how it can be justified as providing a useful test of the pitching talents of Ryan Eades and his future value to the Orioles. 

Inclined to agree here, though I don't know who else he had left instead of Eades.  I was late to the game too but didn't understand why he was brought in.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Inclined to agree here, though I don't know who else he had left instead of Eades.  I was late to the game too but didn't understand why he was brought in.

Eades was our 10th pitcher that night, our 9th reliever.

Other relievers available were:

Harvey -- had pitched the night before and they said they weren't going to use him back to back

Evan Phillips

Tayler Scott -- had just been recalled from Bowie after they lost Friday night and had just joined the team in Detroit

Both Phillips and Tayler Scott have been pretty bad this year.   I bet if either of them had come in and had given up a walk and a grand slam, the complaints would have been there too.

38 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Eades was our 10th pitcher that night, our 9th reliever.

Other relievers available were:

Harvey -- had pitched the night before and they said they weren't going to use him back to back

Evan Phillips

Tayler Scott -- had just been recalled from Bowie after they lost Friday night and had just joined the team in Detroit

Both Phillips and Tayler Scott have been pretty bad this year.   I bet if either of them had come in and had given up a walk and a grand slam, the complaints would have been there too.

It was interesting to see how few pitches some of the relievers threw:

Tanner Scott 12; Tate 15; Bleier 18; Castro 7; Givens 22 (gives up game-tying HR in the 9th); Armstrong 9; Kline 10; Fry 17; Eades 10 (yields game-ending HR).

The night before: Armstrong 14; Fry 17; Harvey 11; Givens 19.

That leaves Tanner Scott, Tate, Bleier, Castro, and Kline as pitchers Hyde did not feel good about sticking with even though they had not pitched the night before. Pulling Castro was in obeisance to the idea that Givens is a normal closer, which is debatable. But using Kline for only 10 pitches to bring in Fry is interesting.

Maybe he was saving Tanner and Tate for today: Phillips 21; Tanner Scott 14; Tate 16; Tay Scott 20.

I'm sure Hyde is grateful that Phillips and Tay Scott were ready today. It was a day game after an extra-inning game the night before and Fry, Armstrong, and Givens had pitched two games in a row and Eades was probably still traumatized and we were only a few runs ahead of the Tigers. It would seem that Bleier, Castro, Kline, Harvey (closer-role) is the preferred pack in the Monday game, if needed, with Eades, Armstrong, Fry, and Givens as the next line, and Tate, Phillips, and Tay Scott out.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, LA2 said:

Tanner Scott 12; Tate 15; Bleier 18; Castro 7; Givens 22 (gives up game-tying HR in the 9th); Armstrong 9; Kline 10; Fry 17; Eades 10 (yields game-ending HR).

That leaves Tanner Scott, Tate, Bleier, Castro, and Kline as pitchers Hyde did not feel good about sticking with even though they had not pitched the night before. Pulling Castro was in obeisance to the idea that Givens is a normal closer, which is debatable. But using Kline for only 10 pitches to bring in Fry is interesting.

Maybe he was saving Tanner and Tate for today: Phillips 21; Tanner Scott 14; Tate 16; Tay Scott 20.

I'm sure Hyde is grateful that Phillips and Tay Scott were ready today. It was a day game after an extra-inning game the night before and Fry, Armstrong, and Givens had pitched two games in a row and Eades was probably still traumatized and we were only a few runs ahead of the Tigers. It would seem that Bleier, Castro, Kline, Harvey (closer-role) is the preferred pack in the Monday game, if needed, with Eades, Armstrong, Fry, and Givens as the next line, and Tate, Phillips, and Tay Scott out.

It's Hunter Harvey Day!  ⚾ ?  (That is unless the biceps barks!)  ?

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

Next year with the 26 man roster I expect to see more pitching changes than even this year.  I am not sure why the league is increasing the size of the roster. I am sure the Orioles will go with a 3 man bench most of the year.  

20 minutes ago, atomic said:

Next year with the 26 man roster I expect to see more pitching changes than even this year.  I am not sure why the league is increasing the size of the roster. I am sure the Orioles will go with a 3 man bench most of the year.  

There is different rules going into next season with the additional player. I think you're only allowed 13 pitchers. I also believe they have a minimum batters faced rule next season.

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

There is different rules going into next season with the additional player. I think you're only allowed 13 pitchers. I also believe they have a minimum batters faced rule next season.

What's the new rule say about non-pitchers pitching?  Are they effectively banned?

That would be disappointing.  It's a lot more fun watching Stevie Wilkerson pitch than anybody's 13th-best pitcher.