I will absolutely take Santander's production in RF right now

interloper

I just felt like I needed to get this out there. Santander is doing pretty well! He's not lighting it up, but after guys like Gentry, Rickard, Trumbo, whoever else we've played in RF lately, I'm finding Santander to be a breath of fresh air.

As of last night's game (6/25), he's batting .275/.338/.420/.758 with 2 homers, 4 doubles, 6 walks to 12 Ks in 69 (nice) AB. He's also robbed two home runs and hasn't made a fool of himself out there. 

Guys - that's pretty serviceable! It's a small sample, but it's basically the kind of thing he was doing in AAA, so that's encouraging to see him continue that up here and even go a tick beyond. We'll see if it continues, but so far he's made me sort of forget about Stewart's injury for the time being. Couple that with Davis riding the bench, Mancini playing more 1B, and Smith coming back and it's resembling a ML outfield out there. 

I would describe Santander's play of late as "pleasantly average" and I will 100% take that in RF after having to experience the other options over the years. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Aglets said:

I saw that DJ Stewart is out on a rehab assignment now.  Who would you send down to make room for him?

It it were me, probably Wilkerson since Dwight's back and the infield is pretty set. Then again, he's the back up CF. So it could very well be Santander, unfortunately. 

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

I just felt like I needed to get this out there. Santander is doing pretty well! He's not lighting it up, but after guys like Gentry, Rickard, Trumbo, whoever else we've played in RF lately, I'm finding Santander to be a breath of fresh air.

As of last night's game (6/25), he's batting .275/.338/.758 with 2 homers, 4 doubles, 6 walks to 12 Ks in 69 (nice) AB. He's also robbed two home runs and hasn't made a fool of himself out there. 

Just a small point of order.

He is hitting .275/.338/.420    for a .758 OPS.    Don't want people to think he is hitting over 1.000.

That's decent, no doubt.    I think either Smith or Santander will go for Stewart.    Does Smith have any options left?

While Santander’s offensive numbers have been fine so far, it’s his defense that has been the most pleasant surprise. What he lacks in speed and physical prowess he makes up for with great instincts. I’d expect opposing teams to start scouting his tendencies at the plate, which should bring that OPS down a notch or two. But I think the glove will play as long as he’s out there. 

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

He is hitting .275/.338/.420    for a .758 OPS.    Don't want people to think he is hitting over 1.000.

That's decent, no doubt.    I think either Smith or Santander will go for Stewart.    Does Smith have any options left?

I think that's a touch too bold at this point. Stewart deserves a shot, but Smith is one of the only offensive producers on the club. 

1 minute ago, ShoelesJoe said:

While Santander’s offensive numbers have been fine so far, it’s his defense that has been the most pleasant surprise. What he lacks in speed and physical prowess he makes up for with great instincts. I’d expect opposing teams to start scouting his tendencies at the plate, which should bring that 1.100 OPS down a notch or two. But I think the glove will play as long as he’s out there. 

Sorry, should have been more clear. The .758 is the OPS, not the SLG. I've edited the OP. 

Just now, interloper said:

Sorry, should have been more clear. The .758 is the OPS, not the SLG. 

Ya, I fixed my post after I saw the correction. It feels like Santander gets a double every night so the 1.100 OPS didn’t look outrageous. 

13 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I saw that DJ Stewart is out on a rehab assignment now.  Who would you send down to make room for him?

TBH, I would DFA Ruiz and put Nunez at 3B. Yeah, I know Nunez made a bunch of throwing errors last year but his overall defensive metrics at 3B actually wasn't that bad and he offers almost zero value at DH.  

2 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

TBH, I would DFA Ruiz and put Nunez at 3B. Yeah, I know Nunez made a bunch of throwing errors last year but his overall defensive metrics at 3B actually wasn't that bad and he offers almost zero value at DH.  

If Nunez offers almost zero value at DH then he’s offering even less as a poor fielding third baseman. At least Ruiz provides very good defense at third. How about DFAing Nunez and then put Hanser Alberto at DH? I know HA is mashing lefties at the plate, but in the field he’s a bull in a china shop. 

6 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

If Nunez offers almost zero value at DH then he’s offering even less as a poor fielding third baseman. At least Ruiz provides very good defense at third. How about DFAing Nunez and then put Hanser Alberto at DH? I know HA is mashing lefties at the plate, but in the field he’s a bull in a china shop. 

When Nunez is hot it's awesome. 16 bombs out of the DH spot is objectively GOOD, but the rest of his game is pretty poor, resulting in that 0.4 WAR this season. He's in another funk right now, too. But then he could get hot and and suddenly he's got 20 bombs before the All Star break. I'm on the fence about what exactly to do with him. Still only 25 years old. 

32 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Not Broxton? He strikes out almost 50% of the time.

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Not Broxton? He strikes out almost 50% of the time.

I think Broxton is safe at least for now.  But I could be wrong.  One of the Ten Commandments of roster construction is you must have at least two bodies on your team that can play CF.   That seems to be Broxton and Wilkerson right now.......and I don't think they leave unless it's for another CF.

Cedric Mullins has a .631 OPS in Norfolk right now btw...........sigh.

Archived