2019 Trade Deadline

sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It was still a terrible trade. A pure pathetic salary dump. Gausman has been inconsistent his whole career, but he'd still be the #2 SP on our team. I didn't dive into the pitch info for his last start, but in general he's been much more successful when he's thrown his slider more. 

6 runs, 9 hits, no command of his fastball, typical of bad Gausman starts throughout his career.  And the salary dump of 9 million for an injured Oday was smart, not pathetic.  And trades for prospects ultimately are decided years later...we shall see. 

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It was still a terrible trade. A pure pathetic salary dump. Gausman has been inconsistent his whole career, but he'd still be the #2 SP on our team. I didn't dive into the pitch info for his last start, but in general he's been much more successful when he's thrown his slider more. 

-1.1 WAR, 5.97 ERA...yes, he would be our number two.   But then I could be our number two this year lol. 

23 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

-1.1 WAR, 5.97 ERA...yes, he would be our number two.   But then I could be our number two this year lol. 

I think we can use no. 2 in the sense of bodily functions and apply it to Gausman this year.   

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If we wouldn't have muddied the waters by trying to dump O'Day's salary we could have gotten one of the Braves top tier pitching prospects in return for Gausman. Prioritizing saving money, when O'Days salary was coming off the books soon anyway, over getting a top prospect was a mistake.Especially as desperate as we are for pitching prospects.  What happens post trade (i.e., if the player is non-tendered) is irrelevant. Also what exactly did we do with that international money?

Did you just see what the Jays got for Stroman? I don't think it's safe to assume that Gausman would have brought back a top prospect. He simply isn't very good.

27 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

After seeing hitting whiff on Stevie Wilkerson's slow-pitch curveball, maybe so!

25 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I didn't like the trade after Gausman's first few starts with Braves last year  but it now appears to be a fair deal. O'Day will probably never throw a single pitch in a Braves uni, Gausman  is regressing back to the Gausman we knew and the LHP we received (Zimmerman) looks like he may become a valuable member of the bullpen. Even trade, nothing to complain about. 

3 minutes ago, Whammer said:

I didn't like the trade after Gausman's first few starts with Braves last year  but it now appears to be a fair deal. O'Day will probably never throw a single pitch in a Braves uni, Gausman  is regressing back to the Gausman we knew and the LHP we received (Zimmerman) looks like he may become a valuable member of the bullpen. Even trade, nothing to complain about. 

If KG doesn't bounce back next season, people will remember this deal as the fleecing of the Braves.

14 minutes ago, theocean said:

Did you just see what the Jays got for Stroman? I don't think it's safe to assume that Gausman would have brought back a top prospect. He simply isn't very good.

Woods-Richardson is very good. He’s going to be an easy top 100 guy next year, maybe top 50.

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Woods-Richardson is very good. He’s going to be an easy top 100 guy next year, maybe top 50.

Stroman is a lot better than Gausman.

People think just because we were rumored to get a name like Shane Baz from Pitt, that it was actually a reality and we turned it down to dump salary.  Baz was never going to happen  

We won the Gausman trade. He will be non tendered this offseason. 

Gausman is making $9.35 million this year. 

O’day has made $13 million with ATL w/o throwing a single pitch. 

Just by shedding salary alone we won. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

People think just because we were rumored to get a name like Shane Baz from Pitt, that it was actually a reality and we turned it down to dump salary.  Baz was never going to happen  

I would have sought a different type of return (if that was even an option) in the Gausman deal, but it was fair from a value sense which I said at the time. Both Gausman and the top prospect piece (JCE) have underperformed expectations. 

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

6 runs, 9 hits, no command of his fastball, typical of bad Gausman starts throughout his career.  And the salary dump of 9 million for an injured Oday was smart, not pathetic.  And trades for prospects ultimately are decided years later...we shall see. 

That's all hindsight though. I'm not evaluating the trade a year later (based on performance), I'm evaluating it based on what it was at the time it was made. 

35 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Baz was never going to happen? Even after we saw them guy their farm system and trade Glasnow and Meadows for Archer? I'm no so sure about that. 

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

And wasn't the top prospect in the deal ok too? 

I disagree with the assessment that Kay was the top guy in the deal, but yeah he’s solid. It’s like Grayson Rodriguez and Keegan Akin for Stroman, that’d be a pretty comparable return IMO. Grayson is a little better than Woods-Richardson, Kay is a little better than Akin.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

If KG doesn't bounce back next season, people will remember this deal as the fleecing of the Braves.

Fleecing is a bit strong unless Zimmerman turns into the next John Means. The Braves gave up a lot of cash betting they could fix Gausman. Didn’t happen. 

Archived