Bradford traded to Tampa Bay for player to be named later

Tony-OH

Regardless of what we get back, it was the right thing to do considering the current state of the organization. He was blocking guys who might have a chance to help us when/if we get back to being a contender. The last thing a last place club needs is three middle relievers making over $3M per year. We've got rid of one of them. Two to go.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The prospect will be much closer to a salary dump than it will to someone like Niemann or Brignac.

If we get someone as good as Scott Moore, MacPhail will have done a good job. This screams salary dump, even MacPhail's quotes pretty much give it away.

If we get NOTHING more than the salary relief, MacPhail will have done a good job. If we get a Scott Moore type, AM will have done a fantastic job. And if he can do the same with Ramon, he should be deified. (Okay, I got a little carried away here.)

Bonderman wasn't filler, but point taken. I think that if we eat a lot of salary, one of the poorer teams could afford Bradford, and TB is a pretty poor team, relatively speaking. If they're trying to win now - and, frankly, getting Bradford makes me wonder if they aren't half-assing this, knowing they'll be very good, very soon, so why trade anyone? - then they might give up a decent throw-in prospect. Their minors are still stacked; there's no reason that, say, the #15 guy in their system couldn't wind up being pretty good.

Come to think of it, they might just throw in Gomes - when their system is as loaded as it is, Gomes might look like their Luis Hernandez pretty soon. :D

Good points. I just thought getting Brignac was a little out of the question.

They do seem down on Gomes and he hasn't produced well at all lately...maybe he will be the PTBNL, and I'd be happy with that...I think he could be a classic change of scenery guy.

well the cubs just aquired brian schlictter from the phils for Scott Eyre. he looks like a decent prospect and i think Bradford is worth more than eyre.

Plus Bradford was claimed off waivers by the rays. so i think if it was a straight salary dump, we'd have just let him go on waivers.

so i'm holding hope for a decent prospect.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=mlb&id=5639

Regardless of what we get back, it was the right thing to do considering the current state of the organization. He was blocking guys who might have a chance to help us when/if we get back to being a contender. The last thing a last place club needs is three middle relievers making over $3M per year. We've got rid of one of them. Two to go.
If we get NOTHING more than the salary relief, MacPhail will have done a good job. If we get a Scott Moore type, AM will have done a fantastic job. And if he can do the same with Ramon, he should be deified. (Okay, I got a little carried away here.)

I disagree with both of these. There's no doubt in my mind that we could have traded Bradford - a solid middle reliever who only has a 1-year/3.5 contract - in November for a decent player. I'll be disappointed if this is purely a salary dump. On the other hand, I don't expect a Brignac type of player in return. Some b level prospect would be nice.

Guest oriofan8

Does anyone think that Brignac breaking his wrist last night and going on the DL may have anything to do with this trade?:scratchchinhmm::scratchchinhmm: PTBNL....looking at next season??? I dunno....coincidence??

Good job by Peter to get MacPhail's comments so quickly. That to me sounds like a salary dump.

I doubt knowing Mcphail's personality that he is going to say what he really thinks here. He never seems to say much until something is done. Until they name the return I doubt he will say anything. And the deal is not really done!

I don't know why anyone is getting their hopes up that the PTBNL will be a productive player.

From the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_to_be_named_later

Maybe I'm missing some others, but I can't find anyone else.

Never fails to amaze me how excited members of this board will get over a ptbnl that'll 99% turn out to be minor league filler.

If it was Gomes that we got back, could he be another David Ortiz? Ortiz couldn't hit LHP just like Gomes can't hit RHP, but eventually he blossomed into the hitter he is today after being acquired by the Red Sox. Gomes is about Ortiz's age as well. Could Gomes do the same thing?

If it was Gomes that we got back, could he be another David Ortiz? Ortiz couldn't hit LHP just like Gomes can't hit RHP, but eventually he blossomed into the hitter he is today after being a PTBNL in a trade to the Red Sox. Gomes is about Ortiz's age as well. Could Gomes do the same thing?

Absolutely.

Now the trick is getting Manny to make him into Beeg Papi Duex.

If it was Gomes that we got back, could he be another David Ortiz? Ortiz couldn't hit LHP just like Gomes can't hit RHP, but eventually he blossomed into the hitter he is today after being a PTBNL in a trade to the Red Sox. Gomes is about Ortiz's age as well. Could Gomes do the same thing?

Not to nitpick, but Jonny will be 28 while Ortiz will be 33. I think Jonny has some baseball left in him.

Knowing that AM seems to get over value for players he deals I'm not concerned.

I agree with the crowd who says the O's could have moved Bradford for a decent prospect in the off season.

If it was a pure dump .. Why get a PTBNL... That just doesn't seem like AM's style.

The Orioles are not a poor team needing to dump payroll. They have been thrifty with the payroll for years. Not too mention dumping Tejada & Bedard this past off season & replacing them with the guys we got in return.

Gomes is a possibilty considering the move to the minors. I would hope for a IF or Pitcher as we are close to set in the OF for quite a few years.

The Rays have a chance at October ball for the first time in their history. If they aren't primed to over pay ...No team will ever be.

They have a loaded farm system & could lose a good prospect without losing sleep over it. Those who have been comparing Brignac to Wieters in this thread just dont get it. Wieters is the Orioles #1 prospect in a system barren of position talent. Tampa doesn't have that problem & in addition is loaded at the majors with young talent.

Maybe its the A list or B list thing. Maybe this trade can be turned in to a bigger one in the off season.

I'd be surprised if its Brignac... But boy wouldn't that be great!

Archived