MLB implementing "stealing first base" rule to Atlantic League

jabba72

33 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Basically if the pitcher or catcher drops a ball or makes an errant throw, the batter is allowed to take off and steal first base. . 

I think its not something that will catch on

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27168526/stealing-first-gets-tryout-atlantic-league

It's interesting in that it would add a new level of potential excitement, but feels too gimmicky (thanks @Il BuonO) and too far from traditional play to have any real hope of being implemented.  I'd vote nay, pending a great and convincing counterpoint..

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

It's interesting in that it would add a new level of potential excitement, but feels too gimmicky (thanks @Il BuonO) and too far from traditional play to have any real hope of being implemented.  I'd vote nay, pending a great and convincing counterpoint..

No it’s not gimmicky at all. It’s like a dropped third strike, but the batter is allowed to break on any wild pitch. That’s a great rule.

It's part of a few new rules they are implementing.

They already made the bases larger (18" instead of 15"), which was pretty noticable in person. But that one seemed good.

The electronic strike zone is weird and will take some getting used to.

Batters can also bunt foul with 2 strikes once, before being out. 

3 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It's part of a few new rules they are implementing.

They already made the bases larger (18" instead of 15"), which was pretty noticable in person. But that one seemed good.

The electronic strike zone is weird and will take some getting used to.

Batters can also bunt foul with 2 strikes once, before being out. 

I wonder if players will still argue the electronic strike zone.  

• Haha 1

This rule would certainly favor speedy, quick players quite a bit.

It also makes pitchers think harder about throwing away pitches in the dirt with 2 strikes (which is probably the biggest reason MLB might want it). 

The electronic strike zone is a total no brainer as long as it works correctly. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, bird watcher said:

This rule would certainly favor speedy, quick players quite a bit.

It also makes pitchers think harder about throwing away pitches in the dirt with 2 strikes (which is probably the biggest reason MLB might want it). 

The electronic strike zone is a total no brainer as long as it works correctly. 

I don't think it would come up often at all but it could lead to some exciting moments.