And we said the pitching couldn't get worse...

25 Nuggets

Last night was the 17th game this season that the Orioles have given up 10 or more runs in a game.

Not five.  Not eight.  TEN.

It's the third time they've given up sixteen (16) runs in a game this season.

Remember last year, with that historically bad starting rotation?  The team had an ERA of 5.18 and gave up 5.51 runs per game.  This year, with the bullpen joining the fun, the team has an ERA of 5.69 and is giving up 6.18 runs per game.

Runs are up overall, as documented by and quoted in many publications.  The American League is averaging 4.85 runs per team, per game.  That is a dramatic 0.32 run jump from last year and as far as I know, a record.  The Orioles are still giving up 26% more runs per game than the average AL team.  That's worse than last year's 21%.

It's blatantly obvious that winning at the major league level is not a priority for the organization, and I understand that and understand why.  I'm happy that the lower levels are doing well.  But at some point you need some dignity, don't you?  I can only imagine the depths to which this pitching staff would fall without Andrew Cashner and John Means.

They have nineteen (19) other pitchers already who've pitched at least ten innings.  The best of the rest, you might ask?   That would be Paul Fry, sporting a 4.29 ERA and 1.206 WHIP.  Only two others (Shawn Armstrong, Mychal Givens) have an ERA under five.  That's 5 out of 21 pitchers on the staff, who've pitched at least ten innings, with an ERA under 5.00.  (that number last year was 11 out of 23 pitchers)

Cashner and Means are a combined 16-7 this season.  The rest of the team:  11-56.

If the team trades Cashner without a suitable replacement, we may truly see all-time depths regarding bad pitching.  I'm ready to go all in on it.  It's entertaining in a train-wreck sort of way.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, TheThinkingOriole said:

But not 11. But not 12.

Eighteen times now.

With Cashner traded, it may happen eighteen more times.

If you wish though - the team has given up 11+ runs thirteen times; 12+ runs, eleven times.  I also did provide the average which is still 6.18 runs/game through 92 games now.

I have a reprint of the 1895 Spalding Base Ball Guide.  And one of the primary ways they broke down each team's record was by games in which one team scored 10+ and games where neither team scored 10+.  They called them "Double Figure Victories/Defeats" and "Single Figure Victories/Defeats". The Champion Orioles scored 10+ runs 51 times, and allowed 10+ runs 26 times.  They had nine games were each team scored 10+ runs.  They lost a game to Boston on June 18th 24-7.  They scored 20 or more three times, against the Giants, Chicago, and Brooklyn.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cy Bundy said:

I’ve watched just about everyone who has started a game in the majors over the last couple years, Eshelman is the worst pitcher I’ve seen in that time.

Only six base runners in 5.2 innings. Retired 11 in a row after the Meadows HR in the third. Really made only two mistakes the whole game. Seven strikeouts. Got out of a bases loaded no out jam with only one run allowed. Threw first pitch strikes to 17 (according to Hyde in the post game) of the batters he faced. Seems to have an above average to plus curveball. Wasn't getting hit all that hard aside from the two mistakes. Makes up for what he lacks in velocity with very good command and the ability to change speeds effectively on both sides of the plate. He definitely knows how to pitch.

He has shown more far more positive than negative in his first two starts both being against one of the best offensive teams in the league. If he is the "worst pitcher you've seen" in the last couple years, you either haven't seen many pitchers or don't understand pitching.

3 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

I’ve watched just about everyone who has started a game in the majors over the last couple years, Eshelman is the worst pitcher I’ve seen in that time.

Worse than Chris Tillman last year?

7 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

He throws pitching machine bp without command. 60+ pitches were either in the middle of the plate or too far off the plate to matter, he sits around 85mph without movement, & he more frequently missed the glove by more than a foot than he was able to locate within 6 inches of it. Severino would have hurt himself reaching for everything that went to the wrong side of the plate, but Eshelman throws so softly that Severino didn’t have to react all that quickly.

There is no chance he’s ever a decent mlb player for any month of his life. 

Sessh noted the bases loaded jam, but neglected to point out that he missed the zone with a 3-1 fb by 2 feet ... but the ump wanted to go home, so instead of walking in a run, as his actual performance was worthy of, he gets a K & people are convinced that he did something impressive. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a less talented professional athlete... and I’m a fan of the Os, Wizards, & Skins ... I’ve seen more than my fair share of pitiful athletes & Eshelmen is at the top of the list.

If he is bad as you say why did we pick him up? Oh now I know the Astros picked him in the second round in 2015,,  His AA stats are pretty awful.  

2 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

It’s very difficult to take posts like that seriously. If you watched the game & believe half of that, you’re simply not able to process the game rationally.

I watched the whole game and believe every word otherwise I wouldn't say it. He's not even the worst pitcher to pitch for this team this year. I can process the game rationally just fine, thanks. Just the fact that you think his pitches have no movement and had no command alone is pretty indicative of your ability to process anything about this game rationally. You don't get seven strikeouts throwing mid 80's without movement and command nor do you retire 11 in a row against one of the best offensive teams in baseball. You're either trolling or really just know that little about what you see during games.

7 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Well, then you are either mistaken due to your love of all things Orioles or in need of further evaluation. To suggest the guy only made two mistakes it’s laughable obtuse, he didn’t hit the glove more than 6-7 times in the outing. It’s not debatable, you’re wrong, I can illustrate just how bad he was with screenshots of his innumerable mistakes if it would help.

You are the kind of guy that makes a guy like me wealthy, I need guys like you to exist, but it doesn’t mean I don’t feel a bit bad from time to time knowing how serious you are about the things you are completely wrong about. Open that mind, consider that you may be wrong, have another look, embrace the fact that someone cares enough to walk you through what you’ve missed. I’m an ally, Sessh, don’t be prideful up on Esh Mountain.

Tampa just walked through a game in 94 degree heat the day after a double header ... it happens all the time. Eshelman couldn’t have missed his location more regularly or thrown more pitches in the heart of the plate ... he got extraordinarily lucky & still had a rough line when his day concluded. 

He missed the plate by 2 feet on a 3-1 pitch with the bases loaded & you laud him for it. Had that been called correctly & Mancini not made a diving catch...would his stuff have been worse? Of course not. You read into the things that have zero value, I’m here to help you through that, it’s a terrible place to get stuck, you’ll end up believing in guys like Josh Towers. 

Eshelman was atrocious...awful location, no velocity, and ..at best, a single fringe secondary pitch. He missed his location all day long and you spout some play-by-play nonsense about only making 2 mistakes ... brutal. You’re absolutely wrong, but that’s not harming anyone. Fair play to ya, buddy.

?

Did he steal your girlfriend or something?  This whole year has been mostly sad.  At least he ate up some innings today.

You're quite amusing. I've seen enough of your posts here to know just how little you know about what you see in games and prefer to just troll away instead of trying to pretend like you do. You're much better at posting your little picture memes which are at least occasionally amusing. I will look forward to your criticisms of all of our pitchers when they get favorable calls from time to time or benefit from great defensive plays behind them as if this isn't a team game. You're right, it's not debatable that you're completely wrong. A "mistake' is only referred to as a mistake if it leads to hits and runs scored which is what it means to say a pitcher only made "x" mistakes because they led to runs scored. All pitchers miss their spots several times a game and get away with bad location all the time, but I know how hard it can be for a baseball fan to grasp simple baseball terms. It's totally my fault and you're right that I was completely wrong to assume you'd be able to and it's not debatable at all. Totally wrong, I should be ashamed of myself. (I am)

Poor Tampa, having to play outside in the summer time. Maybe you can help carry them around the field in their palanquins, wave fans around their heads between plays and hold parasols over their heads when they are at bat. The poor guys having to play in such heat! Oh, the humanity. We definitely need a rule change to address that and I wouldn't be surprised if they protested the game based on the intense heat they had to endure the day before. It's amazing they came a few outs away from a perfect game, talk about luck. I think they should be allowed to bring their stadium with them so they can stay out of the sun. It's too hard to play outside in the summer time. Of course, they didn't get any favorable strike calls at all. The fact that you're complaining about the Orioles getting a favorable call just because of who the recipient of it was shows your lack of objectivity.

Please, do continue posting paragraphs about a topic you don't care about. You could at least be good at trolling and not "atrocious" since that seems to be your favorite word today. What other hardships did the poor Tampa players have to endure during this series? I really want to know. Maybe Esh set off some stink bombs in their locker room before the game. I think he probably did actually. Fortunately for them, Stanek and Yarbrough caught wind of the scheme and started their warmups on the field early.

Yeah, he was awful all game the first time too. He didn't retire 12 of the next 13 batters he faced after the first inning, either. I am aware of just how much you know as I've read more than enough of your posts here. You even got banned once for knowing so much which is impressive. I hope I can be so clever one day, too. It's not simple since you fail to grasp simple concepts, but hey, I'm glad you have taken the whole "ignorance is bliss" thing and run with it. It seems to be working out well for you and for that, I am happy. I can sleep well tonight knowing that and I appreciate it.

He had the same stuff for four innings in his first start with similar results. There's no coincidence, you just fail to identify good pitching when you see it and don't understand how things like "changing speeds" works. I don't "need' to believe it, I just have better understanding than you do. It's okay, though. Kyle Hendricks is terrible everyday too with his 8th rounder, mid-80's nonsense. Also, Wilkerson was great; 1,2,3 inning. Should be entering the Cy Young voting any time now.

Don't you mean skunk? I bet Tampa will be smelling that for weeks. Esh got 'em good.